29'' mongoose

GoldenMotor.com

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Nice man, thanks for the info. unfortunately my wife is making me wait until morning to go get it. I have had a few bikes in the past, my last one being an $1800 specialized makes it really hard to look at $200 bikes. Nothing compares to the quality of those types of bikes but, I can't justify paying that much for a bike anymore, I mean I've seen cars going for that much.

Maybe we can build these bikes together......Keep me posted
we should make a walmart bike club so all of the haters can hate in one spot

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Nice man, thanks for the info. unfortunately my wife is making me wait until morning to go get it. I have had a few bikes in the past, my last one being an $1800 specialized makes it really hard to look at $200 bikes. Nothing compares to the quality of those types of bikes but, I can't justify paying that much for a bike anymore, I mean I've seen cars going for that much.

Maybe we can build these bikes together......Keep me posted
we should make a walmart bike club so all of the haters can hate in one spot
Ya I've seen the china hate stuff before when i was dealing with Chinese scooters

They are putting a china motor on their bikes
I dont see them shelling out for a Italian motor to compliment their bikes..??

Anyways like i said. It's good enough to put a china motor on it.

I think arguing about chinese bicycles is a dumb debate anyways
If it works it works

And I've already proven the Genesis 29er is a good bike to motorize
most people just dont want to acknowledge that.

I will be making a thread about my motorization of the bike and see what troubles i run into
But I've done the measuring and research and i dont think it will be a problem honestly

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
nice pick newbiker. watch the angle on the down tube when you mount the motor. i ride a 29er and had to throw some jb putty under the down tube mount to get a flush fit. kept breaking the studs till i got that problem solved.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This has been an interesting thread with the Walmart bashing. Walmart sells several 29" bikes "on line" as well as the 29" Mongoose I bought last spring. The exact same bike this thread is about.
I want pictures please.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I've got the orange one on order, should be here in 7 - 10 days. I haven't seen it in person yet, but the other Kent / Genesis bikes I've seen haven't been too bad. Some really nice components in some areas and some so-so components in others. They didn't have this 29er in stock so I won't know what it looks like until it gets here, but since someone else apparently motorized one, it must be do-able.

nextpimp

Mar 28, 2011
NY
Whaaat??!!! Ive GOT the orange one w/ 66cc kit. LOVE IT... Never rode another MAB so all the others just seem small to me..LOL. I WANT that white and red one. SERIOUSLY... Link PLEASE??!!??

My build was fairly painless.. Over 2500 miles on the bike and it still feels strong. Actually, since im between engines right now im gonna tear apart everything bicycle and see how things really held up.

There is a bit of a chain rub issue for single speed setup but its easily dealt with

Last edited:

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Whaaat??!!! Ive GOT the orange one w/ 66cc kit. LOVE IT... Never rode another MAB so all the others just seem small to me..LOL. I WANT that white and red one. SERIOUSLY... Link PLEASE??!!??

My build was fairly painless.. Over 2500 miles on the bike and it still feels strong. Actually, since im between engines right now im gonna tear apart everything bicycle and see how things really held up.

There is a bit of a chain rub issue for single speed setup but its easily dealt with
explain the chain rub issue please and how to fix it.

I'm getting my engine this week and would like to be prepared

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
My wife surprised me with the Wally World 29er bike I already peeled every single decal off and adjusted brakes and gears. Everything is pretty decent and it looks a million times better without all of those decals that were placed poorly to begin with. I have to admit going from a high end specialized to a wally world bike is like going from a Ferrari to a Honda but, I've been driving my Honda for years. Now Lets see where this goes!!!!! dance1

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
My wife surprised me with the Wally World 29er bike I already peeled every single decal off and adjusted brakes and gears. Everything is pretty decent and it looks a million times better without all of those decals that were placed poorly to begin with. I have to admit going from a high end specialized to a wally world bike is like going from a Ferrari to a Honda but, I've been driving my Honda for years. Now Lets see where this goes!!!!! dance1
Lol i am going to take the decals off aswel.

Haven't got around to it yet tho

let me ask how true was your front disc?

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
The front disc was awful at first but, I tightened up the cable and it works better still doesn't let the rear tire pop up and takes a while to come to a complete stop. The pads are almost rubbing as it is if I tighten anymore I'm afraid it will rub. What did you say about squeezing with a clamp to true up? I figure maybe if I could squeeze them and then loosing the cable to back up the pads from the disc. Or maybe I'll just have to upgrade down the road. Other wise it's not to shabby
dance1

I have someone looking into building me an HD rear wheel in a 29" If it works out I'll let you know the details

Last edited:

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
The front disc was awful at first but, I tightened up the cable and it works better still doesn't let the rear tire pop up and takes a while to come to a complete stop. The pads are almost rubbing as it is if I tighten anymore I'm afraid it will rub. What did you say about squeezing with a clamp to true up? I figure maybe if I could squeeze them and then loosing the cable to back up the pads from the disc. Or maybe I'll just have to upgrade down the road. Other wise it's not to shabby
dance1

I have someone looking into building me an HD rear wheel in a 29" If it works out I'll let you know the details
i just clamp on a caliper and then i true the disc with disc tools

you probably need to true it up man
spin the front tire and watch the disc
if it's wobbling its out of true and needs to be straightened

Disk Brake Rotor Precision Truing

if you don't have these crescent wrenches work fine to.

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
I checked it out and it has a very slight bump but I can barely notice it, Another thing I noticed was, when I really get on the pedals, the slip a bit right when I give it that first push then it's fine, almost like the arm is slipping on the crank. I don't know much about bikes, so you'll have to forgive me if I sound Like an idiot. :)

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Can the disk be trued by eye using just crescent wrenches? I don't have any of those fancy tools.

@NewBikers - I think you said you tried the Schwinn Link (the blue hybrid) before buying the 29er, how would you compare the fit for your long legs? I ask because I scaled photos of the two bikes and it seems that the geometry is very similar, the 29er's frame is higher off the ground, but the distance from the seat post to the handlebars is nearly identical, as is the distance from the seat to the peddles. Which kind of makes sense since W-mart wants their bikes to fit the "average" guy, but concerns me because I'm tall like yourself.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Can the disk be trued by eye using just crescent wrenches? I don't have any of those fancy tools.

@NewBikers - I think you said you tried the Schwinn Link (the blue hybrid) before buying the 29er, how would you compare the fit for your long legs? I ask because I scaled photos of the two bikes and it seems that the geometry is very similar, the 29er's frame is higher off the ground, but the distance from the seat post to the handlebars is nearly identical, as is the distance from the seat to the peddles. Which kind of makes sense since W-mart wants their bikes to fit the "average" guy, but concerns me because I'm tall like yourself.
to answer the 1st question.

yes you can true it by eye and by using the brake pads themselves

put the bike in a bike stand to do this it's much easier.
If you dont have a stand take a piece of wood. put it under the down tube and put the wood across the back of 2 chairs so your front end of the bike is sitting off the ground.

now you need to spin the wheel and listen for any rubbing
as you listen for the rubbing also watch the pads near the rotor
as you spin them you will see the rotor hitting the pads

take a piece of tape and mark the area of the rub
and put an arrow going down or up on the tape.

now depending on the size of the warp you will need to use 1-2-3 wrenches like is shown in the picture.

if its tiny use 1 wrench. if its medium. (2 or 3 inches of warp) i would use 2 to encompass the whole warp area

now this is where technique comes into play. you need to GENTLY pull the disc away from the area it was rubbing.

Do it gently then spin the tire again. watch for any rubbing. if you still see it continue pulling till the disc is true.

If you have 1 high spot (hitting the top pad) and 1 low spot (hitting the bottom)
Mark both places and work on one at a time.
Make sure you mark what one is high and low so you dont get confused

Once all your adjustments are made. you can unbolt the mechanical brake cable on the brake assembly and pull all the slack out of the line. Once the slack is gone tighten the allen nut back down and use the groupo thumb screw to make finite adjustments

Your brake system should be running perfectly at that point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2. I never got to actually sit on the Schwinn link but it has 700c rims so i'm guessing the geometry is similar.

one thing i did notice is the down tube on that bike possibly wouldn't accept a engine very easily.

If i remember correctly it was rectangular