Headlight battery... Connecting wires

GoldenMotor.com

Ancient Order

Feb 29, 2012
Tucson
I'm somewhat worried about having the battery of my headlight right under that gas tank; whenever I connect the plugs it makes a little spark. Should I be worried?

Also how can I connect the two plugs so that I'll be able to attach and unattach one of them instead of using a switch? Is there some sort of adapter?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
"Also how can I connect the two plugs so that I'll be able to attach and unattach one of them instead of using a switch? Is there some sort of adapter?"

go to local car store that sells audio and electronic components and they usually have a section where they sell wire and crimp on connections of the type for both the battery and the wires that come from ur headlight.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I really don't like the idea of a battery under the gas tank, but if it is the only place that you have to put it then after you connect the battery wires I'd coat both terminals with a insulation coating like you will see on insulated wire cutters. They sell the coating in a can in the tool/electrical department in many stores. Places like Radio Shack has a large variety of connectors, along with auto parts stores. As far as a spark when you hook up your light to the battery...the light or wires has a small short/draw on them. Before I installed a connector, I'd look at a inline roll switch, like you might see on a lamp. You can even use a headphone jack, and they sell a female

http://www.radioshack.com/search/in...jack&origkw=1/4"+Mono+In-Line+Audio+Jack&sr=1

Attachments

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Are you going to charge the battery without taking it off all the time? Seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to use the frame for a negative ground system like a car. Make sure you fuse it whatever you do - as a former electric bike owner, it only takes a second or two to start a fire when you get a short.

I don't know what's wrong with a switch, it could be isolated remotely and you could pigtail an adaptor for the charger also.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I'm somewhat worried about having the battery of my headlight right under that gas tank; whenever I connect the plugs it makes a little spark. Should I be worried?

Also how can I connect the two plugs so that I'll be able to attach and unattach one of them instead of using a switch? Is there some sort of adapter?
1 you should sheild the battery an insulate it as in mount it securly in a saddle bag the way yours hangs there I think that under some circumstances it could come loose an that could be really bad especially if it ended up under a tire at speed or tangled in one of your drive chains .
2 ground it to the frame use a switch and a inline fuse its much simpler to run 1 lead to your lights than 2