Rules For Racing...

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
problem with pedaling a lap, is the tracks are 3/4 to a mile long. after riding all day, i sure don't want to pedal for a mile.

and people with pull starts would be screwed.

we'd need an ambulance on site with a defibrillator for all the heart attacks.

not a lot of healthy "atheletes" riding motored bikes...:)

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Hey Scotto,

Ditto, ditto and ditto. Electrics don't like to race electrics.......why???????? They don't like to beat each other? So it seems.

I don't mind 1 iota racing electrics that are of equal power, but how do you truly determine that??? This is the only gray area I see at the races and I attend most all of them.
Look at the past e-races, its been like running a 50cc 4stroke against 300cc 4strokes. At the last Grange race, I was the "only" electric running. I've no desire to run in the unlimited class; would rather run in a low-power pedal class. Yes, 'Aleman' I'm a pedalhead, love those century rides! Would love to find out how my upgraded e-chaser compares with #98 Nashmoto.

Determining e-power isn't hard except for attitudes; I'll let others lead with their chins on this issue! Mention generic ways to set power restrictions and you'd think some folks lively hoods had been threatened.
1) heat is your primary power limiter, (or more precisely, how fast a motor can shed heat) how big the electric motor is roughly determines its' power once hot, after a few laps. ie simply length X diameter will yield a crude though doable size limit (as well, screwing on full power in early laps actually drastically cuts overall power a lap or 2 later)
2)power inputed; nominal battery Voltage X controller Amperage (this can be mickeyed just as mods on gas bikes can be)
74V batt X 40Amp controller = 2960Watts divide by 750W around 4hp
Times 2 it could be equated to an 8hp gas bike, but not really. I'd have no problem running my 4hp electric, more technically 3hp, in the sub 10hp 4stroke or 2stroke China Girl class, but unlimited is not for bikes that one can pedal out of corners.

I think electrics should establish themselves before calling for rules that appear to favor 'em. Recently, we've started to finish races and finish well, so maybe next year?

1 electric horsepower to 2 gas horsepower would be close to even though gives gas a little advantage

Same yet slightly more technical e-power calculation here: http://http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41072&page=2

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just racing takes a toll on a body, even if you're in good shape. i know by the end of the day, i'm completely worked and don't even want to look at my bike for a few days...:)

get a, uh, husky guy on a 100+lb cruiser, combined with a 32-19 sprocket combo and extra wide cranks?

well, it'd be funny to watch...:)

oh, and i run a 48-16 on my pedal side. with my little bike, it helps. and i pedal my ass off during the race...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Shoot started to thinking? For the powerful peddling folks this would just be a warm up for peddle engine assisting when the real racing starts

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
DMB, there are kart classes where there's a minimum gross weight for the kart and rider, perhaps if your numbers rise you could look at having the same. Speaking as a lightweight, for the first time in my life I had an advantage when I went racing and I wouldn't want to give it up.

Imagine Usain Bolt doing 100m and I get to do 25m? Or we'll have 110m hurdles, but I get an allowance that gives me 30m and small step to get over? I'll sign up now!

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
1 lap piece of cake! but some would clearly fall back within 50' LOL
Advantage Scotto, Aleman, me

My big ring is a Kennedy and 3 Lincolns

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If we pedal start the race for the first 50' it should be with the engines off or the e-bikes unplugged, and we should line up on the other side of the pits and run to the bikes.
Yeah, then we could get a kiddie lap pool and do a 50m swim and call it a tri-athelon! I'm down wit dat!

Run Swim Ride (Race) .wee.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Howabout pedal the first lap, race till the white flag, kill the engine and pedal to the checkered flag! I'm serious. See if liveforphysics is up for this.....I know Will (SoSauty) and I am. Anyone else fit enough for this type of racing? Without my cvt I can pedal allday long on the Slant. So put your money where your mouth is pedalheads.....Let's Race!

In cycling we are known as "Hammerheads".

.wee.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I peddled my BoXer home once from a broken throttle cable. Can actually pedaled it very well! A few more times for forgetting to fill my gas tank..I had some 50+ thousand miles of peddle practice before a engine assist spoiled me. The engines spoiled me a lot too.:p rotfl

Once you find a cadence it will be a matter of time before the flies around you start dropping.:D

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Howabout pedal the first lap, race till the white flag, kill the engine and pedal to the checkered flag! I'm serious. See if liveforphysics is up for this.....I know Will (SoSauty) and I am. Anyone else fit enough for this type of racing? Without my cvt I can pedal allday long on the Slant. So put your money where your mouth is pedalheads.....Let's Race!

In cycling we are known as "Hammerheads".

.wee.
I'm down for this! I can pedal my bike for miles without any problems.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
tri-athelon sounds great, but lets do a quad-athelon -run,swim,race- then whoever drinks a 6-pack of their favorite brew wins!
Mag's quad sounds like a winner to me.......on yer marks.....get set.....GO!

The only disadvantage I would really have is gettin through that sixer of SN Bigfoot in the end. It's a hefty 9.6% abv barleywine! But I'm down wit dat ;)

Let the games begin!
.wee.