fan cooling a china girl . . .

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Ok has any one done a fan cooled china girl?

i mean has anyone thought of hooking up a small enough but powerfull enough 12 volt cooling fan from some type of heavy dutie electronics to a mount aimed at the side of the head and jug or the head itself?

Do you even think an electric fan cooling system would keep a china girls temp down?

See my idea is to get a powerfull 12v 8x8 in high rpm cooling fan and mount it on brackets aimed at the head or head and jug and run it off an aux coil or 12v batter with a switch to help cool the motor under high rpm high compression racing do you guys think this would be a good idea, and if so would there be any performance or longetivity gain?

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I am shure it can be done veryy easy just a custom bracket on the frame a powerfull enough fan and a small 12v battery or a aux coil on the magneto and wire in a switch on the bars

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just keep the bike moving and you won't have to worry about cooling.
It's an air cooled engine. It relys on moving air over the cylinder head and cylinder to cool itself. Don't sit and idle for extended periods and the stock configuration will work just fine. Why complicate the issue? There's no advantage.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Hmm, Unless your motor is overheating, the stock cooling system should suffice.

If it is overheating, you should determine why, and not put a band aid on it.

A fan system will drain your battery pretty quick, I don't think it's worth it personally.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like you want to Buell-ize the engine. Some Buells have an electric fan that cools the aft cylinder of their v-twin engine.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Yeh its not overheating lol.

Its not even built yet , just wondering if there would be a performance advantage to fan cooling the motor so it runs at a lower temp

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I would be interested in a method of placing an insulation-cowling over the engine as a noise-reducer. This WOULD necessitate some means of forced-air. Overly complicating the build, for sure, but I'd love to dampen the noise these li'l engines make as much as possible.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
By water I meant having some kind of coolant mixed in so that it just won't boil right away... Maybe something similar to what the h2o morinis have, maybe some kind of electric pump to cycle trough a small radiator ?

The hardest part would be making the cylinder jug it self

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
By water I meant having some kind of coolant mixed in so that it just won't boil right away... Maybe something similar to what the h2o morinis have, maybe some kind of electric pump to cycle trough a small radiator ?

The hardest part would be making the cylinder jug it self
You could probably do it with a small aquarium pump, though it would require some work to make it actually go through the engine, you'd need to manufacture something. The pressure of the water raises its boiling point, it has nothing to do with the coolent (thats just antifreeze)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As TakeiT said, it isn't the cooling solution, it's the pressure. Raise the system pressure and you effectively raise the boiling point of it. That's why you see automotive radiator caps rated for PSI. 7, 10, 15, etc.

Water will boil at 212 degrees at sea level. It boils at about 190 at 6000' above sea level. Less atmospheric pressure, the lower the boiling point.

Pressurize the cooling system and you can heat it above the boiling point.
Now you've opened up another can of worms. A system that not only circulates coolant through a heat exchanger but keeps it under pressure as well.

Good luck. I prefer the K.I.S.S method. "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You do not need a pump on small, understressed systems if designed properly. Hot coolant rises as cooler fluid falls which causes circulation. As long as you lay out the radiator and hoses right,
the small heat load of a chinadoll would probably do fine without a pump or thermostat.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've seen a liquid cooled head on Arrow Racing's website on one of the bikes in their photo gallery, it looks pretty simple and I'm not sure if he's using a water pump to circulate the coolant or just the thermal transfer method...

For fan cooling a China Girl, maybe use a shaft extension off the bevel gear and a small centrifugal fan like on the pocketbikes with a shroud to direct the cooling air up to the cylinder and head...

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I've seen a liquid cooled head on Arrow Racing's website on one of the bikes in their photo gallery, it looks pretty simple and I'm not sure if he's using a water pump to circulate the coolant or just the thermal transfer method...

For fan cooling a China Girl, maybe use a shaft extension off the bevel gear and a small centrifugal fan like on the pocketbikes with a shroud to direct the cooling air up to the cylinder and head...
I never thought of mechanical fan cooled , , i wanted it to be simple and easy if i do do this so i can remove it and reinstall it and check head temp bolth ways

i was thinking an aux coil like the ones on e bay so it doesnt draw of the spark energy and wired direct to the fan so when the motor starts so does the fan and it would be pointed at the head and jug on the exhaust side right at the top of the exhaust port at an angle so the wind hiys bolth the head and exhaust port roof and header pipe

or a small 12v batter high drain imr or icr or lipo and a super powered fan from some heavy duti aplication qired to a switch so i can flip it when the motor runs

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
That and i think a mevhanical belt or chain drive fan with a clutch would draw far to mutch brake hp or useable mechanical energy from the drive line

i know that even on a big v eight a mech fan with a clutch can draw a lot of energy from the motor and doing an electric fan swap will free up a measurable amount of hp so i didnt want to go that route

Last edited: