Can I fit an engine in this frame ?

GoldenMotor.com

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada

I like the bike and it's rear suspension, but was wondering if it might cause chain tensioning problems.

Thanks.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum, I think that bike will motorize nicely! The rear suspension has short travel and shouldn't be a prob with the chain tension. Have fun and let us know how it goes.....

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
I like the bike and it's rear suspension, but was wondering if it might cause chain tensioning problems.

Thanks.
Olá, grande maquina....... com motor fica maravilhosa , mas na minha opinião fazia a montagem com shifter kit , assim só fica com uma transmissão e o tensor das velocidades resolve o problema da suspensão
dance1

"Hello, great machine ....... engine is wonderful, but in my opinion was the shifter mounting kit, so it only takes one transmission speeds and tensor solves the problem of suspension"

Last edited by a moderator:

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
BB = Bottom Bracket

BB adapter allows use of a BB cartridge (or 3 piece set up) for the Shift Kit in that single crank BB.

Thanks for the reply but I'm still non the wiser. There is a guy up above speaking Spanish, I can't understand him either.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
He's speaking Portuguese and saying basically to hook up a shifter kit and the suspension won't be a problem.

I'm just saying it's a single piece crank and you would need to adapt it to a 3 piece if you want to use the shifter kit.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And all of this may also be of no use if there is a pivot in front of the BB....as you can see the BB sits behind the seat tube and downtube junction. Unless of course you know this bike and that it will accept a shift kit with these little subtleties.

Being as this is his first build and a single speed at that, why is everyone suggesting a shift kit for this build? If the chain tension becomes a problem, I would first suggest a spring loaded chain tensioner....not a shift kit.

OP's original question:"Can I fit an engine in this frame ?" No offence to anyone here, but hey?

My 2 cents and nothing more. Build it!

Last edited:

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
And all of this may also be of no use if there is a pivot in front of the BB....as you can see the BB sits behind the seat tube and downtube junction. Unless of course you know this bike and that it will accept a shift kit with these little subtleties.

Being as this is his first build and a single speed at that, why is everyone suggesting a shift kit for this build? If the chain tension becomes a problem, I would first suggest a spring loaded chain tensioner....not a shift kit.

OP's original question:"Can I fit an engine in this frame ?" No offence to anyone here, but hey?

My 2 cents and nothing more. Build it!
It was the shift kit suggestion that had me confused, I could not see the relevance and thought I mut be missing something. I had worked out even before I started the thread that a spring loaded tensioner would take up any slack, but being a complete newb to motorised bikes I don't even know if they are available.
For this first build I want to be able install the engine I have coming in a bike with as little hassle as possible, once I have it installed and running I am sure I will think of ways it can be improved. I have the equipment and experience needed to make most things.

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
I am still drn2waiting for my bike to arrive, but this has come up in the meantime. I think I can get this bike for $75.

The question is can I move the gearchange from the handlebars to the frame so that I can mount the throttle for the engine on the bars ?

Thanks

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
The shift kit idea looks great, I might buy one later on.

PS, I have posted another reply and a pic but for some reason it needs moderator approval before it appears.