ohm reading on the mag coil

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm wondering what you guys have for a reading in ohms between the white and blue wire on the mag coil?
here is some of mine
1...345.0 will run lights idle as low as I want it to
2...328.0 ohm same for this
3....315.0 ohms have to set idle faster to idle with lights on.
4....333.0 ohms will idle with lights on same as #1 and#2
I did the measuring right on the mag coils soldered lugs using a digital mulitimeter(fluke brand) set on the ohms scale. I think it went to mega ohms.
I have found that one mag coils reading the 333.0 has a bad connection on the plug in connector
factory made could not get a reading on its end but when plugged into the wiring system it would run
did some looking. found the insulation had been crimped in this connector only the tip was making q connection when plugged in and I mean the very center tip.
Some of the things you take for granted that will/should work won't, doing some checking your going to find stuff that will make you go????????!!!!!!!!
So if I may recommend do check your wires with a meter make sure you have a good solid connection
even if it looks good it may not be funny thing is that dead end also had solder in the end making it look like it was solid. I will resolder it and see if it will make a difference. Could not get any reading on the connectors side to start with just the very tip yet it would work when plugged into the system.
but the low reading coil still doesn't want to run lights and idle yet if I keep the idle up high where I don't like it to idle it works fine must be this coil didn't get the proper amount of windings it don't look any different than all the rest maybe a little bit thinner but tough to measure size wise, other than with the meter.
so I bought a new coil I'll check it and see if it will be a keeper.
let me know your mag coil reading and if you run lights I'd like to know
thanks Norman

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just an FYI on the connectors, if you're looking for something better but don't want to solder and heat shrink the connection for possible future engine removal check out your local home depot for florescent light ballast connectors. They're a 2 wire connector with a positive lock (squeeze the side tabs to release) They're cheap and they work very well. Used them on a utility trailer that I couldn't leave the taillights on because of vandalism.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Fair what I need is just the ohm readings off of the mag coil engine not running the coil can be off of the engine I want to know the resistance from the blue to white wire only. Thanks norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Thanks Fairracing for the info. Have you ran any of these with a light? if so how well did they work?
Looks like the one I have is close to being dead its a new one to boot from a new engine kit it measured 315.0 ohms
Either its got an internal short or not enough winding.
Norman

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The 355 is the only one I have run the lite off of. I have absolutely no problems and can run the plug above .030. I do have to make sure the lite is off before starting the motor but other then that no problems. It will sit and idle with the light on all day long.

The 355 is also several years old with thousands of miles and the 342 is only a month or two old with maybe around 200 miles on it.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
Fair what I need is just the ohm readings off of the mag coil engine not running the coil can be off of the engine I want to know the resistance from the blue to white wire only. Thanks norman
dont do it with the engine runnig or youll be buying a new meter...i got a fluke 87 and i dont need to shell out another 400 bucks...hahaha just kidding...norm youve always been helpfull...i found one of fair racing's threads about this once id listen to him...all my wire colors are the same since i rewired the bike...****ty stock wiring and all