Possible new build

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi folks

Again, depending on when I can get my hands on kits from my local outlet, I'm thinking about trying to motorize this bike. It was left behind when the guys downstairs moved out last week. I'm just not sure about a couple of things:
First off, the tires themselves. They are skinny (just over an inch) high-pressure (85psi) racing tires. Will they hold up to the demands that a china girl will put on them?
And second, I'm thinking I'll need the change the handlebars from the old 10-speed curl to a straighter bar style. I'm thinking I could probably put the throttle on the existing bars, but I'm not sure how well it would fit. Any ideas?
If I don't convert this old beast I'll probably just sell it via Craig's list or use it for parts (but I'd prefer the space it takes over having it sit around for who knows how long if it comes to that).

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, as always.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I suppose it all depends on what your looking for. I'm sure the tires will hold up so long as they are not dry rotted or anything. I've built a few ccommuter bikes with skinny 700c tires and they work surprisingly well. The curly bars I see as a problem with controls not to mention comfort. If its a free bike why not try it out- nothing to loose but time on it but that time is also experience........

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.. I'm looking at it now and thinking of it for parts, as one of the bikes blew it's derailieur yesterday. I'm pretty sure I've got all the pieces, but it's at least the second time it's happened on that bike so I'll probably take the parts from it (or from an old kids' bike I have in the back corner of the garage).

If I do anything with it I know a place where I should be able to get a replacement handle bar, but I'm thinking it's probably more effort than it's worth to replace that and the wheels. The frame is nice and solid, which is why I've been thinking about it, but more likely it'll go to Craig's list and be turned into some parts money for another build. I have a pretty little cruiser I want to play with when I get another motor kit, and it's going to need a chrome exhaust and some other things.