how to install front forks?

GoldenMotor.com

rsdoherty88

May 25, 2009
Tacoma, WA
So...I just broke the front fork on my mountain bike going over a jump and landing too hard. I want to upgrade to a shock fork. Will any work or are there different sizes and thicknesses to be considered? And are there any specialty tools required for replacing the fork?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
No special tools that I can think of but you will need the steering tube to match the frame and possibly a new head set (Bearings and races for the forks). Keep the old fork so you can match up the length.

rsdoherty88

May 25, 2009
Tacoma, WA
No special tools that I can think of but you will need the steering tube to match the frame and possibly a new head set (Bearings and races for the forks). Keep the old fork so you can match up the length.
How will I know if the new fork steering tube I buy will match the the frame? Do I measure the diameter?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes measure diameter and length, there is also threaded and threadless. Easy to determine, if it has threads at the top then it is threaded. Here are some inexpensive suspension forks. If your old ones, threaded, 1 inch diameter and your head tube is shorter than 4.5 inches they will work.
www.NYCBikes.com
and
www.NYCBikes.com

rsdoherty88

May 25, 2009
Tacoma, WA
FTR. Changing out the forks really is easy. My dad has a mountain bike with shocks and I took his off and tested them on my bike and it was super simple!

BTW, riding around with front shocks makes riding way more fun. It's more comfortable, and it can pull wheelies a lot easier! I highly recommend it. I just ordered some off of the NYC site.