Going for a ride in RI. 4/6/13

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I just finished my new bike and plan on taking a 20 mi breakin ride. Anyone that wants to come pleas post

The ride will be staged from a small park in Smithfield, RI.
20 Old forge rd.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=old+forge+rd+smithfield+ri+02917&spn=0.021538,0.039343&hl=en
We will meet up around 11 and hit the road around 12.

But be forewarned their are no facilities. Just trees and hiking trails. Parking is on street only, but their is almost no traffic at all. All roads on the wrought have ether a 25/15 mph speed limit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgbvL1pYgA&list=ULfbgbvL1pYgA&feature=player_detailpage
I ride these roads almost every weekend and almost never see cars except for a few select spots.

Also be forewarned that the laws governing motorbicycles in RI. are sketchy at best ,but i have never ben pulled over when encountering police on rides. And I have never seen police while in the area I have chosen for the ride.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Nice looking ride SlowBalt (^) Pedals are unusual to me never seen any like that. Is that something you added?
I took a diffrent path than most. I used 3.5" lowrider crank to clear the engine. Then i took a set of toasted pedals and bent and welded a piece of 3/4x1/8 steel to extend the pedals 2". 15 dollar solution to the engine clearence problem.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Sorry to hear that Jim. Either way I'll be rideing, If anyone wants to go.
If their are only one or two other riders ,i'll host the ride from my house.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
i'm new to this hobby and to this forum and while i'd love to attend, i'm not sure i'll have my new bike in my possession by then, ...i'm awaiting delivery of a Micargi being built for me by Pirate Cycles.

also, i live in Cranston so just riding to Smithfield would be a trek for me on a new bike, i'm not sure i'd trust it and i'd hate to be hassled by the man my first time out, lol.

...anyway, i'm sure we'll meet on the road one of these days.

peace, and stay safe, bozo

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
How'd it go?.... I had to be at the races here this past weekend or I would considered it....had my ne5 out today though.... Great weather finally

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I'm still having a bit of an issue with the carb. The bike itself runs grate but, under full throttle for over a minute the carb runs dry. I adjusted the float the only way you can on the stock carb. By bending a tiny piece no more than a 1/32. One way the carb floods 1/32 the other way it runs dry. After pulling the bowl and adjusting at least 10 times.
I think I have it now, but I wont be able to take it for a ride until Thursday. Unfortunately I have 12 hour shifts at my new job. so Thursday will be the first time I get to ride.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Is that the stock carb? If so its only gonna supply enough for intended rpms....on these bikes with better exhaust and higher rpms it probably will run out.......I put a whizzer type carb on my 212 and its fine but I don't hold it wide open...I'm surprised you can....how fast is it cruising then?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I took it for a ride today and the carb is now set. The 79cc tops ouy around 40mph. It likes to cruise at 30 mph at 4600 rpm. Supriseingly it has abought the same power as a well tuned 2 stroke kit. At least the ones that i tune.

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Had slowbalt come by today with his ride and we took a mini tour around the mystic area here...his 79cc runs really well...surprisingly peppy....I had a good time meeting another motorized bicycle rider and sharing ideas etc..shft.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I'm putting fuel in my bike tonight for the first time since last Fall. Had a lot of work to get done. Hopefully everything goes well and I'll be able to join you guys for a ride soon. I only live 2 miles from the Mystic Seaport and there are some nice rides around the area. Dan came out 2 years ago and we did a ride with a lunch break at the Daniel Packer.