wheel rims

GoldenMotor.com

Howitt

Jun 7, 2008
I was wondering where you can purchase 12 gauge spoked ( or thicker ) wheel rims?

I had seen a post a while ago telling of an onlline electric bike parts dealer that offered them but I am unable to find the post.

I am looking for a dealer who delivers to Canada.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I was wondering where you can purchase 12 gauge spoked ( or thicker ) wheel rims?

I had seen a post a while ago telling of an onlline electric bike parts dealer that offered them but I am unable to find the post.

I am looking for a dealer who delivers to Canada.
Actually bought a set today for my Schwinn Jaguar from a local bike shop for $65 a piece. They go by the name of Letterboy wheels & were designed for carrying heavy weight. Of course...means I'm going from 7-speed to single speed...but makes for a much stronger ride which will carry me & my 4 stroke I'm building.

The dealer showed me a catalog he orders from & they had several different types of 12 gauge. Biggest difference...the amount of money you want to spend for whatever style you want. Any good bicycle shop should be able to order them for you. Not sure of the cost in Canadian Dollars...but shouldn't be too bad.

Another place I had looked was Spooky Tooth in Tucson & Bisbee, AZ. Here's their URL: Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home . The reason I didn't order from them was with the shipping & sales tax (being in Arizona)...it would've cost me more than what I them got here locally..trk

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
You might find what you need at the huskybicycles.com site they seam to have good prices. Hope this helps.
Was just over there looking at their industrial bikes. Several of the trikes are rated from 450-500 Lbs with 11/12 gauge spokes & a basket/platform. The only thing I didn't like was the prices...but the construction was something I was really amazed about for a company I had previously laughed about for building the ultimate cheap bike. Once I get mine built...may have to save the money for one of these. Wouldn't have to worry about the weight issues like you would on a consumer type bike.

As for mine...the only parts which are going to be stock is the frame/seat post/front post...cantilever brakes...cables & brake levers. Going with the coaster brake & getting rid of the derailleur with a new sprocket/chain...since I'm going with 12 gauge wheels...my MB is going to be a 1 of a kind bike. No 1 in the world will have another one like it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
RedB66,
Have you used these rims on a build of your own? I'm considering buying a set. The listing says the front is a brake wheel. Is that a drum brake? I can't tell from the picture. Also is the rear coaster brake a Bendix? Did you or anyone else reading this have any trouble mounting the drive sprocket to the rear wheel? It looks like a good deal to me if it will work with a 2 cycle kit. Thanks to anyone who can clarify.
Silverbear

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
RedB66,
Have you used these rims on a build of your own? I'm considering buying a set. The listing says the front is a brake wheel. Is that a drum brake? I can't tell from the picture. Also is the rear coaster brake a Bendix? Did you or anyone else reading this have any trouble mounting the drive sprocket to the rear wheel? It looks like a good deal to me if it will work with a 2 cycle kit. Thanks to anyone who can clarify.
Silverbear
I've used them on several bikes. I've found that with most coaster brake wheels the drive sprocket hole needs to be enlarged. Not a big issue...just some minor tweaking.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
RedB66's suggestion is one of the best and easiest ways to go and that is with the HD Wheels available thru BikeWorldUsa!

I have worksman wheels on some of my builds these wheels are by far my opinion the best way to go.

I have recently been working on a new build for a customer its a stretch cruiser with ouch my fingers are killing me its very hard to type right now suffering from 68 spoke spoke-itis.

Yes I did and will never again use a 68 spoke wheels on any new builds took me about 6 hours to mount the sprocket.

From now on its heavy duty wheels 36 spoke only, dont know what I was thinking when I told customer sure I can mount the sprocket on the 68 spoke wheel never again.

So if you want to try using the 68 spoke wheel, feel my pain don't It's a nightmare!

However if you are like me and want to try the 68 spoke wheel, heres how I did it.

I bought at lowes 3"x3" rubber cuppling cut it to 3/4" thickness I started buy putting wheel on a large bucket then laid 3/4" spacer I made then sprocket then bolts thru sprocket etc etc ... 6 hours later and swollen fingers to show for it a 68 spoke wheel with drive sprocket ready for chain.

By the way motor mounts are a design that are from none other than, RedB66 also!!!

The motor mount brackets are available at your local home improvement store ie Lowes & Home cheapo. These are simpson A24 strong ties about $2.00 a piece.

You'll need to purchase 3 simpson A24 strong ties,

2 for the front of motor they need to be doubled in the front for added strength,

1 for rear of motor,

next you'll need 4 muffler clamps use only the brackets not the U bolt these are available at your local auto parts store,

then you'll need 4= 3"long 3/8" dia bolts flat & lock washer,

and the nuts then bolt them on starting with front motor mount first then start on your rear motor mount.

BTW you'll also need to bend the A24 brackets on a steel vise, then drill 5/16th holes for muffler brackets, then drill I think its 1/4" holes for studs on motor to fit thru A24 & grind down the V points on the muffler brakets so they wont hit each other when you tighten them.

Try the simpson A24 strong ties they are super strong 12gauge steel for a strong inexpensive motor mounts.

Especially designed by RedB66 for use on the stretch cruisers!!!

Peace All Crazy Horse has Spoken the Truth!!!

NOTICE ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR MOTORIZED BIKE BEFORE RIDING IT COULD BE THE LAST TIME YOU EVER DO INSPECT IT. BE SAFE & ENJOY YOUR RIDING!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
RB66 & Crazy Horse,
Thanks for responding to my questions. I'll order the set from BikeWorldUSA whether the front wheel has a brake or not. No way around it, it's a good deal. I was watching a worksman on ebay right now and am going to remove my snipe bid. Also was looking at a Micargi Cougar from bikebuyer.com... with 68 spoke wheels which I wondered about mounting that sprocket on, so your post was right on time and right on target. Thanks for helping me avoid more problems. I like that Cougar though, all chrome. Being part raccoon I like shiny stuff. So I will stick with rebuilding one of my 63 Schwinn American Flyers (modified American Deluxe models) and put the heavy duty wheels on it. Save some bucks, too. Many thanks. What a great forum this is.
Silverbear

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
RedB66,
Have you used these rims on a build of your own?
Just got the back on Saturday. At $65 USD each...each wheel was more than what I had till payday.

Just got thru putting a touring tire on the rear wheel. With the white walls on the side...is going to look very classy & retro.

I'm considering buying a set. The listing says the front is a brake wheel. Is that a drum brake? I can't tell from the picture. Also is the rear coaster brake a Bendix?
Don't know about the front wheel having a brake. The one I'm going be getting is a free spinning axle which goes on the front. The rear I just picked up has a coaster brake...but am unsure of the vendor of the pads or axle.

Did you or anyone else reading this have any trouble mounting the drive sprocket to the rear wheel? It looks like a good deal to me if it will work with a 2 cycle kit. Thanks to anyone who can clarify.
Silverbear
Am waiting on a new drive sprocket for my 4-stroke from bicycle-engines.com. Should be in late this week or early next week. Wanna get my MB built & broke in.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes,
I bought the set from Bikeworldusa and have them mounted on my 63 Schwinn American. Although the bike is a middleweight technically, the frame is well made and the fat wheels and new tires fit. Front fork required a little filing due to the axle being a little bigger in diameter, but I didn't have to remove much. They look and feel great... much better ride, softer and smoothed out. I solved the no front brake problem by finding a NOS brake adapter on eBay and then bought an MX Pyramid caliper brake. So now I have a front brake and the coaster brake on the rear.
I'm thinking about buying another set of heavy duty wheels for my other 63 Schwinn American. Why do you ask, do you have a set?
Silverbear