Full Custom Built e-Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
G'day members, i presume this is the correct section for this my bike is a crusier
and it has a motor :)

I have a comprehensive worklog on Endless Sphere electrical bicycle forum in the 'non hub motor section' can be found under the title "Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog"i thought there might be a few here that are into electrics and might like to see it.

The bike is fully custom built by myself (with exception to the forks, they are ChoppersUS springers)
The frame is made from mild steel and mig welded in my home workshop. It was powder coated in Cobalt metallic blue. The battery enclosure i custom made , constructed of fiberglass and painted with Candy Apple blue base coat with ~6 coats of clear gloss over it. The bike rolls on 20x4.25in rear rim and 24x2.95in up front, forks as mentioned are ChopperUS springer re-sized to suit. Brakes are Hydraulic Avid Juicy 7's running on 6in disks front and rear, upgrading front to 8inch in near future require modding of springer rocker pivot to do so, it stops well now but i want to ensure it does when the disk heat up. Power is provided by a 6500wat (8.6hp) Turnigy brushless outrunner, This is connected to a 4.25:1 Matt Shumaker reduction drive unit. controller is a Castle HV100 (thankyou to Matt Shumaker for the donation of this unit) running in conjunction with a Fechter throttle interface current limted to 140amp. The final drive is belt running to a converted V-pulley belt Throttle is a Magura. The bike runs a linear actuator to raise and lower stabiliser wheels (im a paraplegic) The actuator is operated by a bar mounted momentary switch. Battery's are lithium polymer 44v 15ah config (6X 22v 5000mah Turnigy 20c packs in series/parallel config) The battery management system (BMS) is looked after by tppacks dot com parallel adapter boards/charge controller/battery medic booster setup (big thanks to Gary Goodrum for the donation of the BMS setup)

Performance...I live in an extremely hilly area so have geared the bike low to combat this as such it is gear liimited to ~60km/hr which IMHO is quite fast enough for a bicycle, it will climb the side of a house and has acceleration that will match most cars to 50km/hr. I have videos on youtube of the bike in mock up stage being ridden by myself, unable to post links as new member if your interested in seeing them pm me and i can link you to them.
The bikes range is obviously dependent on how fast the distance is covered, e.g (on flat ground no hills) if i run full throttle the entire time i would likely get 15-20km...if i cruised at half to 3/4 throttle i would get in the vicinity of 40-50km without any pedal assist per charge (obviously as im disabled and all hahaa) Charging from ~85% depleted pack would take in the area of 2-3 hours, i use a Meanwell SP320-48v PSU for charging it outputs ~9amp. I am in the process of upping the voltage to 66v 15ah setup, this will drastically increase top speed but also increase range with the larger wh.available. (Watt Hours) I shall be adding another Meanwel in series to handle the increased voltage charging.

Any questions feel free to ask away...don't expect you all to sift through 77 pages of the worklog
looking for answers haha

Cheers

KiM

Attachments

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Couple of Screen Captures

I am in the process of editing video of the completed bike here are a few 'screen captures'
of one of the videos i am working on. These pics give a better idea of the size of the bike
pictured on its own it tends to look ALOT bigger than it actually is. I also forgot to mention in intial post the bikes weight is 45kilo (~99lbs)

Cheers

KiM

Attachments

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
amazing craftsmanship and engineering Kim. Is the Turnigy motor stock, or did you have to modify it? I've seen lots of people using RC motors on endless-sphere but not so much on this forum.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Something to feast my eyes...Excellent work !!! Gearing is great and the better is low weight. I don't dare to ask what was the cost of components and paintwork (labor is unmeasurable , since it's , obviously , labor of love).

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
very very nice work
Thankyou deacon :)

amazing craftsmanship and engineering Kim. Is the Turnigy motor stock, or did you have to modify it? I've seen lots of people using RC motors on endless-sphere but not so much on this forum.
Thanks Jeff...The Turnigy aside from additional glue to hold the magnets in place is bog stock. It is a 130kv unit i am patiently waiting (and have been for months) for Hobby City to get new stock of the new Version 2 motors in, i will be picking up the same motor but in 180kv this will up rpms by a few thousand (on 44v) and hit near 10k rpm on 66v. Be talkin some serious speed up near the 100 km/hr (~60mph) mark with lightening acceleration :) The new motors have improved design, they use double the size bearings and they are skirted variety, there has been a few people with bearing failures in the V1 motors, thus far :: touch wood:: mine has been good. Amazed me the torque these lil things have, and they sound so niiiice on full throttle, like a turbine jet engine, can hear it in my videos when its wound up hehee.

Something to feast my eyes...Excellent work !!! Gearing is great and the better is low weight. I don't dare to ask what was the cost of components and paintwork (labor is unmeasurable , since it's , obviously , labor of love).
Cheers Zabac... I didn't keep an accurate track of cost for the build, i also had a many parts donated by fellow Endless Sphere members so it would of cost considerably more if i had to buy all parts suffice to say if i had to estimate i would of spent $AU1000-1500 on parts for the build...time...well took near 12 months 2 build working on it here and there. Saving the pension money and then Waiting for parts to be freighted from America slowed the build process down somewhat...

Thanks again for the kind words fellas much appreciated.

KiM

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Kim,
Your bike has changed my entire outlook and attitude towards e-bikes.....this is incredible...dayum !....kudos!

Salty.shft.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think that is the best electric bike I've ever seen, and plenty of speed for keeping with traffic WoW just WoW !!!

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Kim,
Your bike has changed my entire outlook and attitude towards e-bikes.....this is incredible...dayum !....kudos!

Salty.shft.

Thanks mate, yes unfortunately people outside of dedicated electric bicycle forums don't actually see how advanced the e-bike has gotten in the last few years, cheaper smaller lighter higher density batteries are now available, my pack weighs only 5kil (~11pound) cost lil over 300 bucks the size is smaller than the 12v battery in your car! and its is capable of 40-50km range without pedalling. Easy to double that and still have less weight than a Happy Time setup bicycle. I have observed on several motored bicycle forums people still think electrics are slow and have no range, this simply is not the case, only disadvantage they have now is the cost, they cost alot more than setting a happy time up, but you do get superior performance and much more stealthier bike... I'm no tree hugger i don't use electric to 'save the plant' the planet is doing fine no matter what we do to it it will be here long after man is gone, i use it for its stealth and kick ass performance. I hope by posting here more will take the initiative and do some research on sights geared towards electrics and get upto speed on the new technology available in e-bikes, their too much fun i tellz ya, your arms feel 3 inches longer when you get off these things, they take off like scalded rats.

You fellas doubt the torque of these lil rc motors, heres the maker of the reduction drive i use in my bike with his twin motored KMX custom trike...Matt has gear limited this widened and lengthened KMX trike frame to a ::cough:: modest 60mph...as you can imagine, it gets there VERY fast too, coincidently it weighs the same as my cruiser.

YouTube - Extremely high power E-bike tadpole trike

He has made a handful of these this is his latest project HUGE overkill 28hp peak... its also forsale for $US10k

I think that is the best electric bike I've ever seen, and plenty of speed for keeping with traffic WoW just WoW !!!

Thanks corgi, but there are alot of nice e-bikes floating around on Endless Sphere alot more stealth and faster than my ride :)

Cheers guyz...

KiM

EDIT: Now i can post links i can also link you to the initial trial runs of my cruiser

First test run, on-board video and actuator demonstration First half of video done at half speed. Current limited to 120amp

Second run filmed by mates...this was done at lower speed the amps were limited to ~75 (capable of 140amp) as we sorted out belt tension settings and alignment

Testing wheelchair being towed

I shall be doing a few more videos in coming weeks now the bike is painted BUT i have to wait for a replacement drive belt, i snapped the
one being used in these videos last week and they aren't available in Australia, i have 2 replacements coming as per this and 2 kevlar reinforced also. The belt was damaged from a earlier 'derailment' when working on belt tensions and alignment issues etc... I have now also applied side plates to the rear pulley to prevent any further 'belt offs' It would randomily throw a belt under hard acceleration due to the small sideways play in the rear eno freewheel.

Modifications-->

The pulley did originally have sides on it but one was damaged so i removed both, these new ones have been fabbed from 3mm alumnium plate, should do the trick, the front pulley has never thrown the belt.

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Very nice bike. Im sure this is the bike I happened across a few weeks ago on another fourm and followed the build process stage by stage. If its not the same bike its very similar.
Thanks for upping those pics of the bike - great job (^)

Regards
Tom

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Very nice bike. Im sure this is the bike I happened across a few weeks ago on another fourm and followed the build process stage by stage. If its not the same bike its very similar.
Thanks for upping those pics of the bike - great job (^)

Regards
Tom
I have the full build log on 3 other forums Endless Sphere Australian Electrical Vehicle Forum and OCAU.com.au So its highly likely it is this one :: wink :: Did the one you seen look like this before powdercoat and chrome?->

My nick on the other forums is AussieJester...Used to be a member here few years back but had a disagreement with one of the moderators so i left the forum, I apologise for that i get a little heated sometimes if i am having a bad day with the pain in my legs.

Cheers mate

KiM

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thanks fellas... I actually have a small issue with the bike atm, i have ripped another belt up
this time the primary drive belt, its simply too much torque for the 15mm wide 5mm pitch belt unfortunately, its fine up to around 4500watt (~6hp) but after this it starts skipping teeth on primary drive SO i have ordered replacement #25 pitch sprockets and chains from Matt Shumaker (maker of the reduction drive units) for the first stage reduction AND the final drive also, final stage i.e output from reduction to rear wheel sprocket will be bicycle chain, , not sure if i have mentioned on this forum or not? there will be an upgraded motor soon as they are available will be looking at close to
16hp of instantaneous grunt so the final drive belt will not be upto the task unfortunately, so silence will be sacrificed for reliability when the larger motor is installed
till then i shall stick with the final drive belt it's just soooooo much quieter and less annoying than the clatter of chains muffling the turbine like sound from the outrunner lecky motor WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

Shall post some update pics when i have the sprockets installed anywayz...

thanks again for the appreciative comments fellas much appreciated ;-)

KiM

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You have created an e-bike that actually attracts chicks, instead of repelling them.
James Dean and Steve McQueen would have fought over that bike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
WoW, 6500+watts....that's alotta zap! And then 19hp, of instantaneous power....that'll smoke anything on the planet. Yer gonna need double row serpentine chains or driveshafts for that kinda power! Did I say WoW?

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
WoW, 6500+watts....that's alotta zap! And then 19hp, of instantaneous power....that'll smoke anything on the planet. Yer gonna need double row serpentine chains or driveshafts for that kinda power! Did I say WoW?

HAHA Actually better make that 9600watts 280amp i have a new Castle Creations HV160...
it is pc programmable also has neat little data logging feature, heres a few graphs to show the power shes pumping out of the speed controller to the motor. (see below attached graphs)

Just upped the battery pack to 50v 20 ah so have me some more range haha i sort of been chewing through it pretty quick as you can imagine this much power on tap is alot of fun :)

Organising a White Industries 16 tooth sprocket for the output of the reduction drive
i have a 52 tooth sprocket for the rear hub, gearing on the 50v setup will give me up near ~70km/hr
which is a lil faster than needed, the motor will pull it no problem on flat ground but i live in the Hills Perth Western Australia, we have very little flat ground LoL..I can go up ANY hill now at 48km/hr top speed is 50 clicks...thats with wheelchair in tow.

Cheers...

KiM

Attachments