Wheel lacing

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I tried lacing a disc hub today. Something must have gone wrong again, because i tried this before with the same results.

Attempt 1:
Using a rear coaster wheel (existing) I removed all spokes and started lacing the new shimano hub in. I calculated (after lacing it) that my spokes were 10mm too long. I checked the old hub vs new with a caliper, measuring from opposite spoke holes that it's spaced at exactly 2". So on this 36h hub, one spoke hole is 2" exactly from the spoke hole that's 180 degrees away. Turns out that my shimano disc hub is 2.4" on the same measurement. I either need new (shorter spokes) or a different rim to start with. One that's closer in hub diameter.

Fast forward to today.

Attempt 2:
I got another coaster wheel, and this one measures 2.35" on the same measurement. I lace it in, and now they are still too long. I'm using the standard 36h lacing pattern, but i must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Most of the time when I re-lace a wheel with a slightly larger hub, the spokes end up being too long; but I can usually grind flush the excess spoke after it laced. ;)

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Check the flange to flange distance too. I didn't get which was your original hub. Anyway I use those online spoke calculators for pretty much everything. This way with the measurements you have you can quickly see what will fit and what won't, and what you can change. One time the spokes calculated out to be too long. But then I selected 4-cross instead and it checked out, and so I rebuilt the one side of the wheel with 4-cross because those were the only spokes I had.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I didn't even think about checking the flange to flange distance.

To reclarify:

Disc hub measures 2.400 inches at spoke holes 180 degrees apart.

1st attempt was with a coaster wheel with a diameter of 2". Spokes were thin anyway, so i scrapped it. The rim was flimsy and rusty as well. It went in the trash. Seized hub too.

The current wheel I am trying to use is a coaster with 12ga spokes, hub diameter of 2.350".

I'm going to try the 4 cross pattern and see what happens.

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
That's my girl..! Best video....when I sent Ya the video Idn realize it was posted here. Also remember 4 cross and twist! I've taken normal front hub spokes and laced 90mm drums with no problem Same with rear.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Worked like a charm! Got it tensioned yesterday, trued up real nice today.

Now to get a caliper and disc. I have a 200cc Frankenstein bike that needs to be able to stop lol.