Good speedometer needed

GoldenMotor.com

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Hey guys, I'm in need of a good quality speedo under $50 and it has to be corded, wireless won't work on my bike due too the pulse of the magneto. The one I have now I believe is inaccurate past 32MPH and if I'm right it could be off as much as 5MPH which for me is not satisfying. So any suggestions are welcome.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have had good performance from the cheapo($12) Schwinn from Walmart. I have them on several of my bikes, and also on my BMW M/C to act as an odometer. The BMW K bikes have odo problems, but the speedo still works. I did a careful run out of the front tire, and entered the value into the unit. It consistantly reads exactly with the BMW speedo. I havent exceeded the 99mph limit, but I know its good to 85. Entering accurate tire info is key to getting accurate speed readings. I really enjoy the trip computers on a long M/C trip, such as max speed,time riding etc. All for $12. Im sure there are better units, but these work fine.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
HMMM. I have wal-marts more exspensive speedo but maybe it's just not keyed in right? I'm gonna mess with it a little today see what happens. Thanks cannon.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Do you have a smartphone? There are a few apps to display your speed. It's GPS accurate if that helps. All you'd need is a mounting thing to put on your handlebars. There's a number of them around including waterproof ones.

If not, I'd personally just go to amazon and find one with good reviews. No less than 4.5 stars and read through some reviews to see if they mention it being accurate or not.

like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-BC-1009...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1328557386&sr=1-1

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Sad to say, I have neither a smart phone or a GPS. My brother has but it's HUGE, and i'd be scared of dropping it and sealing my fate.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i use the cheap scwhin one to it works perfectly ive verified its accuracy with my gps and my wifes car its dead on all the time you do have to make sure you enter the right info if not you will get crazy speeds from it .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm another Wally World, $12.00 cheapo user. They seem to work just fine with the exception that on rare occasions they reset themselves. Maybe once or twice during a riding season. You're right about the wireless kind. They're susceptible to RF interfernece from the ignition system but the wired ones aren't as long as you keep the sensor wire away from engine components. I usually mount my CDI to the seat tube, not the down tube and keep the speedo wire away from the kill switch wires and clutch cable.
I had one that was dead out of the box but four others have performed perfectly.

As for programming you can get the number a couple of ways. Carefully measure the circumference of your front tire, convert to millimeters and that's the number. Another way is to make a mark on your tireand on the floor where the mark meets it. Roll the bike forward one wheel revolution (keep the wheel straight, no turns). Mark the floor again where the tire mark hits and measure that distance. That's the number, again in millimeters, you program in.

One critical aspect is alignment of the spoke sensor (magnet) with the little arrow on the front of the pickup that clamps to the fork. They must align perfectly and as close to each other as you can get them without contact.
Tom

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How did you get exact number to punch in? Cause right now that's my main problem.
You have to measure the circumference of your tire. I put a piece of tape on the rim, and on the ground next to the rim. Then roll the wheel one time around and put another piece of tape on the ground. Then measure the distance between the 2 pieces of tape on the ground.

After that you have to convert it from inches to mm. For a 26" wheel it'll be around 2038-2050mm.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
AAhhh-HHaaa! Thanks guys that helps a ton. Cause I know I'm close to what I'm supposed to punch in the speedo but not sure exactyly what number, but thanks to you guys I'll find out. Again thanks guys! :)