why can't I??

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay with the small rear wheel the crank arms drags the ground. I need to shorten them and I'm not holding a machine shop. I also honestly don't care what it looks like. So why can't I just:

1. Move up about two inches and drill a 3/8 hole through the alum crank arm. It is still solid metal there.
2. Run a 3/8 x 4 inch bolt through it.
3. slide a 3/8" ID galvanized pipe nipple onto the bolt
4. Use lock washers and double nuts whatever it takes to lock it down tight.

I hope it would give me a solid peg two inches farther from the ground. On my hub motor bike it shouldn't be a big deal that the pedals don't rotate.

Or should I not lock the nipple down and let it roll over the bolt as I pedal.

Whatcha think.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it... Okay on the offer to fix them, I would send them along but then I wouldn't have the fun of screwing it up. But I have to tell you that it is a heck of a good deal you are offering me. I am saving the address after I screw these up beyond hope, I will pick up a set from a thrift shop bike and send them to you,

I use 20" cranks on my one piece crank sets. They work great. It is harder to find the three piece set in twenty inches. If I run across one I will definitely pick it up.

On the broken bolt thing I think you have a point. It has been my concern all along. I could use an axle as the rod. God knows I have plenty of them. I could even use the spindle as a roller. The more I think of it the better I like that idea.

I'm going to the thrift store today to see what they have.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it... Okay on the offer to fix them, I would send them along but then I wouldn't have the fun of screwing it up. But I have to tell you that it is a heck of a good deal you are offering me. I am saving the address after I screw these up beyond hope, I will pick up a set from a thrift shop bike and send them to you,

I use 20" cranks on my one piece crank sets. They work great. It is harder to find the three piece set in twenty inches. If I run across one I will definitely pick it up.

On the broken bolt thing I think you have a point. It has been my concern all along. I could use an axle as the rod. God knows I have plenty of them. I could even use the spindle as a roller. The more I think of it the better I like that idea.

I'm going to the thrift store today to see what they have.
Deac,
Broken bolts shouldn't be a concern if you go with a grade 8 fastener. Instead of a pipe nipple, with the threads showing, why not just a length of steel tubing or a longer nipple with the threads cut off. I know you said looks aren't a concern but...
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got it done....

I drilled a couple of holes in the crank arms, then put a half inch bolt with a pipe nipple on it. I made it so the pipe nipple would revolve. It turned out to be a distraction so I tightened it down.

Now here is a something I did not expect. The bike pedals better. The pedal is not just shorter at the bottom but it is also shorter front and back. I hadn't thought of that but It make a difference in how the bike rode.

I did a one mile ride and it tested out just fine. It didn't drag the ground even once. I'm going to take the camera down and make some pictures and ride it again in a few minutes. try to squeeze in a longer one before the rain,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
final update on this issue... I test rode the bike with one pipe loose and one tight. Loose wins. I came back and packed it with bearing grease. That oughta do it.