Michigan Motorized Bicycle laws, what are they?

GoldenMotor.com

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
I find that reading the MB laws in this forum for various states to be very interesting and different. I have been riding my 66cc Chinese engine powered mountain bike in the country (Michigan) and I am lucky to even see a car, not alone a police car/officer but one day, I suspect that I will--what will I say to him/her if I am questioned about my bike? I am 76 years old, have a drivers license, motorcycle endorsement, and a perfect driving record. What could they say to me??? I have not seen a clear, concise law in print like the one on this forum for Tucson, AZ for the state of Michigan. BMF

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Re: Michigan MB laws, what are they?

There seems to be no direct laws for motorized bicycles in Michigan. You can build electric or meet the requirements of a moped. Your DMV should be able to fill you in on all the moped laws.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) Act 300 of 1949

257.32b “Moped” defined.

Sec. 32b.

“Moped” means a 2- or 3-wheeled vehicle which is equipped with a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, and cannot propel the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface. The power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

History: Add. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977 ;-- Am. 1983, Act 91, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1983

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

MB Fun-

It really depends on the officer, and the mood the officer is in that day.

I have (illegally) ridden in Ohio for several years, and ridden by various local, county, and state police, and only a couple of times (by the same rookie state patrol) was there ever any problem.

Haven't seen him in awhile now....I think he must have been re-assigned to a different area of patrol.

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan

LRJerry & BikeGuyJoe: I have a moped that is licensed here in Michigan so I am good to go there. When I am completely finished with my MB build, I will take photos and check with my local licensing folks. One of my MB accessories will include a holder for my cane! Again, I am 76 years old; what could he do to me??? BMF