Friction Drive Kubota dynamo works great!

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Got 'er done today. Keeps my battery charged for my powerful lights. Works great, very simple. No switch needed except for the lights.
I have it mounted with a spring keeping it engaged, and a locking clutch lever to lock it dis-engaged.
I fitted bronze bushings in the pivot. I need to move the regulator from strapped to the battery, it emits a lot of heat when charging.

--1.jpg

112.jpg

xxx.jpg

IMAG0489.jp114.jpg

Last edited:

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i like it!!! is it keeping the battery fully charged??i wondering if i could run one off the jackshaft using a small v belt pully it will be a tight sqeeze but its possible, so how many watts are your headlight and tail light? and do you have a wiring diagram i could see??i would love to try this little generator..

glenn

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yes, it keeps the 4AH battery at about 12.9v with lights running continuous and 13.2v with no load. Could easily run way more lights and prolly a refrigerator too LOL

The wiring is bone simple, no switches or gages needed. Hook the 2 dynamo wires(ac curent) to the 2 yellow input wires on the snowmobile type regulator. Hook the black and red regulator wires to the battery and you're done with the charging system.
To test it, simply watch for the light to get slightly brighter when you engage the dynamo.
Edit: 55w headlight and standard marker light . jackshaft drive would prolly be better in most ways, but there is considerable parasitic drag to consider, if it's going to be ridden a lot with the lights off .

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Fifty-five watt headlight? If you rigged up 55W of good LED's, you could have a headlight bright enough to approach or pass the edge of legality!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Gald that you found one.. You might have to do some machine work to get a sprocket on it. If you don't have it yet, you can use a regulator from a motorcycle or riding mower or any motor that used a lighting coil. You can also buy then pretty cheaply from ultralight or snowmobile suppliers.

Awesome bike in the pics! What kind of engine is that?

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
hey wayne i got the kubota on the bike! you were right about putting a sprocket on for a drive way to much trouble. can you please tell me what kind of rectifier your using make model i would like to give it a shot! here are some pics of a schwinn im building with the dynamo. the bottom pully screws in and out to adjust tension. have a battery just need a belt and the rectifier.

thanks glenn
THIS IS GOING TO BE SO COOL

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I used the cheaper model sold by the ultralight aircraft parts vendors. Try California Power Systems. Also J-bird snowmobile parts in Kewaskum Wi. Cost $20 about 10 years ago Mine is actualy for a snowmobile with Rotax engine. You can also use one salvaged from a larger riding mower or an outboard motor, or any motorbike that has a 4 wire regulator, 2 wires to the light coil and other 2 to batt..

Your bike is Awesome!!

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
well great ill get it lol! THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR TIME!! also thanks for the compliments on my build! i will keep you posted on this it has opened up so many possibilities! headlight tail light brakelight turn signals neon markerlights and maybe an amp for a mp3 player lol the list goes on and on you found a little gem in the dynamo..

thanks again glenn

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
latest on the kubota project found the right belt at grainger little 20 incher was only 5 bucks locked everything down evrything seems good peddled the heavy beast for two blocks all chains an belts tracking good although they are a little loose still. hopefully have this thing running with some cool lights in about a week the rectifier should be here monday..

glenn

Attachments

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
awesome stuff,guys.
i have a good source for the generator,as we run kubota powered lawn equipment.
i had wondered about them little things when i was servicing the mowers this spring.
i think one is gonna need replacing soon.....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You will be pleased at how simple and reliable these dymamos are. 10 amps will run some pretty powerful lights, What are you using for a battery? I have a small 4 ah sealed battery from the 'Shack on mine.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
my rectifier arrived today so now i can finally set this thing up i was thinking maybe a faux rear tank to hide the battery, and rectifier? since mounting the battery under the engine will be lots more work.. i got the schwinn running this week and was playing with the gear ratio ended up 10/20/10/54 still a little vibration but not bad the kubota and belt were tracking flawlessly on the oppisite side of the jackshaft. its turning out to be a cool cruiser even my daughter enjoyed riding it were shes affraid of the 212 roadmaster. have some pics up after i get it set up

peace out
glenn

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
been really busy with the schwinn mounted the rectifier,had to come up with a headlight,tail light, switch, temporarely mounted battery behind seat, but after all that IT WORKS GREAT!!! post a pic tommorrow.

glennbo.flg.

JackShaft

Oct 10, 2010
Auburn, Ca
The Kubota Alternator is a good idea. I see that John Deere sells one that appears thinner but it looks like it has a larger diameter.
Without knowing width and diameter I guess I will buy the Kubota.
I want to power the alternator from a SIC bike parts jackshaft.

Today I ordered a 5" plastic headlight with a glass lens. I also ordered a Hobbit headlight bracket + the Hobbit handlebar brackets. I also ordered a Tail light. Both tail light and head light use a 1157 bulb. The lights are all stock moped parts so I hope they will make my bike closer to being legal. I ordered the parts from treatland.tv

I will have to go back and read to figure out which rectifier to buy.

This thread has been a lot of help. Thanks!

Last edited: