Help identify this Schwinn frame?

GoldenMotor.com

cksubs

Mar 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone, first time posting. I recently came across this old Schwinn in my parents' garage that my dad took home from a garage sale years ago, and thought it would look great with a motor on it!

The handlebar grips say Schwinn, but that's about all I know. Can anyone tell me the model or approximate year range?

Has anyone motorized this frame before? Any links to past builds would be awesome. I'm especially interested in what to do about the gastank. I'd like to fabricate something to fit in between those top bars.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look and any info you have.

Attachments

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
thats a schwinn DX probably from the 1940s. if the dropout for the rear axle opens to the rear its prewar and if it opens forward its postwar. kinda hard to tell in the picture fender braces in the way. nice bike with that sweetheart sprocket and skiptooth chain would be a great candidate for a motorbike

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Hi everyone, first time posting. I recently came across this old Schwinn in my parents' garage that my dad took home from a garage sale years ago, and thought it would look great with a motor on it!

The handlebar grips say Schwinn, but that's about all I know. Can anyone tell me the model or approximate year range?

Has anyone motorized this frame before? Any links to past builds would be awesome. I'm especially interested in what to do about the gastank. I'd like to fabricate something to fit in between those top bars.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look and any info you have.
i 'd between 1932 to 1938 being it a skip tooth sprocket ! go to olld bikes .com you can enter a serial # it will give you a year it was made!!!

cksubs

Mar 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone!

The dropout opens forward so it must be post-war according to the info in this thread.

This bike seems to use the same or a very similar frame... WOW. I'd love to get mine looking something like that, but with the rust red 'barn find' patina mine currently has.
http://motorbicycling.cSTUPIDLINKPOLICYom/f38/schwinn-boardtracker-14212.html

Have any gastank fabricators set up shop on the forums here? Seems like there's quite a demand. If not, where do people go for their custom in-frame tanks?

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice bike and definitely worth working with. Look through the vintage and boardtrack archives and you'll find information on different ways of building a tank in metal or fiberglass. I don't know of anyone making that particular tank so you will probably have to do it yourself... but it can be done. Welcome to the forum.
SB

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i made one with split top tubes before....i was able to bend the studs under the tank around them....if there too far apart you can always make a bracket to mount it.....cool bike though....after further inspection it looks like it doesnt have split tubes on top....wow my eyes are going south fast...i see no problem with mounting a tank to it....some tlc and some paint and you got a way cool bike

Last edited:

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
What motor (cheap) might go on this model of Schwinn? I am on a budget!

PT
Check BGF on ebay. boygofast ( seller) pretty cheap stuff. OR some of the advertisers here too have osme pretty fairly priced kits. i dont know what you can afford to spend, or wish to spend, might i ask that? then ill do what i can to point you in the right direction