How to use seafoam

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Very informative, thanks for sharing! I've used other products in cars, where you just dump into the carb until it dies, let it soak for 1/2 hour and fire it up and kill the neighborhood mosquitoes, heh heh.

For our small engines, do you think, with the air cleaner off:

-an old Windex bottle(or similar)
-seafoam sprayed into carb while running -misting it in would keep it running longer
-for I don't know... 5-10mins?
-then a little in the gas too?

That'd be good for the high miler's (not on Opti2, they get no crud :p). I can't see an HT or 4-smoker running long after dumping a cup of that into the carb, know what I mean?

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Seafoam is a great treatment for engines. I swear by it for my car and for small utility 4 stroke engines, particularly those prone to carbonizing in the upper cylinder and piston crown.
Recently I picked up a R/S EHO35 that was pretty new but had been used as a demo on a commercial concrete screed. The engine felt tired and unresponsive, rough running, inspecting the bore showed heavy carbon built up. I used Seafoam instead of tearing it down, warm engine, WOT and a spritz out of a spray bottle repeated 4 or 5 times. Rejuvenated, runs like a top, hard to believe it's the same engine.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Seafoam can be used directly in the tank. Just pour in the proper ratio for these little tanks and it will be like a fuel system cleaner additive for a car or MC.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
The video is a good start but should be more explicit about the procedure to prevent engine damage.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I cut and paste this from seafoam's website which shares my concerns:

You cannot spray seafoam into a diesel engine's intake so it is NOT safe to use this way for ALL internal combustion engines
Most people that own and work on Diesel cars and trucks know that no liquids or sprays should be used through the air intake system of a Diesel engine including cleaners and starting fluids. If this is done to a Diesel engine it can cause major engine damage including Hydro-Lock or uncontrolled engine acceleration known as “RUN AWAY”. Do not add Sea Foam® to the air intake of a Diesel engine!!

Gas Engines:

Liquids don’t compress and can cause an engine to hydro lock if too much liquid is applied. Always regulate the rate at which Sea Foam® goes into the engine. Never insert the vacuum line into the bottle of Sea Foam®, always pour Sea Foam® slowly into the vacuum line.

It is important to make sure the engine is at operating temperature. Then find a vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, usually the PCV hose or the vacuum brake booster line may feed all cylinders. If you are in doubt as to which vacuum line to use, YOU MUST check with a certified auto technician. If a technician is not available or if your engine doesn't have any vacuum lines, then use the Sea Foam® Spray method described in another section of this web site.

After the correct vacuum line has been located, start engine and disconnect vacuum line. With engine running at idle and at operating temperature slowly pour Sea Foam® into vacuum line. It is important to control the rate at which Sea Foam® goes into the vacuum line. The engine will labor while applying Sea Foam®. Pour enough Sea Foam® into the vacuum line to make the engine labor at idle, but not enough to stall engine.

After 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam® has been induced into the engine, shut engine off and let sit (hot soak) for about 5- 10 minutes and reconnect vacuum line. After the 5-10 minute hot soak period, restart engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test the vehicle immediately after start up, driving aggressively until exhaust looks normal. This usually takes up to 5 miles. It is always better and safer to road test car to clean the gum, varnish and carbon out of the engine.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
This video was just made while I was at work. A keened eyed viewer will see the Navy Uniform I was wearing. The reason I made this movie is because a few of my buddies text me with "I need you to show me how to put Seafaom in my car" texts.

I regulated (as you can see) the amount of seafoam going into the engine. I had my finger on it, and it it was a light few drops per 5 seconds. I have had a few friends try this with diesel, but I haven't. I've never had a diesel vehicle to try this on...

I have also tried to put this in my 66cc engine on my bike. I can't really tell a difference in it. But in the car, I sure did. Throttle response did improve almost immediately. and my gas mileage went up about 2 MPG (for now). Full tune up to come...

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'm not knocking sea foam, its a great product and something I use on a semi-regular basis.

I just wanted folks to know it should be applied carefully (slowly) into an intake for a gasser and never applied into an intake for a diesel.

Seafoam didn't do much for my HT engines but they are so low tech it probably doesn't matter.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i use to spray water into the carb of my old comaro to help clean up the carbon.
i never got to pull apart the engine but it did run better afterward.

now about the seafoam.

i am looking all over my motorized bike & can't seem to find a brake booster.
lol

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
About 4 yrs ago, had a nice clean 1987 3/4 ton Ford diesel long box pkup. The glow plugs must not have been getting power, it was cold weather, shot some starting fluid in the throttle body, broke a piston, had to sell it for junk. Duh! I`m still PO`D at my ownself!!