Final word on Florida Motorbicycling laws.. Registration and Driver's License laws...

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
All,

** This is the final word direct from the Executive Director at the Florida HSMV (DMV)...

Emails over a weeks time have gotten these answers...

Good Afternoon,
I will address your latest concerns . . . in red, below.
You stated . . .
Ms. Adams,
I am confused . . .
On one hand you state that adding a gas powered motor does not make a bike street legal, but in the next paragraph, you state that Florida Statutes permit a person to operate a bicycle that cannot propel faster than 20mph, without a DL.
Response: *Ms. Adams/Ms. Lambert stated:
“Bicycles are not manufactured for use on highways. *Adding a gas powered motor does not make a bicycle street legal, as there are other requirements that must be met, such as frame assembly and safety features. *Bicycles are not titled or registered.
Florida Statutes permits a person to operate a bicycle that cannot propel faster than 20 miles per hour, without a regular Class E driver license.”
To elaborate, Florida Statutes permits a person, if at least 16 years old, to operate a bicycle with an electric helper-motor (not gas powered because gas powered bicycles are not street legal and cannot be ridden on the streets) not capable of propelling the bicycle faster than 20 mph on level ground (322.03(1), 322.01(26) and 316.003(2), Florida Statutes).
Can you see where I’m confused?
A gas powered motor (incapable of greater than 20mph) does not make it street legal, but the statutes say an electric bicycle with the same stipulations does make it street legal.
Response: *Again, gas powered bicycles are not street legal and are therefore, not legally allowed on the roads/streets.
As you can see, there seems to be confusion when asking specifically about gas powered motors on bicycles.
The assumption I have is that if you add a gas powered motor to a bicycle, it’s not street legal, but if you add an electric motor, it is. *(According to 316.003(2))
Response: *Yes.
I have asked specific questions and as of yet, no one has been able to give me specific answers . . .
If you can, please provide specific answers to each of the below questions . . . .
The following questions are still unclear . . .
1. * * * What size gas powered engine is allowed on a bicycle.

Answer: *None, legally.

1a. *If a bicycle has a 49cc engine, is there a Class E drivers license required?
Answer: *Gas powered bicycles are not legally allowed on the road.

2. * * * Is there any situation that would allow the use of a gas powered engine on a bicycle without the need for a Class E DL?

Answer: *See answer to 1a, above.

3. * * * If a bicycle with an electric helper motor that allows it to be capable of greater than 20mph need a Class E drivers license?

Answer: *Yes.

If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 850.617.2528, or the FRTP Program Manager, Kip Bickford, at 863.419.3420 (ext. 2).
BE SAFE, HAVE FUN – ENJOY THE RIDE!!
FLORIDA RIDER TRAINING PROGRAM
Bureau of Motorist Compliance
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Room A201, Mail Station #88
Tallahassee, Florida *32399
(850) 617-2528
Fax. 850-617-5172
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles - Florida Rider Training Program
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is committed to Service, Integrity, Courtesy, Professionalism, Innovation and Excellence in all we do. Please let us know how we are doing via our online customer service survey at Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

After it's all said and done...

You can NOT legally register a bicycle with a gas motor attached of ANY size, NOR may you ride it (under motor power) on public roads.
(This is, of course, unless you've already had it registered as a homemade moped, then I would guess you would be grandfathered in.)
For those already grandfathered in, you need a Class E driver's license to operate your moped on public roads.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Re: Final word on Florida Motorbicycling laws.. Registration and Driver's License law

All

You can NOT legally register a bicycle with a gas motor attached of ANY size, NOR may you ride it (under motor power) on public roads.
(This is, of course, unless you've already had it registered as a homemade moped, then I would guess you would be grandfathered in.)
For those already grandfathered in, you need a Class E driver's license to operate your moped on public roads.
Lots of guys riding gas bikes in Florida with no problems.
Guys like you that meddle with the lawmakers are a pain.

I have read most of your many posts about Florida laws
and I get the feeling that this email about gas bikes being
illegal in FL makes you happy? It has seemed to be your aim.

You ride an electric bike, right?

Some times it is best to let sleeping dogs lay...... and what
you have announced may not be correct.

Thankfully the laws in CA are fairly clear.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: Final word on Florida Motorbicycling laws.. Registration and Driver's License law

I agree with BiMoPed.
To ask a question is same as expecting the answer to be NO. They must, to avoid liability for their own actions. Safer for them.
Go about your personal affairs as you need to.
If the time comes that someone wishes to discuss your personal affairs, make your appearance before the muni court and ask them when, and how, you lost your right to travel. ...and use a bicycle.
If it gets around to it, advise them you are kind of a wimpy pedaler, needed to go a bit further than your capability, and required a bit of assistance in the form of your lawnmower engine/string trimmer/whatever...
Tell em you really don't think it's any of their business since you are very safe when out and about on your road system with the rest of the tax paying public.
It's kinda fun and very educational to go up before the little courts when you have a relative degree of certainty they are not going to stand you up against a wall before a firing squad. Always be polite, yet assertive. Nothing more they like to do than assert their own authority, and they do have quite a bit.

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.

a stick in the spokes thats what you are. stop allready its no big secret what you just found out. obey road rules,ride safe and keep your eyes open.

done

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

a stick in the spokes thats what you are. stop allready its no big secret what you just found out. obey road rules,ride safe and keep your eyes open.

done
Actually, it was a "big secret" since we've all been having lively discussions about it.

I WANTED to use a gas motor..
HAD to make SURE I could, without a license or registration.
That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.
I was HOPING to get a different answer, than I did.
Didn't turn out that way.
Every time I was told I didn't need one, I asked that person to send me an official, signed document stating as such.
When I DID finally receive a letter (actually two) from the people who stated I didn't need a license, the letter stating NOTHING about a gas motor or drivers license. When I asked for a letter with statements including gas and no license, I was told to email their supervisor for that..
That turned into going up the ladder at the DMV, little by little, until I broke down and just emailed the Executive Director. The Executive Director, sent my email to her direct subordinate who gave me the answers I posed an posted here.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Actually, it was a "big secret" since we've all been having lively discussions about it.

Every time I was told I didn't need one, I asked that person to send me an official, signed document stating as such.
When I DID finally receive a letter (actually two) from the people who stated I didn't need a license, the letter stating NOTHING about a gas motor or drivers license. When I asked for a letter with statements including gas and no license, I was told to email their supervisor for that..
That turned into going up the ladder at the DMV, little by little, until I broke down and just emailed the Executive Director. The Executive Director, sent my email to her direct subordinate who gave me the answers I posed an posted here.
You have been trying to stick it to the gas bikers in Florida for a very
long time.
What happened to your signature about your eBike that you just
deleted?
Electric Motorized Chopper - Electric Schwinn Stingray, Powered by Two 36v LiFePO4 20AH batteries and Two 36v 350w motors.
Total charge time from dead battery = 3.5 hrs.
Total distance capable = 80 miles (@20mph) or 117 miles (@16mph)
You definitely have an agenda about gas bikes. All you post about is FL
law stuff about gas bikes on both forums ad infinitum!!!
Ride your damn eBike and stop messing with the gas bikers.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

I don't know the OP so I've no clue if there is an agenda being worked but there does seem like some double standards going on in MB community. It's insinuated he's stirring things up and maybe he is but at the same time I see a whole lot of 'mission creep' going on with the idea of motorized bicycles in general, away from any idea of a small helper motor or pedal assist to larger and larger IC engines.......79cc, 99cc, 5hp, 9hp, 12hp.....on a closed track or private land sure, but on the streets?

It seems most states with defined moped/motored bike statues fall into the under 50cc, under 2hp, automatic trans guidelines yet THAT is clearly ignored. IMO, that is gonna do more stirring up than anything.

The signs are there, take care on the road ahead.

ostrich-head-in-sand-sign.gif

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

On 4/23/2011 Worksmanfl posted a link to a PDF file from the Florida DMV concerning our motorized bicycles. It stated that no registration or license was required. The PDF was dated 4/11/2011.

For any non-argumented, normal person this situation should have ended right there. This whole "thing" after that post on 4/23/2011 was just a self serving exercise that was nothing more than a waste of space on this forum.

You have had your say and gotten your attention. Now, please stop it.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

The problem stems from this...
1. Someone says.. Here are the Florida statutes.. This is what the statutes say.. (insert whatever statute you want). Someone else says... Well, forget the statutes.. The statutes don't say anything about a gas powered bicycle, it matters what the DMV says..

2. Someone says... Okay, here is what the DMV says..(insert DMV info). Someone else says.. It doesn't matter what the DMV says, it's what the statutes say...

People tend to want to take a small part from one thing and small part from another thing and a small part from something else altogether, to fit into what they want to be the "truth".

There have been anecdotal stories about many court decisions. Once the actual facts come out, they tend to go against registration and licensing of gas powered bicycles.
I personally have NOT seen ONE court decision that has stated clearly that you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle (under power) on public roads and/or operate it without a license. The DMV powers that be, have confirmed this with their correspondence with me.

Anyone else can take away whatever they want from all this discussion or ask their own questions and contact the DMV or state legislature themselves and get their own answers OR don't be bothered with any of it and just do whatever you want to do and reap whatever consequences, if there are any.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:
I don't understand the problem...
Why are people so "angry"? Don't you want to know what the law is? Isn't that the point? Everyone keeps complaining like little babies. The laws are written, there are some "grey" areas, people had some conjecture as to what the law is. Some people posted letters from DMV officials stating things, I emailed those same people and got the same responses. I asked for documentation stating as such and got something different. I WAS ASKED to dig deeper and contact the HEAD of the DMV. I got the answers and posted here. If you don't like the answers, go find out for yourself, instead of taking other people's word. Get DOCUMENTATION, and USE that documentation for your own needs.
It seems that people think I have an agenda...
CORRECT!! My "agenda" was to find out for myself EXACTLY what the law is, what the facts are, and get documentation.
Now, it seems to me, that there are 2 other kinds of people here with these agendas...
1.) Gas motor sellers... They dont care what the laws are, they only want to sell their product.
2.) Some without licenses... Want to skirt around the law by using conjecture and not fact.

There is NO current STATUTE about registration of a gas powered bicycle. NONE.
So you either have to reference the Moped STATUTE (which would require registration and license) OR the Bicycle STATUTE (which would limit CAPABLE speed to 20mph)
If you are going to use neither, you must reference what the HSMV states. The (current) PDF from the HSMV asks a question about gas motors, yet answers with a statement referencing bicycles with ELECTRIC motors. Another poster posted an email from an HSMV employee stating no license needed, so I asked for documentation from that person and got nothing about gas motors or licensing requirements. When I asked for a document with a statement about gas motors and licensing, that employee forwarded me to her supervisor to get that documentation. Didn't work out the way I wanted (or for that matter, most other people here) so we are where we are today.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

Too bad for Florida. It really is a great state in a great country.

The Laws and Legislation forum makes my brain hurt. :(

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

It isn't complicated or confusing. Just read what I referred to. Very simple if people would just stop trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Terry

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I'll try some quotes! lol

"I personally have NOT seen ONE court decision that has stated clearly that you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle (under power) on public roads and/or operate it without a license."

You won't see any caselaw defining what you may do.
YOU decide what you wish to do...
Laws, and refinements of them by the courts declare what you may NOT do, or conditions that have been deemed applicable.

and,

"Why are people so "angry"?"

LoL
No one is ever pleased when their freedom and liberty are curtailed!

There was another contributor, under this heading, or the other which is similar subject matter, who noted that today, in our time of less expensive transport, the MABs are indeed becoming more popular, and therefore, there SHALL be more regulation coming down the pike.
I agree.
It's the way things work.

Best
rc

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

All,

** This is the final word direct from the Executive Director at the Florida HSMV (DMV)...

Emails over a weeks time have gotten these answers...

Good Afternoon,
I will address your latest concerns . . . in red, below.
You stated . . .
Ms. Adams,
I am confused . . .
On one hand you state that adding a gas powered motor does not make a bike street legal, but in the next paragraph, you state that Florida Statutes permit a person to operate a bicycle that cannot propel faster than 20mph, without a DL.
Response: *Ms. Adams/Ms. Lambert stated:
“Bicycles are not manufactured for use on highways. *Adding a gas powered motor does not make a bicycle street legal, as there are other requirements that must be met, such as frame assembly and safety features. *Bicycles are not titled or registered.
Florida Statutes permits a person to operate a bicycle that cannot propel faster than 20 miles per hour, without a regular Class E driver license.”
To elaborate, Florida Statutes permits a person, if at least 16 years old, to operate a bicycle with an electric helper-motor (not gas powered because gas powered bicycles are not street legal and cannot be ridden on the streets) not capable of propelling the bicycle faster than 20 mph on level ground (322.03(1), 322.01(26) and 316.003(2), Florida Statutes).
Can you see where I’m confused?
A gas powered motor (incapable of greater than 20mph) does not make it street legal, but the statutes say an electric bicycle with the same stipulations does make it street legal.
Response: *Again, gas powered bicycles are not street legal and are therefore, not legally allowed on the roads/streets.
As you can see, there seems to be confusion when asking specifically about gas powered motors on bicycles.
The assumption I have is that if you add a gas powered motor to a bicycle, it’s not street legal, but if you add an electric motor, it is. *(According to 316.003(2))
Response: *Yes.
I have asked specific questions and as of yet, no one has been able to give me specific answers . . .
If you can, please provide specific answers to each of the below questions . . . .
The following questions are still unclear . . .
1. * * * What size gas powered engine is allowed on a bicycle.

Answer: *None, legally.

1a. *If a bicycle has a 49cc engine, is there a Class E drivers license required?
Answer: *Gas powered bicycles are not legally allowed on the road.

2. * * * Is there any situation that would allow the use of a gas powered engine on a bicycle without the need for a Class E DL?

Answer: *See answer to 1a, above.

3. * * * If a bicycle with an electric helper motor that allows it to be capable of greater than 20mph need a Class E drivers license?

Answer: *Yes.

If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 850.617.2528, or the FRTP Program Manager, Kip Bickford, at 863.419.3420 (ext. 2).
BE SAFE, HAVE FUN – ENJOY THE RIDE!!
FLORIDA RIDER TRAINING PROGRAM
Bureau of Motorist Compliance
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Room A201, Mail Station #88
Tallahassee, Florida *32399
(850) 617-2528
Fax. 850-617-5172
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles - Florida Rider Training Program
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is committed to Service, Integrity, Courtesy, Professionalism, Innovation and Excellence in all we do. Please let us know how we are doing via our online customer service survey at Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

The problem stems from this...
1. Someone says.. Here are the Florida statutes.. This is what the statutes say.. (insert whatever statute you want). Someone else says... Well, forget the statutes.. The statutes don't say anything about a gas powered bicycle, it matters what the DMV says..

2. Someone says... Okay, here is what the DMV says..(insert DMV info). Someone else says.. It doesn't matter what the DMV says, it's what the statutes say...

People tend to want to take a small part from one thing and small part from another thing and a small part from something else altogether, to fit into what they want to be the "truth".

There have been anecdotal stories about many court decisions. Once the actual facts come out, they tend to go against registration and licensing of gas powered bicycles.
I personally have NOT seen ONE court decision that has stated clearly that you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle (under power) on public roads and/or operate it without a license. The DMV powers that be, have confirmed this with their correspondence with me.

Anyone else can take away whatever they want from all this discussion or ask their own questions and contact the DMV or state legislature themselves and get their own answers OR don't be bothered with any of it and just do whatever you want to do and reap whatever consequences, if there are any.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:
I don't understand the problem...
Why are people so "angry"? Don't you want to know what the law is? Isn't that the point? Everyone keeps complaining like little babies. The laws are written, there are some "grey" areas, people had some conjecture as to what the law is. Some people posted letters from DMV officials stating things, I emailed those same people and got the same responses. I asked for documentation stating as such and got something different. I WAS ASKED to dig deeper and contact the HEAD of the DMV. I got the answers and posted here. If you don't like the answers, go find out for yourself, instead of taking other people's word. Get DOCUMENTATION, and USE that documentation for your own needs.
It seems that people think I have an agenda...
CORRECT!! My "agenda" was to find out for myself EXACTLY what the law is, what the facts are, and get documentation.
Now, it seems to me, that there are 2 other kinds of people here with these agendas...
1.) Gas motor sellers... They dont care what the laws are, they only want to sell their product.
2.) Some without licenses... Want to skirt around the law by using conjecture and not fact.

There is NO current STATUTE about registration of a gas powered bicycle. NONE.
So you either have to reference the Moped STATUTE (which would require registration and license) OR the Bicycle STATUTE (which would limit CAPABLE speed to 20mph)
If you are going to use neither, you must reference what the HSMV states. The (current) PDF from the HSMV asks a question about gas motors, yet answers with a statement referencing bicycles with ELECTRIC motors. Another poster posted an email from an HSMV employee stating no license needed, so I asked for documentation from that person and got nothing about gas motors or licensing requirements. When I asked for a document with a statement about gas motors and licensing, that employee forwarded me to her supervisor to get that documentation. Didn't work out the way I wanted (or for that matter, most other people here) so we are where we are today.
My eyes my eyes.....I cannot feel my eyes.

Is there any way possible you can be succinct and to the point? I may change to FlBikerider and I would like good info and not a bunch of gobbledygook.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida

Sangesf...For 2 1/2 years youve been stiring this pot...Time to move on...Ride your electric bike and let those who like gas motor bikes ride theirs

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

These subsequent posts are pure trolls.
Must all be gas motor sellers or people without licenses... It's getting obvious that there IS a secret agenda of those people.. So....
I'll be making it a point to have them update the HSMV procedural document with exact verbiage, so that there is no gray area anymore. How's that?

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

All I asked is for a short and to the point answer. Please report me if you are that offended. But it probably is not wise to publicly call other people names, that tends to piss people off.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

All I asked is for a short and to the point answer. Please report me if you are that offended. But it probably is not wise to publicly call other people names, that tends to piss people off.
Wasn't pointing to you..
Being succinct does not work with the people on here, I've tried that before.
And people have been trolling EVERY SINGLE ONE of my posts and at this point, it's time to fight back. It's obvious at this point that the gas motor sellers have an agenda and its time they either keep quiet or try to have the law changed.

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

Your posts also make no sense. Laws are inacted to restrict or prevent certain activities.
For example, there is no law saying you can mow your lawn, but there are laws that prevent you from mowing state parks.

That is why I quit reading after seeing
Florida Statutes permits
reguregetated as if from a conspiracy therorists notebook,.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida

Whats a troll? ...off shore fishing I guess...I like wadeing the flats..used to do a lot of shark fishing off the old Skyway Bridge back in the 60s and 70s..big time , heavy equipment fishing.....As Fulltimer says ...all this is making mountains out of molehills..Build your bike, gas or electric... don't ride like an idiot and cause people to complain in your neighborhood, you will be OK and the cops will leave you alone

Status
Not open for further replies.