new head

GoldenMotor.com

Mikey DEEEE

May 14, 2009
AZ
today i got a new slant head from zoombicycles and i am wondering if i need a tourque wrench to change it outdance1

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
you dont NEED a torque wrench. in theroy, if you hand tighten all the nuts to contact with the crush washers and then do equal ratchet strokes in an x pattern you should have even torque.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I recommend a torque wrench (maybe you borrow a small one), but it's possible to do without, but the stock studs and acorn nuts strip really easy (even with a torque wrench!)

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
I recommend a torque wrench (maybe you borrow a small one), but it's possible to do without, but the stock studs and acorn nuts strip really easy (even with a torque wrench!)
what pd torque for 80cc...reagular and slant...thank you...Dennis.....i have have them 12 lbs now but my regular 80cc is hard to start...slant is fine...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
12-14 stock with 8mm studs, 10-11 with 6mm. If you have 8mm and they are replacement studs and nuts, you can go over 15 ft lbs. I doubt that a non leaking head/gasket at 12 will be the cause of starting problems....my slant started fine when I had a huge gap (head was not flat)

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
12-14 stock with 8mm studs, 10-11 with 6mm. If you have 8mm and they are replacement studs and nuts, you can go over 15 ft lbs. I doubt that a non leaking head/gasket at 12 will be the cause of starting problems....my slant started fine when I had a huge gap (head was not flat)
The slant seems fine...i purchased the new carb from spooky tooth..the upgrade for 80cc...i noticed if i pull the choke in it does not kill the engine like the regular carb...it idles fine,excellerates fine, seems to be know air leaks...it does have a small breather hole on the right, bottom side...?...i torqued my head at 12 lbs and put the new carb on at the same time...any suggestions...Thanks Pablo...Dennis

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Just a suggestion about torque wrenches. Before you torque anything put the wrench on something like a lugnut on a car with it set around 20 lbs. and click the wrench a few times. That internally lubes it so it's alot more accuate. Make sure you lube the threads on the bolts. The nut has to be moving when the wrench clicks. What I mean is say your tightening the nut and you stop at say 10 lbs and ratchet it back some then turn again and it clicks right away. It's because it might take 15 lbs of torque to get the nut moving again because of drag. Just loosen it a tad then tighten again so the wrench goes off with the nut in motion for accuate reading. If you have a inch pound torque wrench multiply the foot pounds by 12. 12 foot pounds = 144 inch pounds. You guys probably know all that but just incase you didn't.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Just a suggestion about torque wrenches. Before you torque anything put the wrench on something like a lugnut on a car with it set around 20 lbs. and click the wrench a few times. That internally lubes it so it's alot more accuate. Make sure you lube the threads on the bolts. The nut has to be moving when the wrench clicks. What I mean is say your tightening the nut and you stop at say 10 lbs and ratchet it back some then turn again and it clicks right away. It's because it might take 15 lbs of torque to get the nut moving again because of drag. Just loosen it a tad then tighten again so the wrench goes off with the nut in motion for accuate reading. If you have a inch pound torque wrench multiply the foot pounds by 12. 12 foot pounds = 144 inch pounds. You guys probably know all that but just incase you didn't.
Thanks Junster...you've been good with great information...like i told Pablo...that new carb is funny...grear exceleration,good trootle..but it took forever to kick over...i tried every trick...this mornining took it off...pow...the old one is great...the slide tube on the new one is larger...wont fit in the old and it appears the intake tube is also larger...i there is something else about these ,couldnt kill it by choking it but the idle and everthing else was fine...wierd...but now i know the torque is correct and that wasnt the problem...just did a pass bye at the HOT AUGUST NIGHTS Auction and i got a few clicks of the cameras....we need a Hot MB Night...that would be a good parade...1000 MB all in a row...ha...oh well thanks for the info as always its good...Dennis

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
RATS!
I saw the title and thought this was going to provide some sources.
Gotta stop letting my mind go places it shouldn't.
Sorry...carry on.