stem

GoldenMotor.com

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
OK, I want to get some help here. I have a northwoods ridgedale cruiser, and I can't stand the stem, or the bars on it, so I want to change them. I was hoping to maybe use thisDIMENSION QUILL STEM ADAPTOR at JensonUSA.com

But if I did use that, I would not want to use a riser. Instead, I want to clamp on a BMX, 1 1/8' stem. Is this possible without changing my forks, headset, etc? My stock stem quill measures 25mm. The fork is threaded externally, and it does utilize a wedge bolt. any input would be great... thanks....

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The idea is good but based on the measurements you have provided the part you linked to will not work. The part you linked to fits a one inch steerer tube, and if in fact your current stem quill is 25mm you have an 1 &1/8th inch steerer tube. So what you need to find is an adapter that goes from 1 & 1/8th threaded to 1 & 1/8th threadless, or find a shim for the Steerer tube of your fork to turn it into 22.2 ID and then you can use the part you linked to.

I Just went to the Jensen site and they have what you need here, http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ST308Z04-Profile+Conversion+Stem+Column+Adapters.aspx You wnat the one that goes from 25.4 to 28.6.

ocscully

Last edited:

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
ya, I just don't want to order the adapter, and have it not work with my 1 1/8 DK stem. If anyone has ever tried this setup, or similar, please reply! lol I have some pic of what it looks like with a Giant Cyprus Stem. I think it reaches out too far, just like the stem that came with the bike originally. The stem that came with the bike had so much play, it was really unsafe, especially if you plan on bolting on one of those new Pirate Cycles Performance Engines! The Giant stem however,is much stronger, but I still don't like it as much as a BMX 1 1/8 stem. I'm hoping this converter will let me slide this stem on, and tighten it up!

Attachments