Speedometer interference?

GoldenMotor.com

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
I did some cable management on my MB, and routed all the wires from the handlebars down a single tube. This includes kill switch, Headlight +, and speedometer. since doing so, the speedometer still registers speed fine when I walk the bike, but with the engine on, it now shuts down->resets->then comes back on and repeats.

I'm gonna start working on a solution tonight. I think first I'll try shielding the wire with something. Has anyone else had this problem?

-Alex

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've seen several members have this problem on the forum, and I had the problem years ago on my first build. What I did to solve it was isolate the speedometer cable from other wires, replaced the plug and plug wire with aftermarket ones, and installed a snap-on plug wire noise supressor. I didn't need the snap-on suppressor on later builds, merely keeping the speedometer wire isolated seemed to do the trick for the most part.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I've had this problem with an HT engine with a generic electronic bike computer that looks like it has the same housing as a Trail Tech dirt bike tach. The speedometer would fade to gray and reset, as well as displaying jibber with the engine near top speed. The same speedometer taken off that bike works on an electric bike fine. The CDI and the vibration both affect the electronics.

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Well that was the problem. I separated the wires and the problem went away. In the future I'd like to get an analog one on there, for looks.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The easiest thing to try would be a suppressor spark plug. If that doesn't work, there's also suppressor spark plug wires, and caps.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I did some cable management on my MB, and routed all the wires from the handlebars down a single tube. This includes kill switch, Headlight +, and speedometer. since doing so, the speedometer still registers speed fine when I walk the bike, but with the engine on, it now shuts down->resets->then comes back on and repeats.

I'm gonna start working on a solution tonight. I think first I'll try shielding the wire with something. Has anyone else had this problem?

-Alex
move your spedo cable to the other side .. or use a wirelss.. you can get a wireless spedo from walmart for 20 bucks.. comes with all the features.. temp miles trip speed etc

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My wireless Cateye died recently after several weeks of wonky operation (especially at higher rpm's)
:(

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
May not be the solution you're looking for, but it's solved everythin' for me;
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41494

...at this point, I couldn't imagine anything else save for appearance's sake ;)

As far as appearances go I love my frankenbike...but ive yet to find something durable enough to withstand the beating my bike gives to everything I attach to it...but I keep my droid handy on a bicycle speedometer app from the play store that is free and quite accurate...until I can get some wire shielding, this is what I'm doing...

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
it looks like the braided ground strap used on some cars.speed shops carry it as wire covering.
i have a roll of it,i use it on antenna wire to shield it from noise.
if you go with something like this,only one end should be connected to ground,not both.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
it looks like the braided ground strap used on some cars.speed shops carry it as wire covering.
i have a roll of it,i use it on antenna wire to shield it from noise.
if you go with something like this,only one end should be connected to ground,not both.
I'm actually looking to buy some cloth tape specifically used in aerospace technologies to basically wrap and seal the speedo wire to the fork leg...zpt