Grubbe GT5 from the case up ....

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
right now I have as much jb weld around the crank bosses as I can possibly fit without the crank hitting the jb weld if i need more i may fill the crank pin and balance holes

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
case poxy looks great i think that is a job well done. leave the 3 main bearings installed on the shafts. replace the 4th cluth main bearing.

l8r .... get a pipe.....
I am gona choose a pipe after the port and polish is all done and i have a rough estamate of where i have the power band, then i will make a pipe to compliment it

Although the fastest bike i ever built ran a short strait pipe........go figure

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
roger i just play dumb around here. straight pipe yes. just less fun. i have questions as i am bike guy till 8 months ago too :)

i could race u flat. up or down for fun if u want. you would win at 120kmh or 75 mph cause i have no intention of doing 120. personal safety first please

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
roger i just play dumb around here. straight pipe yes. just less fun. i have questions as i am bike guy till 8 months ago too :)

i could race u flat. up or down for fun if u want. you would win at 120kmh or 75 mph cause i have no intention of doing 120. personal safety first please

hey people think strait pipes dont work on 2 bangers bht they do just ask gordon jennings lol the problem with a strait pipe is .... it only has a verry short durration ehere the scaving effect is usefull but the short powerband it does create it holly **** powerfull so its only real use is to tune it to just before your tmax rpm so it comes on its short powerfull band just as you reach max rpm supercharging your top end ... tbe draw back is it robs you of power everywhere else lol but if you are building a drag bike i recomend trying it out

i am going to go with the s shapped pipe thst jnm sels and is seen on a bunch of arrow racers. i do want a broader powerband on this motor

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
No no no lol lol they sell a kit all pre prepped and ported and all that for 400$ roflao....
For that price i would just dup the money i.to my gx160 and smoke everything with pedals !

I would rather just buy a stock piston jug and puch head and dech and grind and trim it all down myself !!!! For 1/10th the cost !!!

I definatly have the skill lol engine building has been my hoby for 20 years ! I am,32 lol

And holly crap that plate idea is great for extra stuffing but i thought of filling the crank pin with jb weld and also filling the drilled crank holes with jb weld i mean that is in the case too and would displace even more volume right ? And i dont think it would add that mutch lb that it would through off the crank balance noticablt
Lol... i know they're already prepped and ported but that price? Ouch... I know you can make your own from a $20 jug and a $10 piston, I've seen your videos, pics, and you do make intelligent posts... I've been playin with 2 strokes since about 1981 also, I'm ... um... 45 now. Maybe that's why I can't see paying $400 for a pre prepped kit, and anyone buying one of these kits would definitely need the skill set to keep it running right, or in some cases just get them to fit on their bottom ends. I was just saying if someone actually pays that price they might as well get something that really rips for a lot less. For one of us to buy a pre prepped jug all we're paying for is the port map and most likely to find out our own numbers make better power and at the rpm we want.

Yes, you can stuff the holes in the crank and the crank pin to get even more case compression, you can use RTV (make sure it's the oxygen sensor safe stuff to ensure it's fuel proof) or you can use some foam to do the stuffing and cap it with JB Weld. It'll add some weight to the assembly but for the most part negligable. Jb for the small stuffs and foam + JB or rtv for the bigger holes should work just fine.

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
jetting is alot easier straight piped but back to the block. looks real good roger. ogh and all the pipe stuff sounds great half the fun is swapping 20 dollar pipes around.

charging 400 for a 20 dollar jug is insanity playing w fools money for sure.

l8r

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Wow cant believe it !!! Got stopped today by a guy who said hey wanna buy my motor bike lol so i followed him home and low and behold its a vintage huffy cranbrook steel frame all original with a spare set of coaster hubs and a front rim bolth with wide rims !!!! The ones custommotorbikes.com sells !!! He said he tried to hook up a motor to it and it wouldnt work lol he tried to drive it and broke the motor mount stud and an exhaust stud and stuck it in the garage he wants 50$ !!!

So for 50$ i get a vintage steel frame cranbrook with origian leather seat and handle bars all in awsome condition
A compleate 66 or 70 cc full motor kit
A spare gas tank
A spare rag joint and 44t rear
A sapre set of wide rims and a shimano e110 coaster hub with the wide rim on it and a wide rimed front tire xompleate !!!!

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
wow... Nice find!! so.. did you buy it yet?
you could easily have that one up and running in no time...
yup...
-a vintage huffy cranbrook steel frame cruiser with mint origional leather spring seat and regular rims on it
-a spare set of extra wide rims one is on a shimanno e 110 coaster hub and the other is a regular front hub
- a full 66cc or 70cc motor kit with nt carb and shorty intake the motor is not even broke in yet has less than 10 hrs on it !!!
- a spare aluminum gas tank
- a spare rag joint and 44t rear
- 2 spare brick pattern tires

i played real dumb saying things like ... ohhh man it needs a lot of work and wow that bike frame is mad old ... lol.... i was like aww man the studs are broke and kept playing the part knowing full wel the frame is worth that allone LOL LOL LOL am i bad ????? i dont feel bad !!!!roflao !
....i shook on it for 50$ !!!! i am picking it up in 2 days !!!

now i was gonna make a high end top speed racer out of a 29er shwinn hard tail with a disk break top hat adapter and this motor build up with a 40t rear but the addition of this vintage steel huffy cranbrook has me rethinking .... lol

i may clean up this frame ... it wont take mutch its in real good shape ...and use this frame with the wide 26in 2.125 or whatever rims and the shimanno e110 coaster hub, run a sweet front suspention with disk breaks, an in frame tank, and this built up motor with high midrange power and torquey port map and a custom torque pipe, and run big old knobby dirt tires and a 50-55 tooth rear sprocket and make myself a monster trail bike !!!!

pics of the cranbrook to come in a few days... and i am posting a video in a few min of the case work so far and the crank stuff process, just waiting for it to load to youtube from my tablet

damnit man the video will not play it just says unavilable... will reload it tomorrow... sorry guys ...

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Sounds good... That's usually the way it goes... got a good plan and then run into a great deal ya just can't pass up so plans change almost daily sometimes... lol
Glad to see you got that deal tho.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
My take on straight pipes is that to get them in tune they need to be ridiculously long.
the expansion chamber should broaden the power band as well as shortening the overall length of a 'tuned' pipe.
I seem to remember a vid of someone with a tuned straight pipe that was about 5 or 6 ft long.
Nice score on the old bike Roger.
I don't know about a 50+t sprocket though.
For dirt bike performance I recommend a reed and a 44t.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Uhhhh man no rest for the wicked !!!!

Ohh and i just noticed the pistol in the last vidoe lol dont be alarmed guys i am a gunsmith and that bench is actualy my gun bench !!! There were 2 other rifles in the room also lol

Today i had a dr appt and on my way home i found a perfextly good ladies mtb bike in the trash with 2 brand new off road tires 2 good tubes and front suspention with v breaks ... Also it has a lot of good cables levers a good crank and bars and other nick nacks and nuts and bolts ....

So i dragged it rollong beside me 4 miles home wile i pedaled my motor bike lol by the time i got home i couldnt pick up that othe bike i bought .... Whatcja gonna do ???

Guess i wil grab it tomorrow after work at least i got myself some great doner parts ¡!!!

& anyway even after i grab that motor bike and all the parts and rims tommprrow i stil wont have time to work on it because i am on the army state marksmanship team and we have a 3 day compatition at ft devans in western ma so i wil be gone all weekend ..

Anyway will grab everything tommorow and post a vidoe and then wil be back at it on monday .. Till then see ya round !!!

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
anyway with all of the spare parts that are coming with this bike and motor kit and all of that part I can pull up with this donner bike I should be able to put to gether a huffy Cranbrook in less than a week in any configuration I so well please, at litt le to no cost with either a coaster brake or a 7 speedrear derailleur

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Man it sounds like you're having all kinds of luck all the sudden... a killer deal on a classic cranbrook, and now another mtb with lots of good usable parts... I need some of that luck over here...

Not to worry about the guns in your video, I personally like having a few guns around myself, they are a lot more effective than dialing than 911 anyday, not to mention that 99.99% of the time just letting a would be attacker know you got one is more than enough to send them running.

I've been pretty busy over here the same way just enough to slow my project down to a crawl, then my welder broke (luckily it was just a gas line, but I had to open it up to fix it) and I needed to stop and find out what was wrong with it, then run out for parts, then come home and fix it and again, another day lost... And now... Rain, rain, and more rain right when I need to be riding it to break in the new engine... lol
But at least when it's raining I have plenty enough time to work on the smaller issues so the only real loss there is riding time.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
got the bike today and well the motor looks pretty good and the frame is solid ! i decided i am going to go full trike on this build !

-i will be stripping the bike to the frame and solid welding the trike rear end i have to the rear of the frame (trike rear end is brand new from a shwinn meridian and has a live axle and a 22t pedal sprocket)
-the trike axle will have a solid mounted left side 40t drive sprocket for the motor, a 22t right side freewheel sprocket for the pedals and will also have a 160mm disk break setup added to the center
- i will run my 36t chain ring to make the heavy steel trike easy to pedal and start
-i will also make a custom in frame aluminum gas tank out of diamond plate aluminum and the trike rear end will have a diamond plate aluminum truck bed with stained oak old pickup truck style wooden side railings !
-for handle bars i will run a set of MX style low bars
-for front forks i am going to sand down and repaint the cheapy mtb forks from the doner bike and run them for now as they will fit and have V breaks on them and are ready to go.. i will run this fron suspention setup till i can get a sweet set of hydrolic front forks with preload adjustment and a disck break setup.
-the motor is going to be a grubee gt5 66cc with a stuffed and ported and port matched case with a lightened top end upgraded bearings and jug raised .5mm and decked down for propper deck hight and squeltch clearance then ported for maximum power at a high midrange rpm, with a high comp head around 12:1 comp static and a tunned pipe for the upper midrange.... the jnm motors snake pipe same as seen on the arrow bikes, the motor will be piston port with a 3rd transfer set up to aid in directing the transfer flow with the higher case compression ratio,...with a power plenum intake from fred and a mikuni vm 18 or dellorto phbg 16 and a large high flow filter. OR i will just order the arrow grubee gt5 reed block jug and dellorto carb combo and correct the deck hight and make the piston mods for proper reed valve duration i have not decided yet.
- the color scheem will be a 2 tone metalic blue and aluminum with diamond plate acsents ! motor will be metalic blue with bare aluminum acsents ... shaved cooling fins case covers .. exe...exe...

let me know your opinion on this build please !

and uploading a new vid tonight of all the new stuff !

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
here is the same model bike i have with a trike rear end on it ... this is not the bike but a pic for referance as to what i intend the frame to look like when done.

mine wil be matalic blue with a diamond plate in frame tank and a diamond plate and stained wood railing pickup bed on the trike axle.

also the trike axle i have is far better than that one in the pick...

let me know what you think about this as a baseline for a high perfomance motorized bike !

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice.. you got a really good deal on that cranbrook and converting it to a trike will be cool and a lot of fun too. those type trikes don't like quick turns tho and can tip over, but it's also fun to ride with one of the rear wheels off the ground. You might want to consider lowering the rear section and using a layback seat post to put the rider weight further back for more stability... and a lowered cranbrook trike would really look cool