Motorized bikes have the same rights as bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I got into an argument with a buddy of mine at work about the rights of motorized bicycles and regular bicycles. If its any indication, he like wearing spandex when he rides. I had to make up this diagram but he still wouldn't budge. Does anyone see any flaws in my logic?

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
ask your buddy how many times he comes to a complete stop at a stop sign or light. ask him if he always uses hand signals. ask him how many times he road-rages when he's riding. ask him how often he indulges in "contest and/or exhibitions of speed." how about yielding the right of way to other vehicles and pedestrians? is his bicycle licensed (if required in your state) and does it have all the proper safety equipment (wheel and pedal reflectors, front and rear lights?)

ask him if he follows the same rules of the road as a motorized vehicle.

then grab his spandex shorts and give him a wedgie.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think you would kind of need to specify what kind of motor bicycle you're talking about first. For me the answer would depend on the motor size and power output. If it has a 5 hp lawn mower engine and weighs over a 100 lbs, then probably no. OTOH if it's a little assist motor that you need to peddle to get moving from a stop then probably yes.

In my mind once you get past a certain power output you cease being a motor bicycle and become a motorcycle. For me that point is, if you can ride it away from a stop without peddling it's not a bicycle anymore.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
the basic answer, is yes.

the more complicated answer, it depends on the legality of your motorized bike. if it's legal to ride, then you have the same rights as every vehicle on the road, the same as a bicycle.

in california, we're not allowed to ride on designated bike trails if there's a sign saying "no motorized vehicles" (unless it's under pedal power only) so technically, we don't have the "right" to use those trails and he does, but when it comes to the rules of the road, the rights are the same.

he has no viable argument. he sounds like he's just mad at you for "cheating."

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
in california, we're not allowed to ride on designated bike trails if there's a sign saying "no motorized vehicles"
..and that is where each states laws get fuzzy.
A bicycle is NOT considered a Vehicle in Arizona, motorized or not.
That sign pertains to things like cars, ATV's, motorCYCLES, etc.

Unless the sign read 'No Motor Assist Allowed' then an MB would not be allowed, but then again eneither would an electric wheelchair or 'Hoveround' or anything else like it.

That would make an interesting court case actually.
But you have to think State Logic too.
Why in the world would the state want to force a bicycle to stay on the roadway with cars when there is already an alternative for a bicycle?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
,as for safty ,I believe the motorized bike is safer at higher bike speeds especially beacause your concentration can be on the road and not on keeping the cadence and speed with physical exhausting and dehydration as your electrolites depleat,above 30-35 requires better brakes,and I think your buddies b*tt plug is chafing him,,,and for the laws against riding on bike paths,I agree and little kids, and the dehydrated ,exhausted guys are trying to balance their bikes and adjust their plugs are there,and not as trained in dodging fast non-tired efficient traffic

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
The point I was trying to get through to him is that If he could go 30 mph on his lance Armstrong bike by pedaling and I stole his bike and put a motor on it and went 30 mph then there is no difference. It could be 100hp V8 engine. As long as the weight stays the same with the motor (I weigh less then him) than handling and safety remain the same. The only difference is that instead of pedaling, I'm using a motor. same rules of the road apply and logically can't be a distinction. It's the same F-ing bike.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The point I was trying to get through to him is that If he could go 30 mph on his lance Armstrong bike by pedaling and I stole his bike and put a motor on it and went 30 mph then there is no difference. It could be 100hp V8 engine. As long as the weight stays the same with the motor (I weigh less then him) than handling and safety remain the same. The only difference is that instead of pedaling, I'm using a motor. same rules of the road apply and logically can't be a distinction. It's the same F-ing bike.
It depends on your state.

Here in Florida, the second you add a gas motor to a bike it stops being a bike and becomes a moped. (By state statute definition)

If you add an electric motor that allows you to travel faster than 20mph, same thing applies.

Your dealing with laws and legislation here, NOT common sense.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
no matter what you call it, you still have the same rights.
Not quite......

I don't think any state allows you to ride under motor power on sidewalks, especially at high(er) rates of speed. (alot of places dont allow motor power on bike paths either).

It's never a clear answer.

Also, ANY town can enact ANY law regarding traffic on their roads.
(Here in Florida, "traffic" even includes pedestrians, some crazy stuff!)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
and you are fresh and not winded from labored exertion and better able to deal with traffic and more alert

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
there's plenty of cities that don't allow bicycles on the sidewalk. california is one of them, dunno about arizona. unless you're a little kid, hence the term, "sidewalk bike."

i don't agree with corgi's statement, either. if you're tired from pedaling, you just ride slower, and not much can happen to you near the curb that you'd be too tired to notice. most people don't ride to the point of physical exhaustion.

a person in the same state (tired) on a motorized bike doing 20mph is probably in much greater danger.

my point is that all vehicles on the road in every state i know of have the same "rights."

they're all supposed to follow the same traffic laws, right of ways, etc.

aside from the few places motor vehicles aren't allowed, like bike trails i mentioned, under normal circumstances, we all have the same rights.

i didn't think this was gonna be such a big discussion. it's basically some roadie PO'd at the "infernal machine."

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
The idea I was arguing was that there are no difference between bicycles and motorized bicycles. 30 mph on one is the same as 30 mph on the other. The sound they make *edit: and environmental impact* is the only reason I can see for outlawing them. Mufflers!!!!! Ignorance and emotion is controlling my buddies rational thought. I just want him to accept that I deserve to do everything he gets to do on his $3,000 d0uche mobile.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
if that's what your argument is, then i can see some flaws in it.

pedaling provides excercise, clean air, no noise, is widely accepted as a viable form of transportation.

motored bikes provide almost no exercise, have exhaust fumes, burn fossil fuels, leak oil, make noise, and are slowly gaining acceptance by the general population.

instead of arguing that you should be able to do the same things a bicycle does, you should enjoy the things that bicycles can't do.

go fast, make noise, and pi55 off roadies.:)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
In Florida the state police have a booklet pertaining to bicycles. Here is a quote from that booklet:

"Cyclists on roadways fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles." Notice it doesn't say with or without a motor.

But, that really isn't the subject of this thread. The Spandex crowd just doesn't like our motors. They feel that they are better because they are getting exercise. Plus bike are for peddling in their minds. They will never concede that we are bicyclist also. So I guess the thing to do is tell him "You have your opinion and I have mine". Case closed.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The "roadies" definitely get mad at me when I pass them up...

I see them pedaling in their wind resisting outfits and $8000, 12lb. carbon fiber alloyed, 30 geared, pedal bicycle doing 20mph, when I pass them (while watching out for cars coming from behind and using correct hand signals) they decide to go even faster...
Then I flip the switch to add a few (12) more volts to my electric bike and don't allow them to pass....
Man.... Are they upset when they find out that my $50 bicycle with $600 worth of electronic equipment beats theirs... It's too funny.
(FYI... My bike has pedal assist so, when I'm passing them, I'm coasting [it looks weird to them], and when they start catching up to me, I throw the switch that adds the volts and pedal assist and unless they're actually "Lance Armstrong", they never do catch me until a stop light.... I love it!!!)

P.S. Those "roadies" are soo full of themselves, they think they're crap don't stink.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I usually pass the lycra spandex crowd going up a steep hill peddling backwards.
The only place in Sunny Bullhead that a motorized bicycle is not allowed to use is a short section of the bicycle trail next to the river.
Everything else is OK.
Even the Police use motorized bicycles for exercise.
Pedal until you are stressed then motor home.
In the summer it is just too hot to be sure of returning safely home.
That is why I got into Motorized Bicycling.
I safely and easily lost lots of weight.
Without the motor I could not make it home sometimes.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I guess how and what you ride plays a big part.
I don't mind the spandex crowd, my little sister is one, completed a frigg'n ironman competition, so I cut them slack... Well, some, I still have fun ;-}

The canals and bike trails are my favorite.
I have a shift kit so when I let off the throttle it drops to idle but freewheel coasts pretty darn quite, sneak up on rider quite...

With no traffic to worry about I get up a full head of steam speed then coast up next to them, smile, nod my head, say hi, maybe do a couple of token pedals, and then hit the gas lightly to slowly pull away before I open it back up to speed 100' or so ahead.

I generally get nothing but smiles and waves from them time and again.
The same goes for cops and pretty much anyone else for that matter.
It's not a 'mussel car' cool, it's a 'I like that guy' cool.
That certainly has made my riding experiences all the more enjoyable anyway.