Does anyone recognize what this bike is?

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Idk I thought it would be cool if the rack turned out to be built into the frame (which apparently it is) so I can hack the top of the seat post off and mount a large seat from pretty much whatever.

I'm guessing it folds in the center of the frame where that weird looking clip thing is. Never really seen a folding bike in person before. Would it be hard to weld up all the folding joints so they're just solid?

From the pic you gave, it seems to be a lot beefier than the cranbrook I've got (other than the fact that it folds).

I'm thinking: Rear mounted chain or belt drive kit on the very end supported by the rear rack, with a go-cart-style moped seat mounted to the front of the rack & covering where the seat post would be hacked off. If using the 20" wheels for scale in the photo, that rack seems big enough to do both (with some custom small adapters made from angle iron)

The seat I've got in mind: Puch Chopper Seat - Red for $40.00 in Seats from 1977 Mopeds

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had a folding Worksman similar to that one time and it was very solid. I had a little friction drive bikebug engine on it and it was too slow by far, but with a bit more power or gearing it should work. I let that Worksman frame go for nothing years ago. If I had it now I think I'd put a China girl in there just for the heck of it. With the folding section reshaped and welded up there's be room for the motor with no obstruction above. I think it would be kinda cool. I saw a 20" bike with 3" tires this past weekend at the race in Ohio and that thing was moving. I don't know what the frame was, but it had an upper cross bar and was a mighty tight fit. If it's something you want to do, then go for it. That's what I like about this forum... somebody is always coming up with something different.
SB

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Well I always wanted to do a stingray & know where to get one for $40 in ride-able condition, just a little dirty. But this just seems like it was built for it more. Plus I never seen anyone here do a stingray, so I guess there must be a reason for it?

You think a china girl would actually fit on it? I mean, it's hard to compare it with a 26" but does the lower bar extend out to far before it starts going up? Maybe the smaller wheels make it look wider in the photos?

Would probably need some re-reinforcement, like a top bar made specifically to clear the engine once mounted. If the frame cracked where the motor mounts to it from either vibration or a large pot-hole, well I wouldn't want to be the one to be on it if left the way it is.

Emailed the guy (He had the bike pictured on craigslist for sale) and he sent me this, without an asking price (see attachment). What would you say a fair price would be? I don't know what these folding bikes go for. I was thinking $30.

Attachments