I am just not getting this

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I am trying to replace the plug wire on my Huff Berry. I have read every thing posted and the PDF file sick Bike turned me on to when I bought the wire but it is all a no go. When I look into the CDI block there is a screw sticking out that the wire must screw onto but that just is not happening. I push and turn and do everything I have been told to do and the wire just pulls out in my hand. This bike has never started. The plug cap fell apart and parts went everywhere. I bought a new wire and still nothing. If I have to I will buy a brand new CDI but would really rather not. With this build it is buy, buy, buy. It should be a Huff Buy. How about some help?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I am trying to replace the plug wire on my Huff Berry. I have read every thing posted and the PDF file sick Bike turned me on to when I bought the wire but it is all a no go. When I look into the CDI block there is a screw sticking out that the wire must screw onto but that just is not happening. I push and turn and do everything I have been told to do and the wire just pulls out in my hand. This bike has never started. The plug cap fell apart and parts went everywhere. I bought a new wire and still nothing. If I have to I will buy a brand new CDI but would really rather not. With this build it is buy, buy, buy. It should be a Huff Buy. How about some help?
Well, its not rocket science. If you have the point of the sheet metal type screw exposed in the CDI and all the rubber removed from around it, the plug wire should screw down onto it pretty easily being rubber.... Just put the point of the screw on the conductor in the center of the wire and push while spinning the wire clockwise to thread it onto the screw. I would seal it on there with some silicone once your done to kinda glue it in place and seal it off from moisture....

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
When I look into the CDI block there is a screw sticking out that the wire must screw onto but that just is not happening. I push and turn and do everything I have been told to do and the wire just pulls out in my hand.
If your new wire is loose cut it shorter to get a new section and try again.

If it's still loose use some kind of glue to keep it in place. Hot melt, silicone, etc

A lot of the new CDI's have the wire glued.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you are using resistance wire instead of one with a metallic core you need to assure that the little threaded screw goes right into the center of the wire. Off to the side and it won't make a good electrical connection. The conductor of resistance wire is very small, a thread actually and it must make contact with the screw threads in the CDI.

I've been using a couple of drops of superglue on the wire after its screwed into the CDI and a short piece of heat shrink tubing to help reinforce that connection.

Get rid of the kit spark plug boot and replace it with an automotive quality one. You'll need the top cap that comes on the spark plug to work with a new boot.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Get rid of the kit spark plug boot and replace it with an automotive quality one. You'll need the top cap that comes on the spark plug to work with a new boot.

Tom
When he says wire, this is what he bought from Sick Bike Parts.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=39&osCsid=nqg7dh8u5jkf690u5mmvnt8ev4

SBP is very proud to carry top of the line Magnecor plug wires. These 12 inch long wires not only conduct excellently, they will not in any way interfere with the operation of your speedo although we can't make any guarantees with a wireless speedo. They have the best silicone outer insulator over an EMI designed alloy core. Heavy duty silicone boot included.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When he says wire, this is what he bought from Sick Bike Parts.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=39&osCsid=nqg7dh8u5jkf690u5mmvnt8ev4

SBP is very proud to carry top of the line Magnecor plug wires. These 12 inch long wires not only conduct excellently, they will not in any way interfere with the operation of your speedo although we can't make any guarantees with a wireless speedo. They have the best silicone outer insulator over an EMI designed alloy core. Heavy duty silicone boot included.

That is resistance wire and my point is that the wire MUST be centered on the threaded contact in the CDI. The "alloy" conductor in that wire isn't much bigger than a human hair and if the CDI's contact isn't threaded into it precisely it will be a bad or nonexistant connection. Users must understand the basics of electricity, especially high voltage applications like a spark plug/ignition system.

The metallic, preferably copper core wires comparatively, are much more forgiving in respect to installing it in the CDI and getting good electrical contact.

The OP also said, "the plug cap fell apart". How did that happen with the wire pictured above?

Tom

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The metallic, preferably copper core wires comparatively, are much more forgiving in respect to installing it in the CDI and getting good electrical contact.

The OP also said, "the plug cap fell apart". How did that happen with the wire pictured above?

Tom
It didn't, He said the plug cap fell apart on the original Chinese crap cap.
The plug cap fell apart and parts went everywhere.
I bought a new wire and still nothing
The only problem he is having is that the new SBP wire won't stay attached to the CDI.