Cone wenches

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Where is a good place to purchase some cone wrenches? Do I need to have two of the same size? And thinking you guys said 13 and 15 mm were the usual sizes. When measuring the hub for diameter using a micrometer, do I need one that reads inches or millimeters? Ok enough for the day. Headed for tractor supply or HF soon. gphil

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I got a fairly good digital all metal calipers that cost around $40 at Fry's Electronics stocked in a near by store. It is the General Brand, not USA made, but I feel of good quality that it works fine.

It has a button to read on the LCD screen: Metric Millimeter in decimal form, and Inch in decimal form, and Inch in Whole / Fraction form. Additionally you can look at the slider and try reading the non-LCD readout.

At an REI store I got a 15mm cone wrench that was of two that were in that size. It was the thicker metal one still only about $10.

HF I sometime get good luck and sometime bad. I'm wary of places that always sell extra warranty.

Home Depot and OSH and ACE hardware are other places I look for tools.
See Park Tool 13mm to 20mm sizes

Removing info on link prior posted as FB and Yelp have a lot of bad reviews. I'd buy ship to store if and only if free and no risk of having to pay shipping or return shipping if I were real careful.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I have a set of "Park" cone wrenches that are top of the line and work great. Very thin and strong with vinyl coated handles. Amazon sells them as well as some good cheaper sets.