Tools Every MBer should have.

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I just answered this in your build update post...
But I will recommend a dremel as it seems to be onenof the most handy tools you can own.... dremel clones from places like northern or harbor freight will also do the trick... and definitely save you a ton on dremel tips.
lots of us have some good ebay links for the good carbide rotary files for the dremels too.... don't buy the dremel brand tips, they're really nice but big time overpriced compared to harbor freight or ebay

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
I just answered this in your build update post...
But I will recommend a dremel as it seems to be onenof the most handy tools you can own.... dremel clones from places like northern or harbor freight will also do the trick... and definitely save you a ton on dremel tips.
lots of us have some good ebay links for the good carbide rotary files for the dremels too.... don't buy the dremel brand tips, they're really nice but big time overpriced compared to harbor freight or ebay
juat checked out harbor freight. possibly the bet place to get tools!!! Im impressed. thanks Davezilla. tools galore for super cheap. Now i dont feel so helpless. wooohoooo pino.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
MadMaxed- An internet savvy (according to people her age:) ) friend of mine took a look at my sole website membership, and made a couple of suggestions.

For this idea that we came upon at the same time, she suggests that we not only make a thread that is a list of itemized links, but also link back to it at each thread that we list. The idea being that there is one "main" location thread for tools.
Apparently decorum dictates speaking to a moderator about such a flurry of activity.

If you're interested in partnering up somehow to make this happen, let me know. I really believe a thread you could go to, scroll down reading descriptions until you find the tool by name and job that requires it, would be helpful to a lot of members, myself included!

Trey

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, Trey. There are built in limitations to the Google search. It focuses in on key words and provides everything related to that search criteria.

I'll ask Paul if there is any way to restrict the search findings but I don't believe there is.
Google sees "tools" and roots out every post or thread with that keyword. I agree that it increases the wading through lots of discussion but it does give some encapsulation with a few intro words that helps narrow the field somewhat.

Also there are tricks to using the search. Example: I just typed in "required tools" and got this > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...j14#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=required tools&gsc.page=1 Not a huge amount but there are several threads and posts that talk of tools that are needed. At least enough info to give folks some ideas of what might be required.

Being specific with the search is critical to finding what you're looking for instead of pages of discussion containing a singel keyword.

Tom

Last edited:

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
That would be awesome to have a tools section. I myself have 0 luck using search not just on this website but bing and google. hahaha. Lets see if we can get it done. Not a big deal if not.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
The answer to the question : Tools Every Member Should Have ?
Is simple....... All of them.... One can never have enough.
I have a sinful amount of money tied up in tools and tooling .
Never fails, I start a new project and need something that I just don't have.
Kind of like fishing gear........

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'll go slightly off-topic and suggest something more akin to 'supplies' or spare parts.

Grab an assortment of machine screws, nuts, lock washers, etc plus a tube of blue Loc-Tite. Wrap it up in a good ziploc and put it in your tool sack.

This can save you a good deal of aggravation.