new bike with air induction

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I like it!

Kinda has a Yamaha V-Max vibe to it.........so, how about calling it "V-Min"?

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
thanks, the intake is a anodized aluminium drink bottle, most of it is rubber tubing, the center piece is pvc painted with krylon fusion black. i thought about going with all pvc but i like the rubber it gives me more flexabilty to put the intake where i want it.

Scary G

Aug 15, 2012
B.C. Canada
Looks cool but the problem with a system like that is you need to run your mixture rich. The faster you ride the leaner your mixture gets because of the forced air induction. At high rpm if your mixure leans out your engine will rev faster, giving the illusion of more power but whats really happening is your engine is destoying itself. Too lean of a mixture will cause the engine to overheat and eventually cease up after destoying the piston and cylinder. Looks cool and probably will give you some extra go but possibly at the cost of an engine. I would definitely recommend that you richen your mixture if you plan to run the induction.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I wondering about a set up like yours on a 4 stroke. Since oil mixture isn't an issue. Some of the 4 stroke carburetors also allow you to adjust the air/gas mixture as well.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks cool but the problem with a system like that is you need to run your mixture rich. The faster you ride the leaner your mixture gets because of the forced air induction. At high rpm if your mixure leans out your engine will rev faster, giving the illusion of more power but whats really happening is your engine is destoying itself. Too lean of a mixture will cause the engine to overheat and eventually cease up after destoying the piston and cylinder. Looks cool and probably will give you some extra go but possibly at the cost of an engine. I would definitely recommend that you richen your mixture if you plan to run the induction.
At the speeds these bike are capable of running, the ram-air effect is negligible and no special tuning is required.
Keep in mind guys, ramming air into a PISTON PORT engine is pretty useless anyway since both ports are open at the same time....
too much flow and the charge blows right through.

Scary G

Aug 15, 2012
B.C. Canada
At the speeds these bike are capable of running, the ram-air effect is negligible and no special tuning is required.
Keep in mind guys, ramming air into a PISTON PORT engine is pretty useless anyway since both ports are open at the same time....
too much flow and the charge blows right through.
Good point Maniac. My experience is with much bigger and faster bikes than these. I'll stay quiet from now on and leave the comments to the experts. Lol.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I did not intend to sound pedantic. It's just that it annoys me seeing people try to get free power with the same old tired gimmicks.
Turbo's, ram air, boost bottles, etc. really get me irritated by wasting new owner/builders money and time.
It's like this people: If there were some magical free horsepower formula, every factory would be using it. It would not be some "new" discovery. (until/unless it actually DOES happen)
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The ports are not open at the same time. Intake and exhaust.

Exhaust and transfer yes, but the intake piston port draws from the bottom of the piston skirt and there is no way that it is open when the exhaust port is open.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The ports are not open at the same time. Intake and exhaust.

Exhaust and transfer yes, but the intake piston port draws from the bottom of the piston skirt and there is no way that it is open when the exhaust port is open.
http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html
looks like you are correct. But I can look through the cylinder and see through the ports while working the engine.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If the intake and exhaust ports were ever open at the same time the flame would ignite the fuel in the carb and the whole thing would become a massive fireball.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Been doing this a long time. Just goes to show there's always something new to learn no matter how experienced you think you are.