Question About Getting Pulled Over in B.C,CA

GoldenMotor.com

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
Hello all if I were to get pulled over by a cop in B.C and killed my engine before he saw me could he give me a ticket(s) and/or impound my bike if I just said I was riding the bike and not using the engine?From what I know riding a bike isn't illegal and if he asked why my engine was hot couldn't I just say it was friction from the clutch?Thanks Keith

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why might he even be pulling you over in the first place? I wouldn't worry about it until it actually happens. Sounds like you might be a bit paranoid and are expecting something to happen that maybe should?...or not?

Ride legal and use your head.....you're not guilty until proven so.....

dnut

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Why might he even be pulling you over in the first place? I wouldn't worry about it until it actually happens. Sounds like you might be a bit paranoid and are expecting something to happen that maybe should?...or not?

Ride legal and use your head.....you're not guilty until proven so.....

dnut
I concur! When ever I see the police, I look right at them & smile & wave. (Because I'm not doing anything wrong). ;)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Want them to not bother you? Put a head light, tail light with brake light and maybe turn signals, a mirror and wear a helmut.

Oh, and don't speed or zoom in and out of traffic. I know it sucks but you have to not give them a reason to stop you, be as legal as you can goes a long way to keeping the conversation with a cop down to, " Where did you get this?!?" :)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You will be pulled over just for having a motor on your bike. They won't care if it's hot or cold. They aren't legal in Canada.
Only an electric motor not over 500W. Read the I.C.B.C. web page.

Yes, they will take your bike unless you get very lucky. They will also leave you with a fine that you won't forget in a hurry. I think the minimum is around $750.00 and there may be points on your licence but I'm not sure. You know how I.C.B.C. likes to get you for all they can when you go for insurance.

Lights,horn or anything else won't help you here. Call Bike Lane at 604-531-1363. They are on King George Blvd and they can tell you what the laws are here. They sell e-bikes.

I'm in Cresent Beach if you want to PM me.

Steve.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is the federal government web site about what is legal and what the different bikes are.
Ours are #3. Read all the way to the bottom. It's an interesting bit of reading.

Canada Gazette

Steve.
Thanks for posting that Steve, it was some interesting reading. The only thing I didn't see was gasoline powered bicycles ie. internal combustion engine powered. They are just flat out illegal in Canada?

dnut

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Scotto,
Yes, they are flat out illegal in Canada.

The police are getting more and more savvy about this now that more bikes are showing up. Courts are getting meaner as well.
Even owner converted e-bikes have to have two official stickers in French and English to be legal. Who ever sells the parts should include this with the kit or I wouldn't buy it.

The police are stopping e-bikes now from what I've heard to see if the stickers are in place. If not I think they treat them like an ICE powered bike.

Steve.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that......motorised biking in beautiful British Columbia isn't possible. I remember canoe surfing up in Long Beach as a child......awesome scenery in that neck of the woods.

dnut

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Hello all if I were to get pulled over by a cop in B.C and killed my engine before he saw me could he give me a ticket(s) and/or impound my bike if I just said I was riding the bike and not using the engine?From what I know riding a bike isn't illegal and if he asked why my engine was hot couldn't I just say it was friction from the clutch?Thanks Keith
Well now its not so funny for me too ---today i got pulled over by police checking speeders--they told me in town i have to pedal and that if i was flying along with my engine i was subject to ICBC regulations such as signals ,brakelights, headlights etc. and that my helmet was not motorcycle regulation.
I told him i was headed to the Indian Reserve bike path ( i live on the reserve but have to cross the regulated highway to get there ) --thankfully when im on the path i can go 20 km only slightly crossing non reserve land then im out in the country where they dont regularly patrol. so i pedaled to there.They also said if i was clipped by a car i would not be covered by ICBC rules so no insurance would protect me.But why are electric bikes legal--they probably are more dangerous because they are silent - some go much faster??
Anyway ill try to get a copy of the paper my friend gives them --but not tested yet--and see what you guys think.
The cop said it wasnt illegal to have the engine on your bike but just to use it --great !

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
But there are literally thousands of miles of logging roads and abandoned railines where anything goes but at this time of year they are under snow or hard to access and are all provinces on that bandwaggon i think not ?

Last edited:

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
Well now its not so funny for me too ---today i got pulled over by police checking speeders--they told me in town i have to pedal and that if i was flying along with my engine i was subject to ICBC regulations such as signals ,brakelights, headlights etc. and that my helmet was not motorcycle regulation.
I told him i was headed to the Indian Reserve bike path ( i live on the reserve but have to cross the regulated highway to get there ) --thankfully when im on the path i can go 20 km only slightly crossing non reserve land then im out in the country where they dont regularly patrol. so i pedaled to there.They also said if i was clipped by a car i would not be covered by ICBC rules so no insurance would protect me.But why are electric bikes legal--they probably are more dangerous because they are silent - some go much faster??
Anyway ill try to get a copy of the paper my friend gives them --but not tested yet--and see what you guys think.
The cop said it wasnt illegal to have the engine on your bike but just to use it --great !
This was the response i was hoping for thanks and ill be waiting to see that paper!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Robin,
When I started building my bike I talked to everyone that would listen and they all said no gas motors and what could/would happen if I did use one. They said if I had one on the bike it would show that I intended to use it and that was the same as I did start it.
Go figure. Gotta love I.C.B.C.

I guess the green weanies like our past provincial leader have made up their minds that they don't want those terrible polluting engines on our unsafe bikes. Better that we should have lead and sulphuric acid in a plastic case that have a short life span and is difficult to recycle or rip up the earth to get lithium ore to make batteries.

Then electricity is so simple to produce. Just dam up a river and change it for ever or coal and nuclear. They don't leave a foot print and the all time favorite, solar energy.
No one thinks about the pollution cause by making the panels and controls.

Off my soap box and it's put away. I'm going to sit in the corner and stew about it while I drink heavily and think.

Robin, I'm very glad they didn't fine you or take your bike. The cops are getting smarter about them and it's only a matter of time before they start fining people and stop warning them.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Don't know what piece of paper you can give the cops. Your in violation of the Federal Motor Vehicle Act as well as the provincial one.
If your handing over hundred dollar bills when your paying the fine and they're the new ones they aren't even paper any more.

Steve.

freewilly

May 12, 2009
Canada
I had a chat with a couple of Forest Service guys this summer and, as far as they're concerned, if they catch you on a logging road with an IC powered bicycle.. it's fines up the wazoo.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Keith,
I wish I did bro because I wouldn't have spent $1,800 on an electric hub motor and battery.
You will have to have the owners permission to ride where ever it is. Public/government land is out unless you can get permission. Private land owners are pretty much spooked by liability issues so that's pretty hard to do as well unless it's a relation that owns it.

My attitude is that you may as well take your fine money that you may have to pay if they catch you with an ICE on you bike and go electric. There are electic bikes that will scare you they are so fast but the distance isn't fantastic. Twenty miles or so unless you add a lot of battery capacity.

Check endless sphere.com. That is an electric vehicle site that has a e-bike forum on it. Check it out and ask questions because these guys are brilliant.

There are hub motors and batteries that are a lot cheaper than the one I have. i just walked in and said give me the Rolls Royce set up. The fact that the the company is in Vancouver was the big plus.

Steve.