Mountain bikes & chain tentioners?

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
There's a real clear difference between the mountain bikes and cruiser bikes. The bar the chain tentioner mounts to isn't straight on the mountainbikes; it's mounted at a slight angle.

How does one get the chain to align with it?

bikebloak

Aug 31, 2011
Malate Manila, Philippines
Mine was simpler. I installed it on the bike. Noticing the misalignment, I just got hold of a 12" adjustable wrench and turned the tensioner to an angle where it would cradle the chain well. Did the job. The tensioner will also have a tendency to move inwards towards the wheel spokes. I solved the problem by wrapping the bike frame with a piece of engine gasket before installing the clamp portion of the tensioner. Then tighten the two bolts to kingdom come. And it worked!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of caution regarding wrapping the frame and clamping the bracket. Eventually whatever you used to wrap with, rubber, gasket material, sandpaper, etc. will compress and loosen and allow the tensioner bracket to move. When it moves under power it will rotate into the rear spokes. That can be a real issue if you're at speed so be careful. Check the bracket often for tightness.

Some chain stays are not round but more eiliptical/ oval in shape and will allow a better fit for the clamp on style of bracket. The real problem comes when the frame/chain stay is small and round.
There are numerous pages on this subject. Use the search feature, keyword, 'tensioner' and you'll have plenty of reading and some good suggestions on how to combat this notorious problem.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm not a fan of the chain tensioner at all. But Some bikes will not allow you to run without it because of the vertical rear dropouts.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I put the stock tensioner in my mountain bike and it has worked just fine. Once I properly tightened the rear sprocket(to remove any wobbling), I haven't had a single problem with the tensioner going into the spokes or the chain jumping off.

The easiest fix would probably be to just add a spring to the tensioner to keep it straight.