New Chopper Build advice needed.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey there, I haven't been here in a while, but it's time I return. I have bought a chopper, Pacific Coast Chopper, to be exact. Huge back tire, so I know already, in order to install an in-frame 4-stroke, I will need to offset the engine mounting, so the chain lines up. This is a common problem, and I'm sure there are aftermarket mounts available. Here are my questions.

1) What mounts are available for this bike, and who sells it? (Post a link?)
2) What engine is most reliable for this bike?
3) would the sprocket hub adapter be a good idea?
4) any general thoughts, or things I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks guys, here's some pictures.

Attachments

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
My father in law and a good friend of mine took on the task of motorizing one of these bikes, the follow story is based on the actual events that unfolded lol. So we wanted to mount the engine in the center of the bike, many with this frame mount it off to the side to clear the huge rear tire. In order to mount the engine center we had to install a jack shaft with a pair of sealed bearings, the shaft and a set of identical gears. It took 2 weeks for the gears to arrive in the mail.

We put the jack shaft on the bike and first clamped in place then welded clamps to frame when we got it where it was proper. We put the engine kit on and gave it its first trial run. The bike actually took like a tuning fork to the engine, the entire thing would vibrate your butt numb in under a blocks time.

We double checked all motor mounts and made sure everything on the bike was tight and the bike still vibrated like the dickens. After all that work my friend went to ride this bike home for the first time, he was not used to riding such a lower bike (usually he rides a mountain bike). He clipped his pedal on the ground while turning and crashed, the next day he wanted to put the engine back on his mountain bike.

So nearly a month of waiting, ordering parts, welding, fabricating down the drain lol. Good luck with your build ABC, I believe Manicmechanic used to make some kind of mount for this particular bike, I do believe he makes a sprocket adapter for it still (at any rate I'd ask Jim himself). Here in the states they sell them as Schwinn Stingrays so it might help to search the forum for that name as the bikes look identical. Good luck man!

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey Omega! Thanks for the advice dude! I'm going to try and take vibrations into account, I'm sure the long frame, long lengths of metal, huge rear fender, and I guess two long chains, there would be a lot of vibrations. As for the mounting, I'm actually looking into that now, visiting the sponsor links left and right. I'm thinking I could go with the shift kit, but I've heard that the freewheel for up front is a pain, and a lot of maintaince. Not sure if it's something I'd want to do anyways, givin the thin chain and length, I'm not sure I could trust it. With the engine chain, I'd upgrade to a #41 chain, (nice and thick,) and maybe two tensioners, to make sure. I know I want a 4-stroke, pull start, centrifugal clutch, and maybe some other aftermarket upgrades I can muster up. I want the hub adapter, and a solid plate mount for the engine. One that I don't have to worry about tilt, or drilling my beautiful bike. Lol. I'm sorry to hear your buddy bailed. I clipped a pedal in the same manner, on my mountain bike, @ 45 km/h turning a corner. Lucky I had two hoodies and a leather jacket on! I slid like 30 feet! It was scary. Just goes to show though, if you're gonna ride with an engine on your bicycle, learn your bicycle. Learn it's limits, it's strengths, it's weaknesses. They all matter when it comes to 45 km/h +. LOL. Thanks for the advice dude!

(By the way, I'm putting my ape hanger bars on my bike. Super chopper! Ha ha, I'll post pics)

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
What I'm looking for, is someone who sells a "kit" with everything needed to install an engine on this chopper. This kit would include engine mount, (with offset) Long cables, and specialized chain tensioner, as the kit tensioner that comes standard will not work. Is there such a "kit"?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
you will need to fab a mount yourself,,,all the 4 stroke kits I have seen have no offset in the mount design

the good part is, 4stroke mounts are easy to build when the frame has a straight bottom tube (a steel plate, some holes drilled in the right places, and a few clamps :))

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
That looks awesome. Looking at it, I wonder, can that plate (or one similar,) be attached without drilling? If the bolts were long, and braced with bottom brackets, that go beside the frame, instead of the bolts going through the frame. Do you know what I mean? Also, if I got a normal rear mount plate, and figured out how to frame mount and offset, think that would work? This seems like it's going to be quite a challenge to complete.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
That looks awesome. Looking at it, I wonder, can that plate (or one similar,) be attached without drilling? If the bolts were long, and braced with bottom brackets, that go beside the frame, instead of the bolts going through the frame. Do you know what I mean? Also, if I got a normal rear mount plate, and figured out how to frame mount and offset, think that would work? This seems like it's going to be quite a challenge to complete.
I have no bolts running through my frame :)
you might have to use a wider piece of steel to get the off-set you need to clear the fat tire, but other than that, it is pretty simple ;)

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
You know what might go well with that bike Addicted, an electric kit, it would be whisper quiet and would probably be much much easier to install. Yeah my buddy that bailed on his chopper is a natural skateboarder but not a cyclist at all lol.

Those Apehangers look sweet on that bike it almost looks like thats how it should have come. On my buddy jakes bike we put the handlebars pictured below on it, minus the pad and black bar, just bare renthal bars, they worked out really nicely and looked more sporty than the bars he had.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I like those bars, I actually have something similar. I have a lot of different handlebars, lol, I seem to have accumulated a collection! Lol. As for the mounting plate, I'm assuming I have no other option but to rig my own plate. I'll need to borrow or rent/buy a small welder for the job. Maybe buying a cheap rig isn't such a bad idea, I could use the ability to weld. I really want this bike to have an engine, I really wish there was a simple install solution, but I guess the hard way is the way it's gonna be! Lol. That's ok, I can deal with that, anyone who knows my bicycle engine history knows that it's the hard way or no way for me. Lol. I've had every problem under the sun, but I still come back for more, and I wanna come back big this time. This chopper needs an engine, and I need help with that. The bike needs it. It talks to me. I swear it. Lol.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
That's awesome! I've bookmarked that site Chopperdude4, thank you very much. I did want a 4-stroke however, and this mount won't work for that. I have a 2-stroke, and with this mount, I could make it happen, and I'm now considering the 2-stroke installation. Really not sure what to do, what mount is best, easiest, ect. This mount also requires drilling, which I also don't want to do. The page you suggested says someone is copying his design, but it attaches with u-bolts instead. He says it works, but doesn't look that great. To be honest, the small visual disruption might be worth not drilling the frame. I've snapped frames because of these 2-strokes, and if my chopper snapped in half, I think I would too. Lol.

I need this bicycle to have a proper, durable, reliable engine on it. (The reason I've considered 4-stroke, in-frame) The amount of attention this bike already gets is RIDICULOUS! (I think I'm the only chopper around here) With an engine, neon lights, and my company name down the side, this bike is my advertiser. It MUST have an engine, to turn the heads of those who didn't notice before. (As we all know, everyone looks at these motorized bicycles with interest and intrigue.)

I appreciate everyone's help so far, all of your suggestions are kept in mind, as I've not made any decisions as of yet. Thank you.

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Hi i am doing a stingray occ build i am using a two stroke though, so i dont know anything about mounting a four stroke... where did you get those bars i cant find any for the life of me !!!!!!!!dnut.trk

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I got the handlebars at a pro shop here in Oshawa, called Impala Cycles. Someone ordered them in, and never came to get them. I was getting a tire trued, seen them sticking out of a box, and asked if they were for sale. They said they might as well sell em, the guy never got em, so I offered $15. They are the perfect addition to my addiction. :) Here is a site that sells many SWEET bicycle parts, I'm sure you've heard of it, but if not, there are ape hangar handlebars there. Not sure if they are the same length as mine, but there are still a bunch of awesome bars and other accessories. Check it out! BicycleDesigner.com sells custom bicycles, parts, and information exchange