ported muffler manifold
cns v3 carb (tuned)
jag cdi/coil
gutted muffler
moddified spark plug wire from a chevy 3400. e-tech would be ideal
ngk bp6hs gapped at .033"
91octane fuel mixed aprox 30-40:1 with royal purple hp-2c

purpose:
commuting back and forth to work. leasurly riding. bike tops out at 30mph and generaly cruise at 22-25.

i would like to upgrade the muffler, i was thinking about the sbp setup and tuning for low/mid grunt. i was also thinking about keeping the cns until i could afford the walbro and reed valve kit. would the puch head help at all? i like the looks of the cooling find a lot better thats for sure.

double pull brake levers are on my list. as well as changing the fuel/oil ratio with the next gallon of gas i buy. iv got almost a qt of oil to use up before i try a differnt brand.

any other good ideads for upgrades? especialy cheap/do it yourslef.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The Puch head may not fit in that frame, but I got a similar frame with a Fred head and it fits nicely with about 1/4 inch of clearance at the top bar. There's also a new head called the Diamond which is very similar in build quality to the Fred head but it's square instead of round and the price is similar to the Fred head so it's just a matter of preferance there. the Puch head will cost a lot less tho if you can get one to fit, but chances are that it won't fit in that frame.
Either head Puch, Fred, or Diamond will provide much better cooling than the stock head as well as more compression so again, it's all about preference and fit.
the CNS carb works really good once tuned but the Walbro will be easier to tune and will add a bit more top end and overall performance.
A good expansion chamber pipe like the SBP or the snake pipe that JNM sells will probably give you the most bang for the buck or you could modify a pocketbike pipe to fit and get good results.
There's a lot of us who also use the Opti2 oil and mix it at the recommended 100:1 which gives a nice clean and smoke free burn but it also protects the engine quite well along with making things easier to tune and easier starts. Many of us have over 1000 miles on our engines running this oil at 100:1 without any problems.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
good info! i looked into the snake pipe from arrow. they were too much money for my taste at the moment. iv been tossing around the idea of just building my own exhaust using some design software i found online. i made a thread about it in the exhaust section.

the cns is doing alright for me right now. its almost exactly the same as the mikunies on all my motorcycles.

i got about half a qt left of royal purple i need to eat throug but then i was going to try the opti 2. theres a dealer i ride by every day to work so why not!

as far as the head goes, i was more concenred about spark plug clearence to the frame. if coiling fins are an issue, coudlnt i just grind down the rear fins to make them clear the frame? i dont see why i couldnt and it would still be better then the stock set up. which puch head should i like for? is there only one?

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
good choice with royal purple ! i have been useing it for auto aplications for years.

i run lucas oil in my bike cause i cant find a royal purple dealer who has the 2 stroke oil in my aria

i also run 42:1

and yes the puch head is a great head but needs to be modded to fit ... it needs the holes reamed to 8mm and the squish band widend from 45mm dia to 47mm diamiter to propely fiy the jugs bore and piston crown. its well worth the 35$

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
They are a good head, it may need to be modified, the stud holes are not a direct fit, but can be redrilled to suit. Also the squish band does not suit the China Girl piston, but this can also be fixed.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There's a site to go to and look for the Puch Hi Hi head... http://www.treatland.tv You'll see the different heads there but the one you want would be the one they call the hi hi. Also lots of other goodies for your engine and bike to be found on that site.

You can trim off some of the fin to help with clearance issues since these heads have way more cooling surface than a stock China Girl head, Roger and Theon both gave you good advise on making the head fit your engine, just a few minor mods and these heads fit really well, make nice power due to the higher compression, and your engine will run considerably cooler. I went with the Fred head on my build, but the same or better performance can be had with a properly set up Puch head, mainly keep a tight squish band with .25 to 1.0mm piston to head clearance. The squish clearance can be adjusted by head and base gasket thickness. I buy the copper head and base gaskets from http://juicemotoparts.com/products.html in both thicknesses available then when I do a build I am able to get the right squish by using the different thicknesses at the base or the head and you can run double gaskets in either location to get the proper squish or to modify the port timing to give more low end grunt or more top end power. I like to raise the ports by adding thicker base gaskets then using thinner head gaskets for better high rpm power, but the opposite can be done for better low end power as well... just be sure to keep the squish clearance under 1mm but at least .25mm to prevent the piston from hitting the head and causing premature engine failure. My last engine worked out well with a .75mm squish clearance with excellent all around power, I've done some extensive porting to mine with about 12 degrees more port timing than I originally planned, but the tight squish clearance and good expansion chamber helped make up for that. The copper gaskets work best if annealed before using or reusing by heating them up to red hot then quickly dunking them into cold water, this will make the copper dead soft and help to seal even after several re uses.

Hope some of this helps you on your way to a much faster bike

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
i got looking around today and found a "high compression" puch head. now i ordered just an oem part-out head. will there be a difference? or is the high compression head a gimmic?
The high compression head is no gimmick, but you can surface any head by using the sandpaper on a piece of glass and running the head over the sandpaper in a circular motion you can shave off enough to get a good combustion chamber size, anything under 8cc's combustion chamber volume will do very well, you can also gauge your compression with a compression tester and set your compression above 130 psi but stay below 160 or you'll run into detonation problems or need to use racing fuel to keep it alive. My Fred head has a 6cc chamber and it makes about 145 psi on a compression test with no detonation issues using 93 octane premiun fuel mixed with the opti2 oil at 100:1
I think my engine gave me about 80 or 90 psi stock so there's a lot of room for improvement here.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
why have i never herd of the juiced site? haha. well heres the deal... i asked if the hi hi was a gimmik like as in our 66ccs are advertised as an 80cc. wasnt sure if there was a difference between the oem and the hi hi. well anyways i got the head in the mail last night. ill post pics to come. looking at the threatland site it shoes a stock "low compression" head having fins that go around the spark plug hole allowing really good air flow. they also show the old style "high compression" head having very square fins (square as in how they are layed out on the head) and is the only head to have such square fins. well the head that came in the mail was square style. so maybe i did get a high compression head for $10?? the combustion chaimber is a LOT smaller then the CG's. regaurds to fitting the head. im going to have to do some good mods including head bolts vs. studs in order to get a better head to fit my bike. so if a better head is going to work, it has to be the puch. no effing way will i buy a $60+ head and then go and grind it down haha.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
hear are the pictures of the puch head and compared to the stock slant head:

traced the head gasket onto the puch head:

if you look at the fins. you can see one of the four sides has fins that stick out further then the other three sides. my thought was to cut the "wall" near the spark plug hole so air will flow no matter how i position the head. then ill hvae the longer fins going forward on the engine.

all this assuming the head will fit in the frame with an installed spark plug.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
You can get a shorter plug, but hard to find,
BL-6H.
Can't remember who made it,
but it say's made in Japan.
I use it in my bike as the exhaust is in an awkward spot running over the center of the head.
I have the push hi comp heads,as the hi hi was not availiable at the time, they are the same as the hi hi but not shaved.
I then shaved and altered the combustion chamber.
Yours has a larger combustion chamber than the hi comp heads, but looks to be of good proportions. I'd give it a shave, and adjust the squish band to suit.