First Build: Fuji Absolute 3.0

GoldenMotor.com

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
okay, I started off by riding my bicycle around campus, and to work (which is on campus), and one day on my way to the Outdoor Adventure office I finally got fed up with all of my parts being rusted and inoperative, so I decided to strip it down to the frame and fork, then order new components.

I figured if I'm gonna have all the parts, I might as well re-paint it.

Then a snarky engineering friend of mine said I might as well put an engine on it...

and here we are now.

No real problems other than busting a ton of chains while getting used to it. I've had 2 successful rides so far, and only just recently got it running, about two days ago.

Any hints/tips/warnings? This thing is sooo much fun it's not even funny!

.xx.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Are those clipless pedals? That looks like a real fun ride and a real nice build. I do like the idea of clipless pedals on a motorized bike.

My only suggestion concerns your motor chain, it looks a little slack. You could shim the back motor mount to take some slack out of the chain. Just remember that a 1/8th shim will take 1/4 slack out of the chain. That way you don't have to worry about breaking the chain to remove a link.

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Those are Clipless Pedals indeed! I used that bike for about 1,000 miles of around-town road-biking before getting the idea to motorize it, so I just left the pedals on and they're pretty nice for the motorized bike (especially since they're ridable with street shoes).

The bike wasn't *quite* tuned for optimal running in those photos... I hadn't yet attached the engine's bottom mount, among other things =/ I've since installed a chain tensioner and switched to a #41 roller chain.

I've broken about 4 chains so far, mostly through stupid mistakes... un-installed lower motor mount torqued and broke one, lack of chain tensioner broke one, letting go of the clutch and cranking the heck out of the throttle at too low of a speed snapped one, and I got one awkwardly snagged on a bit of road-debris.

and my supplier was bought out of #41 chains this morning. oh well, they ordered me 20ft and it should be here thursday.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Nice. I busted my ass the other day trying to start mine, the pedal chain skipped several teeth causing me to fall over & bang my ankle up.

Last edited: