Bairdco Built For Speed Bike...

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Now why am I envisioning Frankenstein-esque weld scars all over it?
Reinforcing webbing or plates at key points, skid plates, crash sliders, ect.
A sort of Mad Max theme.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
baird, how do you think the expansion pipe will make the bike feel? will it have a bogged down feeling until it hits the power band and then it will really start to pull? is that how these engine react to expansion pipes?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
honestly, i don't know.

the only expansion chambers i've used before are the SBP pipes, and i think they're too small for a heavily modified engine. i could feel the power band coming on at higher rpms, but i never felt any increase in power over some of the other pipes i built, from my insanely loud megaphone to the modified stock pipe with a supertrapp tip.

the chamber just seemed to lean my bike out to the point of destruction.

with this bigger pipe, i plan to run "seat of the pants" type tests on it, as well as gps runs to compare it to other pipes i've made.

i personally don't think an expansion chamber gives the giant boost everyone expects them to, or claims they do. maybe the arrow guys got the right set up, but i never used one..

i'll let you guys know if it works...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's all about port timing and a properly built expansion chamber for a specific engine will bring the engine to life. You can tune them (build them) specifically for top-end (high rpm power) or for low-end (lower rpm torque) if you know what you're doing.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
biardco i was reading how you are using alan bolts for the cylinder and head thats a great idea!! i need to replace my cheapo 6mm studs, could you please tell me how long the bolts are that you used! also that enpansion chamber looks pretty cool.
thanks glennbo
.wee.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
glennbo, i'm using a different head that's a lot thicker than stock, so the bolts i have wouldn't fit yours.

i got them at McFadden-Dale industrial hardware. i get all my hardware there for pennies. it costs about a buck to replace all the stock hardware on a china motor with allen heads.

they give you a 25% discount if you buy boxes of 100, so for about 5 bucks you can have enough bolts for 50 bikes.

i don't even remember the exact size. i just used a spoke to measure how long i needed, marked it, and brought it with me to get bolts.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
baird looks good

i hope you found a ride for the beach cruise tomorrow-- march 3rd
washington blvd.at the beach parking lot 10 am gather ride out 10:30 should be over
40 bikers showing up to ride fast and slow

ride safe

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
here's the progress i made before my crash...

tank's done and sealed with Caswell epoxy sealer, just needs a petcock.

engine and 28t sprocket are mounted, and the "finish" is coming along nicely.

not gonna get any work done on it for a coupla weeks till i can move around, but it shouldn't take long to get it all hooked up.

Attachments

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
theres a chemical process you can use to instantly rust it. its a combination of muratic acid and hrydrogen peroxide. you can get a life time supply for like 15$ at a hardware store...

look it up on google. i got some from a friend thats was premixed..

i think you want like 5% acid and let it sit for like 30 seconds then hit it with the peroxide. and repeat, then flat matte over the top

its what i used to patina bikes i built.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=468090

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are you gonna race that Speed Bike bro? Just had to ask knowing that you'll prolly say no. Bikes gotta cool look, got the look of a Ram with the reverse brake levers.

dnut