Dual Disc brakes, no shift kit or tophat

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
After careful consideration and time wasted day-dreaming here it is, a dual (f/r) disc brake setup without the use of a top-hat adapter or and SBP shift kit. Let me know what you guys think, feedback is appreciated. :) More picture to follow.

Thanks

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love it, Frank. I can't wait to have a close look. What 'T' sprocket is that? I couldn't get chain/caliper clearance using a 40T, even with a 203 rotor.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I run a 34T sprocket from Andy. I didn't think it would work; but when I got all the components on hand it was pretty straight forward. I had already bored out the sprocket to sit on the hub when I swapped over to this bike, so that was time saved.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
anyone think about using the sprocket as the brake disc also like they do on modern choppers?
I considered a modern chopper type setup with a single sided caliper and sprocket as the rotor. Although it may work for others; I have a smaller sprocket then most, so it wouldn't have worked even with a 140mm adapter. Why take shortcuts and sacrifice braking power and have potential problems, when I can say "I'm one of the few that made it work right". :)

Last edited:

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
You got dialed in man. After seeing what you have for tools to work with, I would like to see what you could put out with a full shop..weld You rasied the bar here in Denver. Thanks again for the parts. the chopper is back together and running. dnut
George

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, now I'm jealous. I'm going to pick up a small sprocket from Duane and start playing again. My previous attempt might have worked if I had wanted to fudge a little on pad/rotor contact area. If I went for full contact the caliper and chain would touch. If I go to a smaller sprocket, something I've resisted because of my hilly neighborhood, I might be able to squeeze it all in. I want to see Frank's set up first and see what he did for a caliper bracket.
Tom

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
sweet...ive got the clearance as well with my 36....ill be ordering the parts i need next week lol....looks good man...glad to see you got it worked out...my ironhorse has the clearance too im pretty sure

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
You got dialed in man. After seeing what you have for tools to work with, I would like to see what you could put out with a full shop..weld You rasied the bar here in Denver. Thanks again for the parts. the chopper is back together and running. dnut
George
Thanks George for the compliments... I'd love to have a full shop here in the Denver area (similar to pirate cycles) It's good to hear these things from a 3rd person perspective. Spread the word, maybe the forum Admin. guys will give me a cool title under my user name, lol :p. Glad to hear the parts are back in business again, lets schedule a ride soon. :)

Frank

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Okay, now I'm jealous. I'm going to pick up a small sprocket from Duane and start playing again. My previous attempt might have worked if I had wanted to fudge a little on pad/rotor contact area. If I went for full contact the caliper and chain would touch. If I go to a smaller sprocket, something I've resisted because of my hilly neighborhood, I might be able to squeeze it all in. I want to see Frank's set up first and see what he did for a caliper bracket.
Tom
If you get a 36T sprocket and a 185mm rotor/adapter then it should work without having to grind, chop, or shim. I have Tektro brakes, which don't offer a 185mm adapter or rotor like Avid does. So I had to play with it a little bit. There is about 99% pad contact with perfect alignment and it stops way better then I ever imagined, especially with the wavy rotors. George has already seen it in person, you guys can see it on our next ride or your welcome to come check it out. Let me know if i can be of assistance :)

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
sweet...ive got the clearance as well with my 36....ill be ordering the parts i need next week lol....looks good man...glad to see you got it worked out...my ironhorse has the clearance too im pretty sure

I'm sure your attempt will work out just fine Van, our bikes are virtually the same. Your gonna like it, I swear to it.

My successful project is not for bragging rights, I just wanted to see if I could do what others have failed on or have given up on, and to help others that want this ideal brake setup. :) Keep me informed

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i think im gonna go with 203mm just because....but ill start working on that another time...ill keep melting my v brake pads for the moment....probably gonna be a winter project......ive built 2 new bikes (pedal) since i started working at the bike shop....need to relax on the purchasing for a wee bit....although i can proudly say i ran up over 1200 in shop blls(at very close to wholesale) and its all paid off shy of 60 bucks....i have a new wheelset in the works for the fixie...after that the Mab will get its rear disk..maybe even hydraulic f/r

Last edited: