Hub/rim lacing question.

GoldenMotor.com

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I'm looking into doing a front disk brake conversion on my cruiser. My question at the moment is. Will it be possible to lace a disk brake hub with my rim size?

I'm running really skinny 26 x 1 3/8 rims.

I'm just curious if I'm going to run into problems with getting a hub that was probably meant for a wider rim laced to my rim.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I may not be visualizing things right since I don't know anything about disc brake hubs and lace 2 1/4 rims on my wheels with drum brakes, but I don't think it would make any difference what size rim you are using. One way to find out is to just try it. Probably most people here are using wider rims. Good luck to you and let us know how it works out.
SB

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
as long as you have the right length spokes it'll lace right up.
I was thinking this same thing because it looks like the disk brake hub will be larger than the stock hub. I guess the only thing to do is to get a hub and then take it down to the bike shop with the rim and see if they will do it for me.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Even if the new disc hub is a little bigger than the old hub?, you might still be able to re-use the spokes & just grind the tips off them after it's laced so they dont poke the inner tube. ;)

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Now I'm not so sure if this will be doable as far as getting this hub laced into the wheel I have. It is considerably larger.

I've also run into another problem. The axle of the hub is slightly larger than the drop outs of the fork. Would I be able to shave the fork to get it to fit or is that a big no no?

If I can get the hub laced into these wheels, and get the hub to fit the forks, the next hurdle will be the disc itself. the forks go in slightly like /\ just not as extreme. So I'm not sure if the disk will even clear or not. I haven't purchased the disk brakes yet because I want to know the hub will work first.