White wire L.E.D

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Since Iam not a electrician, How would you wire in 2 single L.E.D to the white wire without burning the L.E.D's? I have a bike that Iam working on and would like to have some accent lighting to add. keep in mind Iam only talking about 2 individual L.E.D lights.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
since magneto driven systems almost always produce inconsistent voltage, and especially with these little engines, the voltage in the white wire can spike fairly high, the only way to guarantee prevention of overloading the led's is to install a voltage regulator. You simply find out what voltage the led's are rated to, and buy a regulator for that voltage. However, if the voltage is too high, it may kill the engine at idle or prevent it from starting, so you will need a switch for the lights as well. I have a 6v headlight with a built in voltage regulator, and it kills my light at idle. I just ordered a mini generator which is basically an extra coil that picks up voltage from the magnet and I will be running my headlight off that from now on.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
i run a 6 volt tail light, wired directly to white wire with no switch. I have no problems starting up or at Idle. I just want to know what I need to be able to power 2 L.E.D lights.
I know, if you dont have a good plug wire or trying to run 2 lights off of the white wire, it's hard to start or not start at all.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
i run a 6 volt tail light, wired directly to white wire with no switch. I have no problems starting up or at Idle. I just want to know what I need to be able to power 2 L.E.D lights.
I know, if you dont have a good plug wire or trying to run 2 lights off of the white wire, it's hard to start or not start at all.
I know this is old and you probably either figured something out or just gave up all together.
Well, heres the thing, the way I run my LED lights, and how I used to run my accent lights on an old motorized bicycle was with just one 9V battery.
The battery ran the LED's for a good 10 hours before just giving up and shutting them off.
And they still ran for a good 2 nights after wards.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You need 6 LEDs.

3 each wired in series strings.

Connect the (2) strings in opposite polarity across the white wire and ground.

If it don't run use 4 LEDs in each string.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i could be wrong, but 2 12 volt led's in series uses 6 volts and mila amps +-+- if i remember from my high school electronics class 45 years ago. dennis

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Most LED's are about 2.5 volts.

3 in series will be ~ 7.5 volts. The white wire is ~ 6-9 volts AC if I remember right.

2 strings in reverse polarity will have one string firing on the plus cycle and the other firing on the negative.

If you wire ~26 of them in series, you can connect to 57 volts.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I've learned the best thing to do with the white wire is to cut it tape it off and leave it alone! .. but thats just me . for my lights I took the battery from my verizon modem and hooked it up to a regular car old school yellow fog fog light in the rear and a LED light on the front .

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've learned the best thing to do with the white wire is to cut it tape it off and leave it alone!
Hehehe, I cut the white wire off right at the magneto when I put my new 16g double insulated wire from the mag to the CDI and use a nice $30 lithium 1200 Lumen CREE front light I only need to charge once a month.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Why would you want to cut the white wire off?

If you don't use it for lighting you should at least connect the kill switch to it.

What do you want that POS switch connected to, your precious 400 volt CDI signal, or some low level 9 volt stuff you don't care about anyway? If you short the low volt coil it will kill all the flux in the core and the hi-tension side won't fire.

Makes much more sense than shorting out the hair guage wire in the ignition coil every time you want to stop the engine.