Stripped 6mm Threads

GoldenMotor.com

vicsvw

May 12, 2009
USA
Vic's Tip *** If you have any 6mm threads that are stripped. Install heli-coils. But if you don't have the special tap kit here is the next best thing. Just tap the striped out threads to 1/4-20 american. The tap drill for the 1/4-20 is a #7 drill. But when the 6mm pulls the threads out it's just the corect size for taping the 1/4-20. No need to drill out the old threads.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
By 1/4-20 American do you mean UNC or BSW or just whitworth.

I have not heard of that measurement here in Australia.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
timesert inserts is what I prefer used to fix 3 stripped threads on one of my engines.
I watched the video from Timesert and have been over the website- If I were using a Chinese 2 stroke, I would seriously consider installing Timeserts from the beginning, at least at the engine mounts.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I watched the video from Timesert and have been over the website- If I were using a Chinese 2 stroke, I would seriously consider installing Timeserts from the beginning, at least at the engine mounts.
Probably put timeserts on the exhaust port too as they fail fairly often as well because of the exhaust hanging off the studs.

Unfortuneately the Timesert kit is about $50 for the 6 mm size

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
One of my bikes now has 3 timesert inserts. The latest one is on the head-intake stud stripped out on me while repacing gasket.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona