Check out this lighting system

GoldenMotor.com

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
I got the head light from ebay. Originaly got the idea from paul

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42658

i know when i first saw it i had to jump on it!
Sure makes people people do a double take at your bike.
The light has led blinky lights and the lazer lights, also of the bay
I run a similar one that is supposedly 900-1200 lumens... I'm skeptical as to whether the 3 led lights are really putting out 3-5k lumens since they are running off the same 8-9v battery pack

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Meh, whether it does or not idk

But I'm happy with its performance and for its price, it's a pretty good buy compared to other lighting systems.

It sure makes people aware that your around them.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
4000lm! Ouch! A typical auto headlight is between 800 and 1100lm. It might be a good idea to have a low beam mode or low output light for when you are in traffic. Especially considering that these lights don't have the same light pattern cutoff requirements as cars or motorcycles. There's seeing well, being seen, but at a certain point you are making other drivers unable to see.

Might also want to double check on using lasers on a "vehicle". There are a lot of laws on the books now ever since some nimrods decided it was clever to point one at an airplane. I think they look cool, use very little power and are very visible while safe if used properly but some people still get their panties in a knot over them. They can be no big deal or very dangerous and both extremes are available on eBay.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Thanks for the heads up harold_b

I passed by a couple cops already, with no issues yet.

But the front light has a low/med/high/and blink mode.... But for my sanity's sake I will never use the blink mode, lights to bright for that might cause a seizure.

And the I also have the option to run the taillight with laser on or off

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
what exactly are you using to power the lights? battery? mini gen? im curious...i live in a dark part of town and constantly have issues with adequate lighting...

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
One suggestion. I have personally found that just having a blinky light on the rear all by itself doesn't work that well. The reason being is that it is very difficult for the human eye to "lock onto" a blinking light source in order to correctly judge the distance, direction, and speed of the object (in this case an M-bike) that has just a blinky light. I have had much better results by using a combination of a solid on light in combination with a blinky light on the rear. Preferably with the solid on light about twice as bright as the blinky with the blinky separated by about a foot distance from the solid on light (usually with the blinky a foot or so above the solid on).

The blinky gets their attention so they see you and then the solid on light gives them something for their eyes to “lock onto” to judge your distance, direction, and speed. Works better for me then just a blinky in traffic after dark for cars coming from behind giving me more room and respect.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
One suggestion. I have personally found that just having a blinky light on the rear all by itself doesn't work that well. The reason being is that it is very difficult for the human eye to "lock onto" a blinking light source in order to correctly judge the distance, direction, and speed of the object (in this case an M-bike) that has just a blinky light. I have had much better results by using a combination of a solid on light in combination with a blinky light on the rear. Preferably with the solid on light about twice as bright as the blinky with the blinky separated by about a foot distance from the solid on light (usually with the blinky a foot or so above the solid on).

The blinky gets their attention so they see you and then the solid on light gives them something for their eyes to “lock onto” to judge your distance, direction, and speed. Works better for me then just a blinky in traffic after dark for cars coming from behind giving me more room and respect.
I do something sort of similar. I run 3 six-mode led tail lights, one in the rear and 2 on the sides. I let the side lights blink but I run the rear light solid, and I also have a brake light. The led's run on AA batteries but the brake light is an old yamaha turn signal that runs on a 7.2v nicad.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I have been looking for resonably priced fender light to make a brake light for my bike.

Right I run a blink mode on my rear light with lasers, and the I have another bike light on my back pack, not blinking.