Spoke threading question- old timer

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I've been messing with bikes for quite a while; but never did any work with spokes or threading them. I want to make a custom size wheel. The tube & tire problem is all set. I intend to use 14ga spokes. I want to know what the most standard thread size is, 0.4? 0.45? or what.
Any help will be apreciated.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thank you,
I had much of that info. However the info I did not have, you have now supplied. I can now proceed with making my excentric hub wheel.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
14g spokes are generally threaded 56tpi. Spoke threads are not cut, they are rolled (cold formed). The way this is done is a special roll-forming die is used for the correct size thread. The spoke diameter is already the right size for roll-forming. The die changes the flat profile into a sinusoidal-like wave for threads with no sharp edges. This makes a thread that is much stronger for two main reasons: no material is removed, and the forming process introduces great stresses in the material's grain structure. In fact, spokes are hammered/cold formed throughout the entire length to increase their strength.

Making your own spokes sounds like a PITA without a spoke threading tool.. even with one too..

What is this eccentric hub you're talking about?