A little advice please

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I came very close to throwing my new video camera into a creek today. I've had so many problems with it that I told my wife that I give up.
I know, I sound like a first time bike builder after numerous failures and breakdowns but I'm so frustrated.

Today was the annual Columbine Memorial Motorcycle Ride. They estimate over 3000 MCs showed up and I got to ride a few miles with them on my chopper. Before I pulled into the parade of bikes I reached up and pressed (or I thought I did) the video button, then took off nestled in with bikes of every type you could imagine. Captain America was well recieved by other bikers and spectators lining the streets. I got honked at, waved at, one group waved a huge American flag at me and I got smiles from the cops who were directing traffic. Great footage........if the darn camera had been recording. It wasn't. I know I felt the record button, I know I pressed it but with the camera mounted to the side of my helmet there is no way to confirm it is in fact recording except to remove my helmet and look at the stupid thing.

The video button on my Nikon S3300 camera is easily located with my fingertip when the camera is on my helmet mount. In my peripheral vision I can see the lens when it extends after I press the power button but not the screen to confirm that the record mode is working.

I lost out on recording a once a year event today. All I have are my memroies of it. I hope everyone who attended the Memorial Ride had a great day and everyone returned safely from the ride.
I'm sure local news coverage will show the highlights but you'll probably have to wait for the ball game to end.

My question is how do you guys who all seem to be so good at videos from your bikes and helmet cams confirm that the camera is doing what it is supposed to be doing? Do you take your helmet off? Do you have someone look at the screen to see the mode display? Does your camera make a noise of some kind when it goes into vid mode? Mine does but you can't hear it through a motorcycle helmet and over the noise of the engine. It's just a little chime that's not too loud.

Rats! I'm so pi$$ed at my own stupidity. If I'd only double checked.

Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The best way I know of to be sure you're recording is to have the LCD in full view.....then when you push the rec button the little red REC lights up and you know it's working. This I learned from Dave31 by mounting the camera to the front of a full face helmet and you can monitor everything when it's in view this way. It works for me.

With the GoPro mounted on the helmet, ya just ask someone nearby if the red light is blinking or take the helmet off and confirm for yourself.

dnut

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Scotto. I agree that taking the helmet off and looking at the display is the best way. The only problem with that is when you're riding and want to vid a certain scene, taking the helmet off can be awkward at best. I've never tried to ride one of my bikes with no hands even though as a kid I used to do it all the time. :)

I'll keep working on this problem. I was just so disappointed about missing that event today.

Tom

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
That’s to bad 2door. Maybe next time have someone just check it for you to make sure it is recording.

I had to work today but on the ride in I got to see some nice bikes. One thing I saw on a fatboy made me smile and laugh a lot. Guy had a life sized plastic skeleton zip tied to the back seat and pegs like it was riding lol.
When I pulled up next to him I asked if his Girl Friend was on an new diet, he laughed and said “Sure is she’s super model skinny now” lol.

Sucked working today but that lil thing made my day. No pictures no video But like you I have the memory and sometimes that’s all that counts in life.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i handed my camera off to a gentleman to video my deploying and recieving of a helitorch,it involves standing under a hovering helicopter.all he had to do was push a putton.he pushed it twice-equals about a two second video.i was a little disappointed to say the least.

in your case,if you have a front display,simply aim one of your mirrors to see whats going on with the camera.
my camera has a forward facing display.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Like dis..........

You can watch the vid while you are recording it........you can start and stop, and start again knowing it's recording. It's that simple if you have the LCD screen on the back of the cam ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I like the mirror idea. I have several small inspection mirrors with telescoping handles. It wouldn't be hard to carry one of those and use it to check the display.
My MC helmet isn't the full face type like Scotto's. It's the repro Peter Fonda, Captain America bucket so mounting the camera like his probably wouldn't work.

Tom

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol,i used a mirror to weld something i couldnt see,akward spot to see,ruined the mirror but got the weld done
i have used my camera for inspecting something i couldnt see,of for finding something i dropped inside a panel,tools in a car fender.
i just figured a rear view mirror aimed just right would do the trick.
curious to see how it works out.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I don't even have a display on my hat cam. So it can be real tricky to know if it is recording. I use an 808 keychain spy camera like this
http://nerdfever.com/?p=1215
The problem is that you just get three little flashes when you hit record to show that you are recording and sometimes in the sunlight the tiny light can be real hard to see. In fact after a few seconds all lights go out even though it is recording.
If I did have a display...I to kinda like the mirror idea. Probably the best way to check without having to fool with the camera and your helmet.