Delaware Riders and Builders....

GoldenMotor.com

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
I'm hoping to find some others here in Delaware who are riding and building MBs. Sound off please if you're out there. Im feeling all alone here.:-||

rmeyer1965

Nov 16, 2009
millsboro,de
Geogetown, DE here. I have a 26 inch mountain bike with a 66cc raw engine and a jack shaft kit and a 20 inch occ stingray witha 49cc engine from BGF. Have you had eny problems with the law over in Longneck?

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
I am suffering from the cold weather right now. Im trying to finish up my EZ Schwinn project but between waiting on parts, snow, rain and cold Im sidelined. I imagine we will need to register these as mopeds, but initially Im gonna play it by ear and see what goes with the POH-lice. How about you since youre only a few miles away? Any hassles for you with the local cops?

Last edited:

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Thought I was gonna have a better day today as my new crankset arrived on saturday, but man its cold and windy out there....better luck on monday maybe. New cranks, set the rear wheel, a few adjustments and Im sailing....I hope.

rmeyer1965

Nov 16, 2009
millsboro,de
I went for a ride yesterday 2 blocks way too cold. I have had no problems from the police here in Geogetown. I even went thrue a speed trap down by Del-Tech there were three patrol cars there. I did get some looks but I did better than the car that passed me ,she got a speeding ticket. You do have to register the bikes as mopeds but you will run into problems at the dmv as you do not have a title. The dmv will tell you the frame has to have a federal DOT stamp this is not true. Let me know when your ready and I will walk you thrue the process at the dmv ,as none of folks there will know how to help you. By the way do not ride your bike in Rehoboth or Bethany you will get hassled.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Thanks. I have been reading up on Delawares MB/Moped Regs. It seems that anything in our category is a "moped" and must be registered. W/o papers of origin it would need to go thru the DSP AutoTheft unit I imagine....and recieve a ser.# from them. Beyond that it would need a front/rear light and Im not sure about a horn but thats trivial at this point. I cant wait to get the DelMar done and start on the next build....a stretch cruiser....HF2.5 with a variator drive. I may need to slip that thru the DMV with a faked 49.9cc decal....LOL!
Thanks in advance for any help with the reg. process....its appreciated.

Also....the only other MB Ive ever seen here locally was at the Harris-Teeter or AutoZone on Rt24....was that you/yours? Believe it was a red cruiser.

Last edited:

rmeyer1965

Nov 16, 2009
millsboro,de
You are right about the auto theft unit . They are at the DMV once a month. When I went thru the inspection process they wanted a front head light low beam and high beam, fenders, street tires, a brake light tail light (must have 3 square inches of surface area)and a horn. You do not have to have turn signals . By the my bike has a 66cc raw engine mounted with a jack shaft kit. When asked by the auto theft unit about engine size I just answered 49cc.(oops) so that is what they wrote on the papers. That wasn't me on rt 24 but I have seen 3 MB,s in the area one in Ocean View one at the BJ,s in Millsboro and one in Georgetown the guy in Georgetown cut his bottom frame support off completley in order to mount the motor ,I cannot figure out why the bike has not broken in half. lol

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
That all doesnt sound so bad really and the fee I believe is only $5.00 for three years....also not bad. Im glad they didnt specify turn signals. Right now Im looking at another few weeks for completion and then a couple more to run it in here in the neighborhood(work the bugs out) before Im ready for G'Town, but it sounds easily doable. Ive been thru auto theft before with homebuilt trailers and a Triumph chopper I built years ago....those guys are usually OK to deal with. Im looking forward to a smooth go of it.

rmeyer1965

Nov 16, 2009
millsboro,de
Where do you live in DE. I live in Georgetown I am building bike number 16 or 17
Build them and sell them no problems with the police here and I can see the police station from my house. If you run in to eny problems or have questions drop me a line . Be glad to help. Good luck and these bikes are a blast

jplus

Apr 29, 2012
Delaware
pretty close, I'm in seaford, my engine kit just shipped today from pirate cycles I can't wait until it gets here! you got any pictures of your builds?

vwron65

Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Middletown here, i just finished building my second one on a 24". Now i have 66cc on a cruiser and 48cc on a smaller frame mountain bike. I love the looks i get when i ride them. So far no hassle from local cops yet. I did saw a few riders around town, now i know that i am not alone here, maybe we could have a rally someday.