Headlight on springer front end

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have an idea for a headlight bracket on springer front end and would like to hear what some of you think. I drew a crude look at what I am thinking could be done, see below.

Where the 4 center holes are I would mount an L shaped piece that would let me bolt the headlight to the bracket. The bracket would be held on by pipe brackets that go around the fork struts.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Not sure about the actual mount as far as supporting the light but one consideration would be that on a springer the fork pivots away from or toward the head tube as the spring is loaded/unloaded. That would mean that your headlight would be pointing down or up and maybe sometimes parallel to the road surface depending on how bumpy the road is. Personally I prefer mounting to the handlebars or the stem on a springer. Just my two cents though.

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I say give it a try ,if it fails off try something else,it looks WAY too wannky to me and it will jiggle with every grain of sand you roll over,I broke a lot of stuff figgerin my stuff out GOOD LUCK Later be safe Bob

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
More important what kind of break are you gonna run? here"s the order #1 put motor on bike #2 get bike running good(chain stays on)#3Make bike STOP#4 All the rest of the stuff BE SAFE Good luck Bob

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
More important what kind of break are you gonna run? here"s the order #1 put motor on bike #2 get bike running good(chain stays on)#3Make bike STOP#4 All the rest of the stuff BE SAFE Good luck Bob
Are you asking what kind of brakes will I have? If that is what you are asking then it will be a drum brake up front and coaster in the back.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Not sure about the actual mount as far as supporting the light but one consideration would be that on a springer the fork pivots away from or toward the head tube as the spring is loaded/unloaded. That would mean that your headlight would be pointing down or up and maybe sometimes parallel to the road surface depending on how bumpy the road is. Personally I prefer mounting to the handlebars or the stem on a springer. Just my two cents though.
Oops kind of forgot about the movement part of the springers. Well looks like it'll be some other mount to be done.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
Don't worry about the elevation changing with the springer. Motorcycles do the same thing. You not going to be going fast enough to have that become a hazard, hopefully. Just put your weight on the bike where it normally belongs and adjust the light from there and live with the ups and downs of the light when in motion.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I found that my generator light likes to be mounted far forward and as low as possible for best visibility. I have a basket on the front and mount the light in front of it and almost touching the tire and it works great.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Still need to wire it up, so right now it is more for looks than anything. Waiting on my LED and heat sink that I ordered for changing it over to a LED bulb.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Looks right. Have you checked out how much bounce you get at night yet?
When I took it out for a ride today after I put the light on it I didn't see it bouncing up and down that much as the forks compressed and uncompressed. The proof in the pudding will be when I have power to it and it is lit up.