about controllers mho

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I finally had everything tore down enough to do some tests real time. Here are the actual results of real time testing not theories. The results may not be true for you, but this is what I found.

Elements used in the test.

Two rhino motor drives with 650watt motors.

1 @ 24v battery pack... this pack was old and used up enough to allow side by side testing and recharging within an hour or so.

1@ 36v battery pack...

1@ 24v 500watt controller

1@36v 800 watt controller

1@ throttle assembly.

1 20amp house type switch....

test one.. 36v battery pack with no controller simple on/off switch. Result motor was scary fast. It was also hard to control. It had no throttle control of course simply pulsed the motor. Range was stinko.

test two.. 24 volt battery pack with no controller everything else was the same. Bike did much better. Slower and much easier to control. Climbed hills almost as well as the 36v pack but slower top end and easier to pedal assist. Range was somewhat better.

test three.. Same drive with 24v controller and throttle. results as compared to the same battery pack but without controller. The no controller setup had better top speed... had better hill climbing power and better range.

test four... 36v power pack... 36v controller... throttle..... compared to 24volt system it had more speed.... not surprisingly it climbed hills better. The surprise was that it was not all that much better than the no controller 24v system. It was easier to control than the 36v non controller setup or the 24v no controller.

My conclusions are.... the best system all things considered is a 24v power supply with the rhino 650 drive and the simple on/off switch. It needs a fuse and a fail safe kill switch. A removable wire link will do for that.

So anybody want to buy some controllers.

Last edited: