48h Heavy-duty lite rear wheel on SA 36h drum hub

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
My quest to build the lightest heavy duty wheel with a hub brake.

The rears on this bike have seen over 500lbs each using the same rim and spoke combo:

What you'll need:

48h Alex DM24 rim from Main Street Pedicabs ($41 shipped)
240mm Wheelsmith 14g SS spokes
Sturmey Archer X-RD 70mm rear freewheel drum brake hub (or any hub with no lightening holes on FW side)
A final drive sprocket. The one used here came from BoyGoesFast on eBay for $10.

A Sun Rhynolite might work too, but it's 6mm thinner at 27mm.

Step 1: drill 36h hub to 72h.

Good luck finding a disc or drum brake hub of any kind for a reasonable price in 48h. After drilling, the C-C of spoke holes is the same as a BMX 48h hub I have here at 5/16" and the flange is 50% thicker, so it is perfectly safe.

I made a small drill guide fixture to make this easier (hand drill only).

Step 2: drill sprocket holes

The first hole was the hardest and the others went smoothly.

Countersink spoke holes and deburr spoke, sprocket, and valve holes.

Step 3: lace the wheel.

Use 2 out of every 3 holes on the newly drilled 72h hub to fit to 48h.
When determining the correct spoke size, you generally fall in between two common sizes. Subtract 2mm from your length. When lacing, if they are on the long side lace crossing spokes with a hole in between; if they are the right size lace with no hole in between as pictured.

Step 4: true the wheel.

Spokes of a certain length should not be too tight, and not too loose. A good guideline is going by the relative pitches of the spokes. Go by this article... Remember to stress-relieve the spokes before use.
http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/tension.htm

Enjoy. This wheel weighs 4 pounds plus the sprocket which weighs 1lb 4oz, total of 5.25lbs. I don't expect to ever have problems again... But if I do... I can buy spokes at any bike shop!

Last edited: