Do you need insurance to ride legally?

GoldenMotor.com

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
in florida mopeds, scooters, & motorcycles don't require insurance.
it is required if you don't where a helmet on a motorcycle.
motorcycle insurance is pretty cheap though.
i lived in south florida. & i had full coverage insurance. that included if it got stolen. i think my bill was around $200 & some change per year.
that was for a vespa 150cc which by florida laws is a motorcycle.

all of the above has no consequence to you being in CA. though if some else does a search & find this thread could help them.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Ok thanks. Do you need a license plate or anything?
And what's the minimum age? I'm 17 btw.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Alright, I just have been reading the police do not care about license plates since for them it's just a bike. Is this true? Of course it's better safe than sorry, but I cannot imagine how bad it looks when the license plate is on it. And it's nice how you friend ed me in the other forum :) Looks like you have experience with the honda engine, one of which I was interested in and comparing it to other engines like the 66cc and 80cc and such.

I plan on making my bike be able to go like 40-45 but put a cap so it does not exceed around 30, and remove the cap when I'm in a private place racing it or something.

Last edited:

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
Can anyone tell me the requirements for Oregon?? It seems to be a non item in the Motorcycle and Moped Manual, and it is not considered anything according to what I read. State police said a drivers license is all that is required, but a city cop, after my riding this thing here for over two years, told me to get it off the road, and if I rode it in the bike lane, I would get a ticket.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Gary