First build!!

GoldenMotor.com

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
This will be my first build. Well I guess you can say half ass build because I am gettin my bike customer made from someone else and sent to me. Then I will put the motor on myself and also try and mod my motor to my liking. My question for everyone is this: what would be the fastest and most reliable 4 stroke engine? I know speed is not something the 4 stroke has but I was just wondering if there might be a faster one on the market. Also can I get a gallon tank or do they only come with 1/2 gallon tanks? I am also open to any advice or criticism. Like I said. My first bike and in need of help.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Hmm, fast and reliable? Maybe look at something like a 1300cc inline four, you know, like the Hayabusa!
JK, don't actually try that.

If you want to go powerful four stroke, you're probably gonna do a bit of custom work. Something reliable would be something Honda, check this out to see what they have available: Honda Engines - Small Engine Model Information
There is also the predator line of engines from harbor freight, of which the 99cc and 212cc have been used on bikes. Scotto has used a 212 on his race bike "Slant", use the search to find his build thread. These are honda clones, and have proven to be pretty reliable as well. They are also very cheap to buy. Only 100ish bucks a pop.
Then there's Briggs engines, of which there are too many to count, and have also garnered a few builds here. Search and ye shall find.

There's lots of different big reliable four strokes, just search around, and you'll find a ton of info here.

Oh, and there is indeed a 4 litre peanut tank available. I think BoyGoFast on eBay has them. Not sure about that though.

Last edited:

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Thank you very much for your input I do appreciate it a lot I'm extremely new to this as you can probably tell haha . I have a few pics of the bike that ill be recieving soon that ill attach to this message. The bike will be the same as in the pics except it won't have the 2 stroke engine or any engine at all for that matter and it will prolly have some disc brakes. Although I know you can't see the dimensions of the bike or anything I was thinking if maybe you can tell me what kind of engine would be best to fit on it. As I sed before I am looking for speed and reliablity. I did take a look at the engines you posted a link for and they were some really good looking engines. Thank you for your input tho sir i sure do need it. I was also wondering how fast those motors would get me goin? And how much hill climbing ability they would have. Cuz I'm from the bay n ima want take my bike out to san Francisco n have some fun with it ha I'm sure it won't climb the real steep ones but jus wondering wat kinda incline they'd b able to tackle haha. Thanks well. Seems like it won't let me download the pics on here to my phone ill post another message on here with the site the bike is posted on.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Oh nice, I've done a build with that bike. I know for sure it will fit both the chinese two strokes and 50cc four stroke kits, but I don't think it will fit a larger four stroke such as a 99 or 200cc. Don't quote me on that though, as I very well may be wrong. If you need measurements, I can provide them.

A 99cc will get you up any hill you find if geared to go 35 max. A 200 will 45-60 and with a CVT, will get there quick fast in a hurry.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Oh ok but once you get up to those size engines you have to have a license am I right?? There's no modifications or anything you can do to a 49cc 4 stroke to get it goin faster? And how wide are the 200s? And do you have any suggestions on a bike that would fit them?? Thanks again for all the help ha I know I ask too much but Im new to this n want to start educating myself and who better to learn from than the best motorized bike forum out there haha really tho everyone's alota help on here n I appreciate it I'm sure u guys will help me a lot through this build and many more to come.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Oh ok but once you get up to those size engines you have to have a license am I right?? There's no modifications or anything you can do to a 49cc 4 stroke to get it goin faster? And how wide are the 200s? And do you have any suggestions on a bike that would fit them?? Thanks again for all the help ha I know I ask too much but Im new to this n want to start educating myself and who better to learn from than the best motorized bike forum out there haha really tho everyone's alota help on here n I appreciate it I'm sure u guys will help me a lot through this build and many more to come.
There's a lot you can do to a 4 stroke. All the usual hop-ups like porting, bigger carb, hotter ignition, improved exhaust, milling the head, and if your lucky you might find cams or might be able to have a stock cam re-ground.
The law doesn't care about mods, all they care about is the CC's stock.

I've seen but lost the link to a 4 stroke 50cc Chinese knock-off Honda Cub motor with a 4 speed automatic transmission. Price is like $140 or so. I know there's modification parts for it so that would help.

I'll see what I can do about finding that link :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-Fully-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6f6b43b4

hehehe found it :)

Last edited:

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Niiice that for sure seems wat I'm looking for thank u very much sir that helps ill be sending for my bike soon so ill need to send for an engine too. Sorry I'm very new to this will I have to buy the engine "kit" seperately or will the engine come with it? And will that one with the mods get me in the 40 mph club? Haha plus one nor question how is the 5g flying horse?? Jw cuz the one u brought up seems more like what I'm looking for.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
That engine is ment to be a replacement so it has nothing but what you see. No carb or intake manifold or exhaust.

You might also look at Morini motors on a used pitbike. They can be real cheap or kinda expensive. I got mine off of eBay with a pipe and carb for $315 shipped. For that same money your in the ballpark with the Cub replacement but with a new 4 stroke w/auto trans.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Ok yea I heard a lot about those motors. So I've been hearing about the ezm qmatic a lot lately . How are those motors?? I've heard they're the best. Also heard a Lil bout some subaru engines as well. How are these?? And what would b the cheapest I can get a ezm at with the full kit and everything?? And last thing haha I have never done a build or even anything of this nature so would it be hard to put on?? I will probably have someone else weld the mount on the bike and do the rest myself will it be hard to do?

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
The EZM Qmatic is not a motor, it is a transmission that attaches to the motor, and yes, I would say its the best. Usually they attach to a 50cc honda or huasheng 4 stroke, but can also attach to a 99cc predator. I believe they are like $279 or something. Keep in mind the 50cc doesn't have all that much hill climbing power.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Well I hear a 99cc will get up any hill but there's no way of passing it off as a 49cc :( I guess I may be asking for too much at once lol jus wana get as much speed capability as I can without hinting to the police that my engine is more than 49cc. Cuz well jus say I'm a known person in my town and the police aren't too fond of me. I've had a million n one driving without a license tickets. Hince the means of trnsportation without needing a license haha but I don't want it to look too suspicious ha so let me ask this.... How much am I looking at spending if I'm goin to get a 49cc and mod it to the point where I can go 40? If not possible what is my best option to keep it 49cc looking but have more kick to it lol. There's not many if any at all of these bikes where I live. So I don't think I will be under too much scrooteny but at the same time I am planning on taking it so many of the bigger cities as well like san dean n san jose.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Yes that was my first thot was a two stroke . Only reason I decided to go with the 4 stroke is because I will be taking a lot of long trips and from what I hear you need to stop n let a 2 stroke cool down every thirty mins. Plus I heard 4 strokes are just a lot easier and more reliable. I guess I will just have to stick with the slow speeds. Will a 99cc be too big??

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
You do not need to let a 2 stroke cool off every 30 mins. I've ridden mine for far longer and it has been totally fine. 4 strokes would be more reliable though, due to the dedicated lubrication system, and generally are made better quality than the chinese 49/66 2 strokes.

If you're just going to be riding around and not racing, I would say 99cc is the largest you should go. (It will be enough) You don't have to listen to me though.

Last edited:

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Right that's y I wanted to go with the 4 stroke. So do u think a 99cc will b too big? Like the predator or Honda 100? Will it be overkill? I haven't seen the engines in person so that's y I ask will it be extra big on my bike to where the police will want to ask?? I mean I already plan on taking the stickers n stuff off but will it be obvious?? N will it be so wide that it will b in the way of me pedalling?

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
The Harbor Freight website says the predator is 11.5 inches wide. That is too wide for stock pedals. You can see pretty well its not 49cc.

I would recommend just going with a 66cc chinese 2 stroke. They can be had for 150 for a whole kit, and will pull you at up to 40 mph. Also very difficult to tell between it and 49cc.

With a predator build your looking at 500 plus for the whole bike, if you do a lot of custom work. More if not. Versus 250-300 for a 66cc bike.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Ok yea I may just have to go with that. how long can I ride it for?? Cuz i will probably be riding it from city to city a lot of different places and I don't want to blow it up by taking it on too long of journeys haha but your right it seems that's my only choice at this point.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Well, I can say don't go far with one if you mind having to pedal home. These motors are pretty finicky, and are not that reliable. There are a few that shine, but most aren't all that great. If you want reliability, that's a rack mount four stroke.