The Felts are pretty nice

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- I know a guy who is a machinist...he is building pumps for CHINAS FIRST COMMERCIAL AIRLINER.

These pumps are not being built by or in China, but right here in Ohio.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
J, sorry to offend. It wasn't my purpose and not a personal attack. I just get frustrated sometimes about the whole China Cheese thing. You are free of course to have your opinions as well as I am to have mine. At least that is one thing in America that is still free.

I do wonder at what point in our history the rails of industry here in the US got replaced by a slow boat from China? Enough time so that the public expects the low every day pricing :) all day every day eh?

BTW, I'm not much of a beef eater either. More of a localvore. Preparation is key.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
right on...no enemy here, mabman. I had had a couple drinks and a toke or two last night, which partially explains the uninhibited nature of my response. There are things they do very well in china, and other things not so much.

Like Joe said, they don't even build there own aircraft, and they're army has been described as the largest museum of outdated weaponry in the world. They had to buy one of Russia's first generation (50's era) aircraft carriers a few years ago, just so they could take it all apart and copy the design...to be sure, they are decades behind in military and aviation technology.

However, they do have the machines to make anything they can copy (including US currency, by the way). My buddy has a business selling blown diesel motors to China. You can pick them up for around $700-$900, fill a shipping container, and then sell them for $1500 each in China. This is because no machine shop in the states will invest the time and parts to rebuild them here, but over there they can rebuild them to new condition and sell them for around $5000. This is all due to the fact that in America, we tend to throw things out instead of just fixing them. I rekon it won't be long before those engines come back around to being re-sold in the states...they're already doing it with high output generators. I can get a 25kv, Japanese, diesel generator (a $20,000 machine new) that has been totally rebuilt down to the bearings in China, delivered on the west coast for around $6000! Nobody else in the world can do rebuilds for less...

well, anyway, I'll try to stick to sober posting in the future, as not to offend...everybody here has been so helpful, the last thing I want to do is piss ANYBODY off...merry Christmas.

Hugs.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In only text, with out benefit of facial expression or body language it is easy to misinterpret and feel insulted when none was meant. Over the last month I have angered 3 different folks here with no malice meant. Just happens some times. All about communication, me thunks. Enjoy the heck out of you folks. well worth the lil flair ups. Most especially when they die down. Happy Holidays one and all! God bless.....

if one were to machine out the cases for larger bearings & simply drill a couple of holes in the wheels on either side of the pin the engine would last a ton longer

I do think you get what you pay for
I make stuff for a living here that could be made for less in china & there is just no way I can compete with that
luckily no one imports what I make from china so I dont have to compete

you all have a merry christmas
take care
JAK

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I just had to get my $ .02 worth in. In the early 1990's I did special electrical designs for several Cincinnati Milacron PRECISION CNC Lathes. These machines were, and are today capible of making the highest precision parts in the world. I have seen good and bad goods from both China and the US. I just got my SBP shift kit and it is top quality. We live in a global economy and it is what WE make it.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Wow i just read my last post and realized I forgot to say that the CNC lathes we manufactured went to China. I think we shipped 8 or 9 of them at about $300,000 a copy. So you can say we profited from China on that deal and China had machines that could make high quality parts.