17" Cadillac AV Sport

GoldenMotor.com

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i meant what kind of adapter is connecting the top hat sprocket adapter and sprocket to the bicycles hub. i've got a tophat sprocket adapter and sprocket from kings sales and service myself but i had to drill new holes in the top hat to make it fit my live fast motors clamshell. i see you'vre got some kind of hex head bolts going thru the supplied holes but my clamshell was so big it blocked those holes on mine. i can't see from the supplied pictures how its connecting to your rim. maybe your using the factory supplied rag joint?

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
where'd you get that chain tensioner? did you make that? whats that tape around your muffler? is that so you don't burn your shoe rubber or something?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i meant what kind of adapter is connecting the top hat sprocket adapter and sprocket to the bicycles hub. i've got a tophat sprocket adapter and sprocket from kings sales and service myself but i had to drill new holes in the top hat to make it fit my live fast motors clamshell. i see you'vre got some kind of hex head bolts going thru the supplied holes but my clamshell was so big it blocked those holes on mine. i can't see from the supplied pictures how its connecting to your rim. maybe your using the factory supplied rag joint?
The top hat bolts on the stock hubs flange where the disk rotor was. It has the same bolt pattern as a disk rotor. All I had to do was remove the disk rotor, and install the top hat in it's place.

The bolts just hold the sprocket to the top hat.

The reason yours didn't fit is because it's only made to fit a standard disk brake hub.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
where'd you get that chain tensioner? did you make that? whats that tape around your muffler? is that so you don't burn your shoe rubber or something?
That's just a stock 2 bolt tensioner, turned upside down, and drilled so that it can be attached with 3 conduit clamps. I've made 3 bikes using this method and never had a failure.

The muffler has heat wrap on it, mainly just to cover a botched paint job. It has no real fuction other than looks.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The marine highway has proven to be a cost-effective and efficient method for transporting heavy equipment and other large items which are not easily transported on the interstate highways. Barge Transportation is capable of moving equipment weighing 10,267 short tons. A short ton is the equivalent of 2,000 pounds.
My bike only weighs 55 lbs.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pretty much been constant changes going on for the last few days. This is what I added last, night against everyones advise. Before and after.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pretty much been constant changes going on for the last few days. This is what I added last, night against everyones advise. Before and after.

Even though the Cadillac is only a couple months old I've already decided to give it a face lift. This is how it looks as of 8/6/11

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It seems like after you build a new bike there's an inevitable teething process where you have to start working out the bugs in your design. Weaknesses have a way of showing up, and letting you know what needs to be improved. Eventually with a little patience, and perseverance you end up something that's dependable.

This bike is no different. Every time I try to go on a long ride its broken down within 5 miles. At least I've always been able to peddle home. So far it's mainly been the exhaust, and the clutch handle. The exhaust gasket has blown out twice, and then the muffler broke off the header pipe. Also twice I've pulled in the clutch at the start of a ride, only to see out of the corner of my eye something fly off into space. It was the clutch lock pin, launched by the spring when I pulled in the lever. I found the pin both times, but the spring is on the loose.

The clutch handle was easy to fix, but the exhaust was a different story. Finally after the muffler broke off the header, I installed a SBP expansion chamber, and that made huge improvement. Since the new expansion chamber is mounted solidly to the frame, and has 2 rubber connectors on the header pipe, the vibration level is a lot lower now. Not having the muffler hanging on the end of the header pipe out in space, with the engine supporting it's weight really does make a big difference in the vibration level, and dependability.

Now I have finally got a handle on my dependability issues. Last night I managed to ride 20 miles without a failure on this bike for the first time.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Its that teething process that can be the most frustrating.
My GT5R 66cc + shift kit and exp.pipe took me 3 months to assemble as time and money allowed.

I had exhaust placement/mounting issues, I knew the weight of the pipe and my huge muffler had to be solidly supported.
I had to go for a high mount pipe due to all the road debris and potholes and curbs here in NYC.
Mines mounted at 3 points-
(please see the attached pics)
In the rear I made a copper bracket and used the bikes old V brake post mount to hold the Exp/ pipe and the muffler in place.
(I soldered on the penny for luck)
Then another bracket to attache it off the extended seat post bolt and the very securely at the header spigot.
So far ive had no trouble with my exhaust system.

But now the integrated CDI/coil/spark plug wasn't putting out enough power, then it quit altogether,
I'm building a new ignition out of model aircraft parts that's fully adjustable for advance and retard curves and uses 4 large capacitors instead of the 2 dinky little ones it came with, the trick will be in mounting the Hall effect triggers inside the case.
Nothing ever just "works" on these little beasties, its always got to be massaged or modified in some way
There always seems to be just one or two more bugs to work out.
FR

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Its that teething process that can be the most frustrating.
Nothing ever just "works" on these little beasties, its always got to be massaged or modified in some way
There always seems to be just one or two more bugs to work out.
FR
Seems like it takes me about 3 months to sort out the bugs. Then I get to a point where it becomes dependable. My first bike hasn't had a problem in the last 500 miles.

I think the Cadillac is about up to that point now. Last night I rode it 20 miles without a failure. Today I checked it over, and nothing was loose. Tonight I went for a 13 mile ride with no problems. Both nights it was over 95 degrees outside.

Before yesterday the longest I managed to ride before it broke down was about 5 miles.